AutoPatcher XP Windows Explorer slowdown

First of all, Hi to everyone on this forum!

The problem is following:

When I install Autopatcher XP (November, December or January) on fresh install of Windows XP SP1, Windows Explorer becomes slow (when I press Win+E it takes 5 or more seconds to show up). I've read an earlier topic that shares the same problem, but no real working solutions were posted.

I think it's not system related, because when I install Autopatcher XP on my notebook the same think happens.

After some usage, Windows Explorer starts showing normally, but after a while, it slows down again.

Autopatcher XP is installed with all the features and tweaks, but I think that none of the tweaks has something to do with it.

My PC specs: Abit IC7-G, P4 2.8HT, 1GB KingMax SuperRAM, Hercules Prophet 9700, 2x80GB Maxtora SATA ICH5 RAID0, Pioneer DVD 120S, Pioneer DVD+-RW 106D, Liteon 411SX DVD+-RW external.

Currently I'm not using Autopatcher XP, because I find this problem really annoying, so any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you installed all of the updates of WU instead? If so, and it still slows down, it will almost certainly be one of the regtweaks or extra apps that's doing it. AutoPatcher does not (to my knowledge) make any changes/additions that cannot be disabled or aren't available elsewhere.

BTW - welcome to Neowin! :)

I've installed all updates available through WU Corporate, but after installation everything works fine.

I don't know what's causing this problem and I'm not willing to experiment dozen times to find what's the main issue that's causing it, because it takes too much time.

If anyone had the simmilar problem I would like to know how to solve it.

Thanks!

hmmm... first let me welcome you to neowin & the autopatcher lounge :D thanks for posting...

I'll have to ask flishy to check if all those hotfixes included are the newest available... Looks like somewhere in there there's a naughty hotfix, so i guess we gotta find it...

/Raptor

I suffer exactly the same problem, if u need my system specs let me know.

I also find it really annoying, not annoying enough to stop using Autopatcher but very frustrating as it seems to be the only problem that i suffer from with my pc now

ok... can you guys do this for me? bring Task Manager up and move to the Performance tab... now just monitor the CPU usage and tell me if you see any weird CPU or mem usage during the time it doesnt respond :)

/Raptor

Hmmm... I don't have a slowdown with Win+E either... comes up fast. :/ I'll look through the hotfixes/tweaks again, but none should be affecting that. Have you tried a defrag? I always like to suggest it, ya never know, and the AutoPatcher DID add a lot of new files to your system...

Predictably Explorer appears to be ok presently, for me explorer seems to slow down sometimes when for whatever reason it trys to access the Internet, but it doesn't always try to access the Internet.

If i deny it access (via Zonealarm) Win+E won't work and i get an error (same goes for searching it also asks for acces to the Internet).

Excuse me if i'm not making much sense today was celebrating a succesfull project until the small hours.

Oh and the CPU useage jumps to 100% from around 50% is this normal?

Me I noticed that when I try to open the Printer Folder especially or other files and folders sometimes, I get a severe slowdown, for which even the Printer folder wont open for example.

Then just some general slow issues once inawhile.

Oh, the printer folder thing seems like it does it on startup, and then forever after, like it's continually trying to lode.

It's my wifes laptop, so can't really be more specific in what's going on, just noticed it a few times.

I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the USB port in which the printer is attached too.

It's one of those drivers that cause a Tray Icon to pop up by the clock when the thing is plugged in.

So, I wonder if it's something with that.....??? :blink:

btw... Slaughter posted this in the "AutoPatcher XP 4.2 Official Thread":

Found this article at Bink.nu. Tells you how to delete prefetch fles which can cause performance problems with computers.

Link: http://bink.nu/DesktopModules/ArticleDetai...?ArticleID=1389

News Source: http://www.prabhums.org/weblogs/?postid=70

Maybe a good thing to add to the next version?

Can you try that (empty the Prefetch folder)?

/Raptor

I've tried to empty the prefetch folder, tried to set prefetch paramaters to 0, defraged with Diskeeper. The problem stays the same. Currently I'm not using AutoPatcher, because of this annoying problem, I tried do add hotfixes through svcpack as many as I can during install of XP (almost all) and never had this kind of a problem.

Just to add, I also get the same problem but after awhile it goes away. Maybe a few days. As for now, I just did a fresh install and used the latest version and I only seemed to get the slow down on annother user account that's not the one I'm using. Don't know what changed. I doesn't bother me that much so I won't stop using AutoPatcher XP.

damn, this must be a problem in one of the hotfixes... but damn, its hard to spot... i experienced the slowdown on a PII 350 of mine, but after a few minutes it went away (and so far hasnt appeared again)

/Raptor

I was suggested to use Spybot Search & Destroy by another forum member, he had the simillar problem, and after use of this program, problem went away. (I don't really understand what does a spybot search program has to do with it, but we'll see).

BTW. The other day I've installed AXP without any tweaks, the problem stays the same so it's definetly a hotfix problem.

AutoPatcher XP is installed on my notebook which I use for testing purposes without any reg tweaks.

But the weird things is, many people don't have problems with AXP, but I have the same problems with my standalone and my notebook.

could it be the Advanced Networking Pack?

That's been known to cause issues, but normally only when the user is on dialup, and even then, only seems to happen when the user first boots and appears fine shortly after that (5 - 15 min). :/