ESA Wants to Blacklist Canada

The country isn't doing enough to protect intellectual property, the industry watchdog says.

The International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA) is a coalition of U.S. software, music, and movie producers working to protect the copyrighted materials of its members. Our own industry support group, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), is a member of the IIPA, and is thus part of an effort to convince the U.S. government to add Canada to a blacklist of countries the IIPA believes are soft on copyright infringement.

The IIPA alleges Canada's copyright laws are antiquated and do not provide sufficient protection for intellectual properties in the digital age. It is not illegal to videotape a movie in a theatre in Canada, for instance, and mod chips that allow pirated software to play on a game console are a thriving business in the country.

IGN spoke with Danielle Parr, Executive Director of ESA Canada, who told us her organization has been wrestling with the Canadian government over this issue for the ten years it has been in existence. Parr says the previous Prime Minister, who was replaced one year ago, was particularly unyielding on the matter, but that current PM Stephen Harper has been more open to discussions.

If the Bush administration agrees to blacklist Canada the country will join Russia and China on a list of 'pirates' who might face challenges with the World Trade Organization and possible sanctions. The U.S. placed Canada on a lower-priority watch list three years ago, but the IIPA is recommending the country be moved up to the 'priority watch list.'

"Canada's long tenure on the Watch List has had no discernible effect on Canadian copyright policy," the IIPA argued in its submission to the U.S. government. "Consequently, IIPA believes that [the United States Trade Representative]should elevate Canada to the Priority Watch List as a concrete expression of U.S. disappointment that the Government of Canada has given insufficient priority to this crucial item of unfinished business.

"At a time when every other developed country and major U.S. trading partner has made significant progress toward modernizing copyright legislation to respond to the challenges of an ever changing technological universe, Canada's failure to do so is particularly striking, and should elicit a commensurate reaction from the U.S. government."

Source

Let them blacklist us. Then they'll really see some piracy here. What a bunch of greedy ###### :angry: .

When I saw ESA, I thought you were talking about the European Space Agency, an ESA that really matters...

...unlike the ESA in your post. No one gives a rat's ass what those paid corporate lobbying shills have to say about anything.

I wonder if they have the balls to blacklist China, India, Russia, and all of Southeast Asia while they're at it.

China and Russia are blacklisted. Anyway I agree with this, Canada's laws are archaic regarding copyright infringement.

Ever see Bowling for Columbine? (For those who didnt see it, Michael Moore explored the motive behind why the two kids from Columbine shot up their school by exploring different facets of America...trying in one part to compare them to Canada.)

At one point he compared USA and Canada. USA has tons of gun-related deaths a year, while Canada has enough for the US to consider as being "none" (11,000+ vs 100+). He tried to figure out the discrepancy.

Racial diversity? Nope...just as much diversity in Canada as in the US.

Gun ownership? Nope...gun ownership is just as high in Canada as in the US.

Violent video game exposure? Nope...Canadians have access to the same violent games as Americans.

Violent movie exposure? Nope...Canadians have the ability to see the same movies as Americans see.

One thing Michael Moore didnt cover was piracy laws.

Seems like the piracy laws in Canada are a lot more lax than in the US. Eureka! ...thats it. Stricter piracy laws equate to more violence and gun deaths.

I think the US needs to lighten up on piracy laws...

Ever see Bowling for Columbine? (For those who didnt see it, Michael Moore explored the motive behind why the two kids from Columbine shot up their school by exploring different facets of America...trying in one part to compare them to Canada.)

At one point he compared USA and Canada. USA has tons of gun-related deaths a year, while Canada has enough for the US to consider as being "none" (11,000+ vs 100+). He tried to figure out the discrepancy.

Violent video game exposure? Nope...Canadians have access to the same violent games as Americans.

Violent movie exposure? Nope...Canadians have the ability to see the same movies as Americans see.

Seems like the piracy laws in Canada are a lot more lax than in the US. Eureka! ...thats it. Stricter piracy laws equate to more violence and gun deaths.

the most twisted, convoluted logical conclusion ever :p

i as a Canadian agree with your logic.

sure we have crimes here, Pickton trial is a huge example of that

and we pay a tariff on every blank CD we buy that goes to SOCANN, regardless of that cd's actual use.

so IMHO ESA can suck it with thier make believe blacklist of Canada, and deal with the real loss of intellectual property ......overpriced physical media

i as a Canadian agree with your logic.

sure we have crimes here, Pickton trial is a huge example of that

and we pay a tariff on every blank CD we buy that goes to SOCANN, regardless of that cd's actual use.

so IMHO ESA can suck it with thier make believe blacklist of Canada, and deal with the real loss of intellectual property ......overpriced physical media

Actually, it is not just CDs and DVDs. Any digital storage device has a fee on it when purchased (Included in price). This fee goes to artists and such that lose money due to piracy and such.

When I say any digital storage device I mean even iPods, HDDs and such.

the ESA can KISS my White Canadian A$3. we Canadians we pay a tariff on every blank CD. so if they want to go after ppl go after the ones who we all pay a tariff to. I have paid more then lets say $5,000.00 in tariffs within the bast 5-7 years. so to me I HAVE TO RIGHT TO TAKE AND NOT PAY.. but i have yet to take and not pay..

I believe this is called shooting yourself in the foot.

People are pirating your software?, stop selling it to them!, great idea.

Edit: oh yeah, and with the laws, it's the US with the stupid laws, not Canada or Australia (although ours are getting stupid like the US, they tried to ban search engines here), or etc.

oh and to prove that Canadians pay a Copyright levy

Copyright group seeks to boost MP3 player prices with new levy

CBC.ca - 12 Feb 2007

Canadian music industry representatives are reopening an old debate about MP3 players that could see the average price of the devices climb by as much as $75.

Cost of iPod or MP3 may be on the rise Vancouver Sun (subscription)

Copying Collective goes for broke p2pnet.net

Regina Leader-Post (subscription) - Legalbrief (subscription) - Digital Media Wire

all 23 news articles ?>

So that right there proves that we Canadians have to right to Download Copyrighted stuff for free since we Pay for the copyrighted stuff in a sence if a Copyright levy... so to the ESA (GET A LIFE)

Notice how there are basically no privacy in the US? RIAA can just go to Mr.ISP and say hey give me the IP address of Mr.X and we'll sue them for $10000 for downloading 1 song?

The laws are the way they are in Canada to go after the UPLOADER not the downloader. The uploader is the one providing the information.

You already do not have right to make a backup of your own music that you own or videogames that you purchased that you can make a legal backup copy. The publishers aren't going to give you another replacement if somehow your Xbox malfunctions and scratches up your game. That is why mod chips are popular to allow you the person who bought the game to make a copy.

I hope this doesn't work. I hope Canada respond with the Finger.

China and Russia are blacklisted. Anyway I agree with this, Canada's laws are archaic regarding copyright infringement.

Yeah so they should be BULLIED into conforming with the greed and ideals of another country.

I don't know anything about Canadian law but I do know that the American policy of playground bully is wrong. It's about time they stopped trying to enforce their laws and culture onto other countries.

I believe this is called shooting yourself in the foot.

People are pirating your software?, stop selling it to them!, great idea.

Edit: oh yeah, and with the laws, it's the US with the stupid laws, not Canada or Australia (although ours are getting stupid like the US, they tried to ban search engines here), or etc.

WTF? That's like banning the internet!

god i hope you are kidding.

I hope this doesn't work. I hope Canada respond with the Finger.

With our current PM (Stephen Harper), I am doubtful. He may insert that Canadian finger inside his own posterior orifice and ask Mr. Bush how many times he should rotate on it.

This is so stupid, just because we don't sue the pants off everyone with something remotely related to piracy doesn't mean we are encouraging piracy. Our laws regarding marijuana aren't very harsh, doesn't mean we are encouraging it. We just don't waste are time with petty crap that ****es more people off then helps. As its been said before, the every US government organization are greedy bastards.

Of course, someone with the tagline mentioning "LeechFTP" doesn't give a rat's ass about Copyrights and would want the US to "lighten up on piracy laws.

As someone who has had a personal hand in having at least 20 Warez & Software Piracy Websites over the last 10 years closed by turning the info over to Microsoft via piracy@microsoft.com, I'm not suprised that you support Software Piracy.

--ScottKin

With our current PM (Stephen Harper), I am doubtful. He may insert that Canadian finger inside his own posterior orifice and ask Mr. Bush how many times he should rotate on it.

yeah Haper is a PU33Y..