Stuttering in NFS-MW

I have been reading all over the NFS community that a lot of people are experiencing stuttering in Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I have the same problem. Is it due to the amount of RAM I have? (512MB) or is it my graphics card (6600GT)? I think I need more memory but the game system requirements is 256MB. I have double that. My CPU is up to notch (Intel Pentium 4 3GHz with HT enabled).

It does not stutter the whole game, only ossacional, especially when being chased by police cars or in races. Do I need more memory or a better video card?

meh, I don't understand the stuttering to be honest; my specs:

AMD athlon 4000+

3 GB RAM (yes I really mean 3 GB)

a geforce 6800 ultra (from leadtek)

and a k8n SLI platinum mobo (MSI)

updated both the game and my gfx driver, but it didn't help. went into the registry and doubled the amount of memory the game reserves for itself and that didn't help either. I really don't know what's causing the game to stutter, but It does seem like the stutter is always in the same places on the map tho.

Sluttering and how do you solve it.

Method 1

Right Click My Computer

Properties

Hardware Tab

Device Manager

Sound Video & Game controllers

Right click

Audio Codecs === Properties === properties tab

Windows Media Audio change priority to 1 as shown in screenshot added

priority can be changed by right clicking and properties == change priority to 1

==========================================================

Method 2

Use PCI-Latency tool 3

Change the Value of ur GFX card from Default 248 to 128

============

Method 3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Need for Speed Most Wanted]

"CacheSize"="3044530176" ===> is equal to 362MB on a 512MB Ram machine i changed mine to 2102576090

"SwapSize"="0"

=====================

Method 4

Lol i am using a NO-CD stuff ... and sluttering is much more reduced ( PLEASE DONT ASK WHERE TO GET IT / HOW TO GET IT / USE IT AT UR OWN RISK IF U WANT TO / DONT PM ME )

post-44892-1136909479_thumb.jpg

I am using the NO-CD file too. I have already changed the Windows Audio thingy to 1 but I have changed the RAM cache in the registry. I will see how that goes before I proceed on the PCI tool.

See here a screenshot of my PCI latency tool. Where is the graphics card? It's a Jetway nVidia 6600GT bought late last year. I know I would get the 6800GT but it's too expensive here.

post-30282-1136911203_thumb.jpg

Your card isnt mentioned because its a AGP card and not a PCI-E card. Maybe you would want to try the older PCI Latency tool 2 which was supporting AGP as well ( since my Geforce4 MX 4000 was listed when i ran the proggie )

Huh? My 6600GT is a PCI-E and is plugged into a PCI-E x16 slot in my mainboard which is a MSI 915P Combo.

This card in the photo is what I have in my computer.

Ok, came back from the game. No changes. Still stuttering.

post-30282-1136918947.jpg

Do you have a lot of processes running in the background? Close everything you don't need before running the game. What detail settings are you running the game on? For the sake of argument put everything on low and see if it still does it. It's possible the game is running out of system RAM and going to your HDD's swap file, thus causing the stuttering.

I did lower the settings, even reseted the settings back the way the game had when I first installed the game. No luck. I don't think this is something to do with the graphics. The stuttering is not something to do with the graphics display. Yeah, I think it's trying to access the cache from the HD (paging).

I had thought that I needed more memory from the first time I experienced the stuttering but I am already going to get some anyway.

Well that's obviously a ping problem either due to the host or your connection.

Yep. Same happens to me on Halo PC but it's just pings and connections, but when I play single player, it's smooth unless millions of Covenant on one screen. lol.

Well that's obviously a ping problem either due to the host or your connection.

Yea I know, I'm just sayin. :p

Topic starter: the stuttering occurs because the game has issues with CPUs that use more than one logical processor (dual cores or Pentiums with HT). Since you have a Pentium 4 with HT enabled, this could be part of the problem.

Scroll down to "Dual-Core CPU issues" in this tweak guide for more info.

game runs fine on my 32mb radeon mobility, 512mb ram.. my t42's vid card, this thing runs evertyhing, call of duty 2 is smooth at 1024x768 and its min requirements are 64mb vid card.