Windows Mail Gadget? or min to tray

That link above is for Windows Live mail, not Windows mail. So I don't think it'll work as the OP wants.

You could try the POP email checker here: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=9&libid=63

It will tell you the number of emails sitting in a pop account, but if like me, you leave your emails on the pop server it will say there's new mail all the time.

Discotheque: It will work with Windows Mail, you know how i know? Because i made it! It does work. It works with any mails client that tells windows how many unread mails there are.

azz0r: no

Discotheque: It will work with Windows Mail, you know how i know? Because i made it! It does work. It works with any mails client that tells windows how many unread mails there are.

azz0r: no

sorry, I only assumed that as the desciption only mentioned Windows Live Mail :)

I probably changed something in the options, but it minimsies to tray on close for me.

When your on the switch user screen (WIN+L) if the unreadmail count there shows thunderbird email, then itll work

also one other question, is it possible to hide or minimize to tray windows mail, so it doesnt always sit open in the taskbar?

Try "Minimizer XP" - its Freeware and you can minimize all Windows you want...

It works with Vista with nop Problems !

thanks it works great, aside from the fuggly icon it puts in the titlebar, i was also gonna check the registry for windows mail to see if it could also be done there

outlook should be able to do it natively

You mean in the system tray? Thats all it does for me, it be nice to be able to find out how many are new.

• 1 year later...

I tried that gadget and it doesn't ever notify me. From what I am understanding in the fine print of the gadget is that it finds unread mail from Live messenger. Not Live Mail itself. I don't use the messenger but I love the Live Mail. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my understanding of why I couldn't get it to work. It always read zero on the gadget.