fedora core 4 test 1 out

get it @ usual mirrors

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

or use a torrent

http://torrent.linux.duke.edu/index.html

Fedora Core 4 Test 1 has been released. This release comes with prereleases of GNOME 2.10, KDE 3.4, OpenOffice.org 2 as well the latest server software like MySQL 4.1.10 and PHP 5.0.3.

Notable features of FC4test1 include:

. gcc 4.0 as the primary system compiler

. GNOME 2.10.0 Beta 2 included

. The Eclipse IDE included along with some featured plugins

. A solid foundation of Java packages for developers (ant, gcj, tomcat, struts, more classpath stuff) and the ability to possibly run Java apps through gij.

. Lots of package updates

Edited by neostyle

"and the ability to possibly run Java apps through gij."

This is the reason I don't like fedora. They never TEST their os, they just slap it together and say "oh, it should work". THis is why I wrote off the first 2 after testing them, they were rubbish. I never did test 3 though, but from previous experience and their lack of testing, I don't want to try 3 or 4.

Interesting

I use slack and it good cause i acautlly learn it.

It a bit of pain with slack and school, but never the less

I think fedora core is almost like another os but runs on the unix base

Plus fedora has bug in there programs

somehow...i've had this since sunday night... :blink: how is that possible? :unsure:

[update] ...well, it says it's Core 3.91 ...what the hell is that? [/update]

Edited by xxdesmus

somehow...i've had this since sunday night... :blink: how is that possible? :unsure:

[update] ...well, it says it's Core 3.91 ...what the hell is that? [/update]

585621328[/snapback]

Lots of people do that.

Previous version.9x means beta of the next version

ex. Gnome 2.9.90 = 1st Beta of 2.10

KDE 3.3.91 = 2nd beta of KDE 3.4

Get what I am saying?

Fedora is probably different and uses 1 instead of 0, though.

Notable features of FC4test1 include:

. gcc 4.0 as the primary system compiler

585620457[/snapback]

I'd be very interested to see how that works out for compiling random apps. AFAIK, gcc4 still has quite a few issues to be worked out before it's even practical...

:/ I can't get it to install period on my system. I keep getting a whole bunch of errors :wacko:

[EDIT] I figured it out... if you're trying to install FC4 using VMware Workstation, don't pick a SCSI drive as that will just error out during installation. At least, this is what happened to me.

Edited by Hurmoth

this hurt deep :cry:

585623191[/snapback]

At least you weren't the numbskull that typed in "thread closed", but forgot to actually close the thread. :pinch: :rofl:

At least you weren't the numbskull that typed in "thread closed", but forgot to actually close the thread. :pinch:  :rofl:

585623832[/snapback]

lol at first i thought .. oh ok .. this must be a joke :huh: lets enjoy... :happy:

boog just came back and :pinch: ... i was like what the :wacko:

oh.. one of those days ..:p...

can i get information some where, that all the packages list which will come with this OS? I am assuming this OS is free, is there any way to run Windows application on this OS?

P-II 233MHz

128 RAM

What are the possibilities to run this OS on the above configured machine.

I am assuming this OS is free, is there any way to run Windows application on this OS?

P-II 233MHz

128 RAM

585624123[/snapback]

Yes, the OS is free. I think that smaller and lighter distros like Small Linux would work better on your computer. Linux in general works well on older computers, but the newer distros may run slower.

Go to http://www.linuxiso.org for more on many versions of Linux.

Barney

I know this is just test1, but it is extremely unstable ... I've crashed a half-dozen times before being able to log in correctly.

[EDIT] I decided to install it on a seperate partition of my test system and it works just fine. I think it must have had a lot of problems with VMware Workstation.

is there any way to run Windows application on this OS?

P-II 233MHz

128 RAM

585624123[/snapback]

Yes, you can (sortof) run Windows apps in Linux, using wine. I think that Fedora comes with wine on the CDs, but does not install it by default. I don't use it, as there is no Windows app that I need to run. Is there some app in particular you are looking for?

As for using that particular PC, yes it will work, but KDE and Gnome will be sluggish. I would recommend using a lighter Window Manager (XFCE maybe, or IceWM or one of the *box managers).

I know this is just test1, but it is extremely unstable ... I've crashed a half-dozen times before being able to log in correctly.

[EDIT] I decided to install it on a seperate partition of my test system and it works just fine. I think it must have had a lot of problems with VMware Workstation.

585624316[/snapback]

I find that unless you are really interested in debugging, you are better off with a non-"test" release. You could, for example, install FC3 and just update your packages to try out the latest KDE or what-not that you were interested in.

Yes, the OS is free. I think that smaller and lighter distros like Small Linux would work better on your computer. Linux in general works well on older computers, but the newer distros may run slower.

Go to http://www.linuxiso.org for more on many versions of Linux.

Barney

585624218[/snapback]

Newer distros run FASTER, not slower. It is the OPPOSITE of windows. Windows gets bigger, bulkier, and slower. Linux gets whatever size the distro makers want it to be, but gets to be better optimized with every kernel release, so it runs faster.

"and the ability to possibly run Java apps through gij."

This is the reason I don't like fedora. They never TEST their os, they just slap it together and say "oh, it should work". THis is why I wrote off the first 2 after testing them, they were rubbish. I never did test 3 though, but from previous experience and their lack of testing, I don't want to try 3 or 4.

585620653[/snapback]

Of course FC 1-4 are going to be relatively buggy, Fedora Core is simply a testing bed for Red Hat's enterprise versions. They put together a relatively stable OS with the newest of everything and put it out for people to use, that's why the came up with 'Bugzilla' so people can do their beta testing for them, then they'll put out another test version and a few more updates after that, next thing you know you have Red Hat 10, 11, 12, and so on...