Windows Genuine Disadvantage

Anyone else's Windows suddenly could not validate anymore with error 0xc004c4a5? The WGA user forums is full of topics about it now.

It might be a false positive, this is a known problem with WGA. Try to contact Microsoft, they should be able to fix it.

call them .. had to do the same not long ago. They will ask you if you installed it in any other computer then they say its done try again :)

sucks but what can we do?

no it's not an end user problem, apparently it was a result of the last two automatic updates or something, basically nobody using Vista could validate as Genuine at the moment (so don't try). Also apparently they're working on a fix right now.

I think this story deserves to be moved to the main page. This is affecting ALL Vista and XP machines which attemp to validate through WGA to install / download an update from Microsoft. Upon reboot, Aero gets disabled along with other features. Reactivating Windows does nothing.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowFo...4&SiteID=25

Some users have been told to re-validate on Tuesday. Completely unacceptable.

WGA free. The way to go :p

But seriously. You should contact MS and complain to them till they fix it. Cause, Windows Updates are MS's problem as well.

Here's and idea! Someone should start a class action against Microsoft for consequential damages due to lost business, time spent contacting support, and the overall pain in the arse that this is becoming.

Even if their license agreement claims no responsibility for consequential damages, I highly doubt that a US court would think twice about granting a judgment for a qualified claim considering the non-avoidable and no warning nature and the catastrophic impact this is having on computers worldwide.

Another thought...

Shouldn't Microsoft know to fully test the impact of any hotfixes / server changes on an isolated system before wreaking worldwide havoc? Shame on you Microsoft!

Updated my kid's Vista Home Basic (OEM copy, pre-installed on PC). No problems. Doesn't have Aero to lose. ;)

Must be a specific subset of users.

Try re-validating now before they cause another fk up. I had the problem downloading a file, now i passed validation and can download it. Now its just a matter of seeing if i can enable all my aero and stuff :s

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

OK, Just restarted my computer and everything is back to normal. For those of you who receive the error here's what to do:

1) Visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

2) Click Validate Windows

3) Upon successful validation restart your computer and everything will be back to normal, including aero interface.

Edited by ShaunyRig

Anyone else's Windows suddenly could not validate anymore with error 0xc004c4a5? The WGA user forums is full of topics about it now.

Windows Genuine Disadvantage Servers are down and out until Tuesday. You will lose your Aero Glass and the ability to play video games and anything else that uses DirectX from what I've seen.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3318&rss

Do not waste any time troubleshooting this, Do not reinstall anything, Microsoft's error trapping cannot detect that the WGA servers are unreachable and instead tells you your copy is pirated.

Windows Genuine Disadvantage Servers are down and out until Tuesday. You will lose your Aero Glass and the ability to play video games and anything else that uses DirectX from what I've seen.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3318&rss

Do not waste any time troubleshooting this, Do not reinstall anything, Microsoft's error trapping cannot detect that the WGA servers are unreachable and instead tells you your copy is pirated.

And if you read the official M$ Forum posting you will notice that there is a [temporary?] fix on the issue and you are now able to validate

And if you read the official M$ Forum posting you will notice that there is a [temporary?] fix on the issue and you are now able to validate
sed 's/M$/Microsoft/'

Also see a few one-posters trolling Ubuntu in there. :rolleyes:

sed 's/M$/Microsoft/'

Also see a few one-posters trolling Ubuntu in there. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't like Ubuntu that much.

Edited by bmaher
removed comment

Sorry. Thought by your use of "M$" that you were a Linux user. In which case you would have recognized the command to replace M$ with Microsoft.

to: markjensen

About your sig (Flash Sites suck), I totally agree. My 8 year old B&W G3 can barely load flash based websites, so I get very bad web performance.