Windows XP Update KB977165 causing BSOD's

Windows XP Update KB977165 Causing BSOD

I just thought I would let everyone know, that some windows XP machines after installing the update KB977165 released February 9th 2010 will cause a BSOD on windows XP with the stop message STOP Error 0x0000007E. Its unclear whether a Malware infection has to be present on the machine to conflict with the update. Haven't gotten that far yet.

I've already had 2, maybe 3 calls about it already this morning. Don't worry though, there is a fix.

You can uninstall the update via the recovery console using the following instructions thanks to Meridian Networks from the Dell support community.

1) Boot off a windows xp setup cd to the recovery console

2) Change directories to the uninstall directory of update in question: At the C:\windows prompt, type "CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst" and press Enter.

3). Run in the uninstall script for that update: At the prompt, type "BATCH spuninst.txt" and press Enter. This executes the txt file as a batch script.

You'll also want to boot into safe mode and set automatic updates to download but do not install. Other wise when you boot into windows it will automatically reinstall the update.

Pretty much every time a problem like this crops up, it turns out to be a problem with the computers involved rather than the update itself.

I'm willing to bet it's the same here, too.