Scan in your Walmart receipt(s) for a digital archived copy

In this I admit I feel a little behind the times on this one. My mom asked me today how you scan in the QR code at the bottom of a Walmart receipt. Never realizing there even was one on the bottom of all the receipts I took a look. It said to use the walmart app. So she downloaded it and scanned it and was amazed to find a digital copy of her receipts as well as a detailed listing with photos and prices of everything she bought.

It also scans everything you bought and price compares them. if it finds something you bought cheaper someone where else, it gives you the difference on an egift card, so that's nifty too.

I just know that at the end of the month doing my Quickbooks and coming to a Walmart entry it will be neat to look up what I bought (yes I could save the paper receipts but I don't.)

Happy Scanning!

21391062105_c230e2c139_c.jpg

21203006280_5d5406bfd6_c.jpg

21364885026_ffd5565d5f_c.jpg

a bit off topic, but:

i kinda thought it will be the post about the importance of scanning all your important receipts.

i needed to present some receipts for tax purposes, and they were old,
and (i assume because of cheap ink and paper, and hopefully not malicious intent) 
you could barely read them.   created a bit of a situation, that was finally resolved after 1 month, and a lot of wasted hours. 
if it was not resolved i was looking to lose 30k to tax men.

so, it is always important to keep the receipts you might need for taxes in digital form, as well as the originals.

a bit off topic, but:

i kinda thought it will be the post about the importance of scanning all your important receipts.

i needed to present some receipts for tax purposes, and they were old,
and (i assume because of cheap ink and paper, and hopefully not malicious intent) 
you could barely read them.   created a bit of a situation, that was finally resolved after 1 month, and a lot of wasted hours. 
if it was not resolved i was looking to lose 30k to tax men.

so, it is always important to keep the receipts you might need for taxes in digital form, as well as the originals.

Oh I use to before I bought a lot online. I just looked in my receipt envelope and found the receipt for a red Panasonic cord less phone I bought at walmart in 2003

Now that I bought most of my stuff on amazon I have a kazillon filters on thunderbird which sort my emails from Amazon and other places for stuff I buy. If I buy something from walmart and if it's something I think I can deduct I keep the receipt.

When I do keep the receipt, I have a document scanner I scan them into and put them in the correct sub folder as a PDF which then gets backed up to carbonite and other hard drives. One in a safety deposit box monthly.

Given that very often, when we buy something at a major store chain, we have enrolled in some kind of loyalty program with that store, it should be a bandwagon more places should jump on. Apple already do it when it comes to emailed receipts.

On a related note, the fact that some places give you a paper receipt as long as your leg for buying just one item and expect you to keep that sucker for as long as you may potentially need to return the item still makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Asda (owned by Walmart) over here do a similar thing.

Once you're home, you can put your receipt details into their website and it calculates how much your shop would have cost at other stores, and if they're not 10% cheaper they give you a voucher for the difference. They don't use QR codes though - they never took off over here.