Get the old "Screen Resolution" or "Display Settings" back on Windows 10

Yosh. Hello Neowinians. How are you doing today? I have been tampering a bit with Windows 10 B. 1024 and have learned a way to point back the "Display Settings" context menu to point me back to the old "Screen Resolution" on the desktop's context!

First of all, please, read the post completely. This involves tampering with the registry and I'd recommend to back it up first before doing something unwanted. 

If someone knows a better method I'll be glad to read it :)

Ok. Here it goes:

This is our desired result:

post-306374-0-74585800-1437749413.jpg

To achieve this, we need to:

1. Head to the registry, by typing "regedit" in the Run command (Win key + r) or the search box. It will prompt you for an administrator confirmation.
  2. Go to the following folder: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display\command"

The following Steps are required for enabling special permissions so you can modify these registry keys: 

Please note that the following procedure enables the special permission only for the specific folder or path. Folders that are inwards or upwards will not be affected. 

I got all of the procedure from here, it includes picture. I've transcribed what it is in there:

http://tipsandtricksforum.com/thread-235.html

1. We need to enable special permissions for editing. So right click the "command" folder and select "Permissions"
  2. Press "Advanced" on the Permissions for command"
  3. Where it says "Owner: Change", Press the "Change" link
  4. On the "Select User or Group" popup that just appeared, click "Advanced"
  5. On the new window, click "Find Now"
  6. On the list that just appeared, look for your username, select it, and hit "OK"
  7. Now, you should be back on the "Select User or Group" window, press "OK" to close the box.
  8. Mark "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click "Apply". DO NOT CLOSE WINDOW YET
  9. Press the "Add"  button
  10. On the emergent window, click "Select a principal" hyperlink
  11. The Select User or Group will pop up again. We shall do the same steps:
  12. "Advanced"
  13. "Find Now"
  14. Select your username and click "OK"
  15. Now in the checkboxes that appear, mark as selected: "Full Control", and click "OK"
  16. Press "OK"

Now, we can finally edit our key. Continuing with our stuff: (Remember: We are working with "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display\command")

1. Delete the "DelegateExecute" value. 
  2. Double click the (Default) value and copy and paste the following inside:
  3. rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl
    That's it!

That will allow you to pin point to the original "Screen Resolution"

Secondary - If you want to change the name from "Display Settings" to "Screen Resolution"

For achieving this, we need to enable the special permissions to the "Display" folder. 

We will do exactly the same procedure as we did with the "command" folder, but now with "Display"

Go to the following folder:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display\"

Yes, it's the folder that is upwards of the "command". 
  1. We need to enable special permissions for editing. So right click the "Display" folder and select "Permissions"
  2. Press "Advanced" on the Permissions for Display"
  3. Where it says "Owner: Change", Press the "Change" link
  4. On the "Select User or Group" popup that just appeared, click "Advanced"
  5. On the new window, click "Find Now"
  6. On the list that just appeared, look for your username, select it, and hit "OK"
  7. Now, you should be back on the "Select User or Group" window, press "OK" to close the box.
  8. Mark "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click "Apply". DO NOT CLOSE WINDOW YET
  9. Press the "Add"  button
  10. On the emergent window, click "Select a principal" hyperlink
  11. The Select User or Group will pop up again. We shall do the same steps:
  12. "Advanced"
  13. "Find Now"
  14. Select your username and click "OK"
  15. Now in the checkboxes that appear, mark as selected: "Full Control", and click "OK"
  16. Press "OK"

Sorry for being so verbose with this. This is just for clarification purposes only!

Then edit the (Default) value and type in whatever you want!

post-306374-0-33735700-1437751364.jpg

In case you messed up with something or want the default back, here are the default values:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display\

(Default)

@%SystemRoot%\System32\display.dll,-4

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display\command
DelegateExecute REG_SZ
{556FF0D6-A1EE-49E5-9FA4-90AE116AD744}

I hope you liked it! A little bit cumbersome due to the special permissions! 

• Like 4

Any chance of getting the old action centre options panel open? Not to replace the new one, just to access to disable Windows Defender messages.

Edit - apparently yes with the old windows 8 godmode trick! Thanks for giving me the idea :D

Any chance of getting the old action centre options panel open? Not to replace the new one, just to access to disable Windows Defender messages.

Edit - apparently yes with the old windows 8 godmode trick! Thanks for giving me the idea :D

Hehehehe. No probs ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for asking, but why? Microsoft will be working to remove the legacy Control Panel, and this could end up breaking things.

Forgive me for asking, but why? Microsoft will be working to remove the legacy Control Panel, and this could end up breaking things.

Sure it could, but right now nobody knows when the next major update is, so some people don't care.

IMHO, MS may be working to remove control panel, but I can't see that happening for awhile, there will be a lot of work involved and other issues may be the priority for the near future....Cheers

Yup. Because although it's unbelievable I've been switching monitors from place to place. Been moving a lot (have a laptop btw). And I'm moving the monitors from space to space.

And this UI is more compact than the new one.

And yes, I've submitted 3 times a suggestion on improving the current PC settings.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot for the updates! :D. Yup, Winaero's solution is FAR WAY BETTER.

With their infamous god mode panel, I don't think this will be soon removed. But will be hidden, I guess!

• Like 1

Sorry but what they've done to screen saver and resolution settings is a huge step backwards.

• 1 month later...

This. 

People hate change. Still a part of our lizard-brain. Change requires energy, which isn't optimal for self-preservation, thus we naturally resist it. 

People hated aero when it just came out, now they love it and hate the flat UI. 

It's funny once you start noticing the patterns.

• 6 months later...

Thank you very much!

every time I rebooted my computer I had to use the nvidia control panel to adjust the resolution because it wasn't available on the windows 10 panel at all, and obviously for no reason at all it was lost every boot... I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers (more than 2x) and got nothing.

this solution solved it all!

thanks³³³³³

1 hour ago, duilio said:

Thank you very much!

every time I rebooted my computer I had to use the nvidia control panel to adjust the resolution because it wasn't available on the windows 10 panel at all, and obviously for no reason at all it was lost every boot... I tried reinstalling nvidia drivers (more than 2x) and got nothing.

this solution solved it all!

thanks³³³³³

There are resolution controls in the Windows 10 Settings app.

Capture.PNG