Disable sound accelaration in Windows 7

If you have a card like a Creative Labs one you can disable the hardware enhancements in the Playback devices>Enhancements tab of the sound control panel. It's labeled "Audio Enhancements" if it's available. DirectSound doesn't have a hardware abstraction layer anymore.

If you have a card like a Creative Labs one you can disable the hardware enhancements in the Playback devices>Enhancements tab of the sound control panel. It's labeled "Audio Enhancements" if it's available. DirectSound doesn't have a hardware abstraction layer anymore.

Could you give a screen shot please? I didnt understand very well where it is located.

If you're talking about DirectSound, there is no longer any hardware acceleration since Vista due to the new HAL-less audio stack. It's emulated as DirectSound is deprecated in favour of XAudio 2.

Could you give a screen shot please? I didnt understand very well where it is located.

Right-click on your speaker icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices".

1. Select your speakers

2. Click Properties

3. This box will have an checkbox to disable the hardware acceleration if the option is available. (It should be there if you have a Creative card and are using their drivers rather than the ones from Windows Update.)

post-175510-1253563171_thumb.jpg

If it is Creative and you're trying to disable enhancements because you are having trouble with WMP or other applications complaining about enhancements there's a fix for that on Windows 7 x64 (courtesy of daniel_k @ forums.creative.com):

- Open a Command Prompt window with Admin privileges (Run As Admin).

- Type C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Addcat.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\UDAAPO64.UDA

- Close the window and restart Windows.

Can I ask the reasons why you want to disable such a feature?

That's why I asked about his sound card brand. Creative's current drivers are broken and the hardware acceleration screws everything up due to a typo in the installer. :(

That's why I asked about his sound card brand. Creative's current drivers are broken and the hardware acceleration screws everything up due to a typo in the installer. :(

Ahh, I use PAX's audio drivers and never had a problem with them, Creative drivers on the other hand. *facepalms*