[OSX86] Requesting Guide for installing OSX on VMWare Workstation

Google OSX In VMware by pcwiz

Also, make sure you purchase leopard, and tag the thread with [OSX86] next time.

Edited by omnicoder

Google OSX In VMware by pcwiz

Also, make sure you purchase leopard, and tag the thread with [OSX86] next time.

This is a request, not a support thread :)

I know there are thousands of guides but I trust Neowin above any other site to write a GOOD guide.

Besides, that guide is a version for 10.4.8 when were are at 10.5.3.

Yes, but I would guess that if he is asking for 'support' for installing Leopard in vmware, then he plans to use OSX86, and I have never actually seen someone purchase leopard before OSX86'ing, so it was just a friendly, oversized reminder.

This isn't supported by VMWare, so you'll have a hard time. I believe a hacked up version of Leopard is required, which would fall outside of what is allowed here, as the only way to get that version would be via illegal means. I guess you could probably create one yourself with a purchased copy of OS X.

This isn't supported by VMWare, so you'll have a hard time. I believe a hacked up version of Leopard is required, which would fall outside of what is allowed here, as the only way to get that version would be via illegal means. I guess you could probably create one yourself with a purchased copy of OS X.

Chad

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=639781

BTW Weren't you a ex mod?

Not to be rude to the mods or anyone else at Neowin.net but I feel this was a really bad call on their part. I think there needs to be a sub forum or something in the mac area for this discussion. I for one don't care to read how some 13 year old is having problems installing his downloaded version of leopard x86. Epic FAIL...

Fail at trying to act mature :)

By calling me a thirteen year old, you automatically lose all credibility.

<snip>

Links to either Virtual Installations or DVD images are considered warez and are not allowed - bmaher

Edited by bmaher

Good grief!

You mean, he will show you how to download pre-cracked files. (insanelymac link)

Do you never learn? :no:

Good grief!

You mean, he will show you how to download pre-cracked files. (insanelymac link)

Well AFAICS that link contains no names so....

Its gray :p

Well, it is obvious to all that he has posted direct links to cracks. Then tried getting around that by posting links to sites that link to cracks to download... Now, I guess that he is down to linking to people who will link to them for you when you PM them.

And that link contains the person's recent posts/threads, so could very well show his links to OSX downloads at any time, since that is what is contained on that site.

Good grief!

No.

I mean he will tell you how to VMWare it yourself, starting with the official leopard installation disc from apple.

Well, it is obvious to all that he has posted direct links to cracks. Then tried getting around that by posting links to sites that link to cracks to download... Now, I guess that he is down to linking to people who will link to them for you when you PM them.

And that link contains the person's recent posts/threads, so could very well show his links to OSX downloads at any time, since that is what is contained on that site.

By the logic in your post then this is a crack site too:

http://www.google.com

By the logic in your post then this is a crack site too:

http://www.google.com

Well, it is all a matter of degree. If I said "google this specific person, and they will help you", it is different than just saying "google".

Well, it is all a matter of degree. If I said "google this specific person, and they will help you", it is different than just saying "google".

Why bother arguing Mark? Its a losing battle, even though you are correct in what you are saying.

The gray point between what is "ok" and what is not is not set or known at this point. Discussion helps clarify that, and Neowin staff will have to be consistent.

There is a difference between arguing and discussing. I like to discuss, but find arguing distasteful, so I don't argue very much (arguing is too emotional and reason is generally thrown out).

Why did you post that link?

Urm... Because you posted this...

I believe a hacked up version of Leopard is required, which would fall outside of what is allowed here,

I believe you mean Neowin? Also, it is allowed here so long as you dont talk about downloading cracked versions. However, cracking OS x IS allowed due to a bylaw in the US...

The topic is OSX86....Putting google and the topic name in google is the same thing has just saying go to google and put the topic name.

Why bother arguing Mark? Its a losing battle, even though you are correct in what you are saying.

He isn't correct :( Why is everyone against using OSX86 on PCs when it isnt illegal?

Fortunately, yes.

Fortunately, you aren't anymore.

I hope someone posts a new tutorial for Leopard and VMware. I wanna try it out :)

The topic is OSX86....Putting google and the topic name in google is the same thing has just saying go to google and put the topic name.

He isn't correct :( Why is everyone against using OSX86 on PCs when it isnt illegal?

I hope someone posts a new tutorial for Leopard and VMware. I wanna try it out :)

He is correct in what he is saying, it is a grey area. Although it is not illegal to do, it is illegal to install a cracked copy. Its legal to install a real purchased copy from a retailer, but not legal to download a cracked copy from a torrent.

What he means, if i read right, is that MODs will be consistent through the forums and ensure that people dont cross the boundary of talking about legal things to talking about illegal things.

I would advise you drop the ssarcas toward ex members of the staff groups regardless of past events. It will only result in disaplinary action taken against you by the current staff...

Well, I guess it's become clear where to look at. Anyway, I've tried it (OSX as a vmware guest) and it's painfully slow. What you do is, you set the guest to be "BSD 64-bit", then I guess you need a special SMBios and whatnot for it to work, although I'm not sure if there are instructions available on what needs to be done. I guess it would be difficult for a 'normal' user because it would require to successfully install OSX first, make an image of the drive, and modify certain files... OR, get the DVD image, and modify the files, repack it as an ISO, and then attempt to install it using vmware.

I think that virtualizing OS X inside a os x host was going to be supported by VMWare. No other hosts are allowed because apple doesn't allow it.

Anyway, from what I saw, it's not worth it. :p