[10.6] Native NTFS Read/Write

This was enabled by default in previous developer builds, but was disabled in the GM for some reason. (could be bugs or stability issues) This is not supported by Apple and it is your own responsibility if something goes awry.

So if you're fine with taking some risks, proceed. Otherwise, use solutions such as Paragon NTFS or NTFS-3G--which are supported by their respective developers.

1. Open TextEdit. Format -> Make Plain Text.

4h2x37.png

2. Paste the following in the file. Replace XXX with your partition name.: LABEL=XXX none ntfs rw

3. If you have more than one NTFS partition, just paste a new line with the different partition name.

4. File -> Save As to your Desktop. Save the file name as: fstab. Uncheck "If no extension is provided, use .txt"

1zlenoh.png

5. Navigate to Finder. Go -> Go to Folder. Enter /etc in the input prompt.

15nni4j.png

2ujmc6d.png

6. Drag/drop the fstab file from your Desktop into the /etc folder. You'll need to authenticate it. If you have a file in there already named fstab.hd, just leave it in there.

7. Restart.

s25zs1.png

Note: If the 'label' method doesn't work as shown Step 2, replace it with this: UUID=XXX none ntfs rw. You can find the UUID of your partition in Disk Utility. Right click the partition on the left in Disk Utility and click Information. It'll be called the Universal Unique Identifier.

Does this work when your kernal is forced into 64-bit mode? I've kept myself in 32-bit mode just to run NTFS-3G since it does not working 64-bit mode..

• 2 weeks later...
It stopped working today?

I remade the fstab file this time using the UUID and that didn't fix it

????????

Did you manage to get it working again? I tried it last night and it works for me...

It stopped working today?

I remade the fstab file this time using the UUID and that didn't fix it

????????

my fstab with incomplete UUID

UUID=5BF837B6-3122-4F5A-BFFD-**** none ntfs rw

UUID=2E32AECE-96C3-4700-85AA-**** none ntfs rw

Works fine

I discovered that for some reason when using the fstab mod, the windows partition sometimes needs to do a checkdisk at boot time, even though I did not use any program to schedule one in windows.

when the partition is set to run the checkdisk, it won't have write permissions under OS X even with a proper fstab using either LABEL or UUID.

Also sometimes even thought it has read permission nothing will show up in finder, which with Fstab removed works fine

If booted to Windows Partition and the Checkdisk is allowed to run and complete the next time it is accessed under OS X it will again have write permission.

Not sure if it was just my iMac, but on a fresh install of Snow Leopard the Finder would randomly crash or quit and refuse to relaunch. After removing the mod it stopped.

Edited by Guest

I discovered that for some reason when using the fstab mod, the windows partition sometimes needs to do a checkdisk at boot time, even though I did not use any program to schedule one in windows.

when the partition is set to run the checkdisk, it won't have write permissions under OS X even with a proper fstab using either LABEL or UUID.

Also sometimes even thought it has read permission nothing will show up in finder, which with Fstab removed works fine

If booted to Windows Partition and the Checkdisk is allowed to run and complete the next time it is accessed under OS X it will again have write permission.

If there's a "fault"* then the driver will mount it in read only mode to stop possible corruption, the driver's aren't perfect yet so it's the best fail-safe to prevent issues.

* When I say fault, it might be something as simple as (and most likely will be) an unclean dismount, it doesn't necessarily mean there's actually anything wrong.

If there's a "fault"* then the driver will mount it in read only mode to stop possible corruption, the driver's aren't perfect yet so it's the best fail-safe to prevent issues.

* When I say fault, it might be something as simple as (and most likely will be) an unclean dismount, it doesn't necessarily mean there's actually anything wrong.

Probably why it's not on by default :p But works great here :D