80's pop sensation a-ha to call it quits

OSLO ? Norwegian pop band a-ha says it plans to call it quits at the end of 2010.

A statement on the Norwegian trio's Web site Thursday announced the move, which comes after a 27-year career interrupted by a seven-year hiatus in the mid-1990s.

The band became an international sensation in the mid-1980s following the release of its 1985 debut album, which included the hit "Take On Me." Although the group went on to release eight more albums, a-ha remains best-known for that song.

Thursday's statement says that band members want to follow other pursuits, "be it humanitarian work, politics, or ... new constellations in the field of art and music."

The band plans to arrange a world tour in 2010, playing its final concert in Oslo on December 4.

souricon.gif News source: Associated Press

I actually have all their albums, and this breaks my heart.

I really hope they come near my home town so I can catch part of the farewell tour. :(

I only liked one song and that was the film song to The Living Daylights (James Bond)

Yeah, I really liked that song. I thought they had broken up years ago.

i thought these guys collected on Take on Me and called it quits ages ago.

Why bother? These guys are ghosts these days.

You don't know how horribly wrong you are. I have several of their albums, and actually they just came out with a new one. But their album from a couple years ago, Analogue was absolutely incredible. You gotta give it a listen. They really matured from the Bubblegum Modern Rock pop they produced in the 80's.

80's music = poo

Not all of it. Simple Minds were at their best in the 80's.

Sons and Fascination / Sister Feelings Call - 1981

New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) - 1982

Sparkle In The Rain - 1984

Once Upon A Time - 1985

Street Fighting Years - 1989

post-427-1255623728_thumb.jpg

80's music = poo

Funny you should say that.. only three of their nine albums came out in the eighties.

-Studio albums.-

1985 Hunting High and Low

1986 Scoundrel Days

1988 Stay on These Roads

1990 East of the Sun, West of the Moon

1993 Memorial Beach

2000 Minor Earth Major Sky

2002 Lifelines

2005 Analogue

2009 Foot of the Mountain

I may mention that A-Ha is one of the busiest bands in the world too, as of October 2008, a-ha have held 461 concerts around the world.

I have two of their albums, Take On Me's video clip was really brilliant considering the time it was released, it was really impressive, "The Sun Always Shines" is another great song and video from them, and yes some of their most recent music is actually really good.