Win7 Twitter App

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a Windows app for Twitter. Originally I was going to stick it in the notification area but have since decided to put it in the task bar, therefore it will be Windows 7 only.

Some areas, such as parts of the UI are in the early stages (see screenshots below).

I'm after a few things, firstly would you be interested in an application such as this? And, if so, what would you like to see in it?

I am planning on implementing basically all the most common tasks, so users don't have to actually launch the website, unless they want to of course.

Thoughts, guys?

post-64291-1250912163_thumb.png

post-64291-1250912218.png

You're entering a pretty crowded market. Theres a lot of stand-alone twitter apps out there. I guess all the basics would be good. I still just go to the website or use my phone when I want to hit up twitter, I haven't really gotten into using the stand alone apps.

I'm using Sobees rite now - but I like how you are going to implement twitter into the Win 7 taskbar - I think that'll be quite useful and handy. I don't know how Facebook API works etc...but if you can implement both together, that would be exactly what I'm looking for (and I don't mean just reading Facebook status' but also being able to comment on them or like/share etc.. That will kind of distinct your program from the crowd as I believe Sobees is the only that does that.

Again, I have no knowledge of this so I don't know how much work it is. I just know that Sobees does that, but it doesn't implement well with Win 7 taskbar and if yours does, I would definiltey love to use it.

This app looks great, really love the use of the new Windows 7 features.

My only issue so far (which I have with most Windows 7 apps I've seen) is the way the text is displayed in the Preview overlay seen here:

w7otqh.png

Is there anyway for this to be displayed on a white background?

I'd guess there is as WMP shows album art with the Text at the top, shown here:

2ladct2.png

Other then that this app looks awesome, would defo use :)

I would like it to run in the notifications area, with a right click bringing up the options you see in the screenshot on the task bar. If you can do that, then id definitely download and use it :) Not really a fan of having yet another app on my task bar, so yeah, if you can make it run in the notification area, it would be perfect :)

I'm using Sobees rite now - but I like how you are going to implement twitter into the Win 7 taskbar - I think that'll be quite useful and handy. I don't know how Facebook API works etc...

I was going to create a separate app for Facebook, but with that idea I'll look into integrating them into one program.

Is there anyway for this to be displayed on a white background?

Yep, and that is was I plan to use, IMO it make it to hard to read without a solid background. I was just playing around with the glass text.

Is this a .net app? If so, what are you using for the Win7 API?

Download the Windows7 Taskbar Libraries :)

I would like it to run in the notifications area, with a right click bringing up the options you see in the screenshot on the task bar. If you can do that, then id definitely download and use it :) Not really a fan of having yet another app on my task bar, so yeah, if you can make it run in the notification area, it would be perfect :)
Amazing, i want one for vista/xp so i can use on my other machines!! Nice work.

I will add support in for Vista, possibly XP and users who just want it to run in the notification area. :)

That would be perfect if you can get both together on Win 7 and implement its usage on the taskbar - I'm very much looking forward to it as I've been impressed with your logonwallpaper proggie for Win 7.

Yep, and that is was I plan to use, IMO it make it to hard to read without a solid background. I was just playing around with the glass text.

Sweet, thnx for the update, defo agree that without a solid background it is much harder to read, plus it just doesn't look all to pretty :)

Quick update: I will have something near finished by the end of the week hopefully, if anyone is interested in testing/feedback then please Email or PM me :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very nice, while I agree Twitter apps is a flooded market, integrating with Windows 7 is not, and it would help yours stand out.