Sony PS3 Preesentation (IGDA)

Well I have just got back in from the Presentation held by igda about Developing for the PS3 which was taken by George Bain who is the Development Support Manager of the SCEE Technology Group.

It was interesting to hear about all the technical side of things of the ps3.

It also cleared up some rumours that have been making there way around the internet lately, unfortunatly he couldnt say much as it was a public event but he have these things to say:

1. The PS3 will support two 1080p screens and the screen isnt duplicate (rumour going round on several boards saying that Sony have scrapped this feature).

2. He did say that the CONSOLE design ISNT FINAL, which was interesting and releaving to know.

3. Why the reaosn for 7 controllers and not 8? well the PS3 is the 8th device.

4. Someone asked about the delay and he did say that they are still on for the spring release.

Alot of people asked about other things, but his usual comments were:

"They aren't finalised yet".

"That is a business decision".

"This is a public presentation so I can;t reveal any information on that".

He was leaning towards the fact that at DevStation there is going to be alot of facts and figures being released to the developers who attend DevStation.

Someone asked about the cost of a Dev Kit for a developer company, he dedcided he couldnt comment, and then they said, how about in comparison to the PS2 Dev Kits, again no comment.

So role on DevStation and definatly E3, because thats when everyone is going to be happy when they hear facts and figures.

3. Why the reaosn for 7 controllers and not 8? well the PS3 is the 8th device.

"In soviet Russia.....the console plays you"

I always wondered about the 7 controller weirdness, and it's good to hear nothing is finilised. There is a lot I am looking forward to with PS3, but I presonally don't like the controller design, or their choice of font for the logo... Aside from that I think the unit itself is sexeh! Bring on spring!

I really don't see this coming out in the spring. I bet they're going to pull the Valve scheme of "We didn't say Spring of 2006..."

two 1080p screens

wow... So I guess you CAN spend more on the displays than on the PS3. :-p

If it is not final, then there is probably no way that they will be releasing the PS3 in the first half of 2006.

Thanks for the info Scazza :)

no probs man. Just thought it might clear some things up for people.

It has certainly got me interested and excited once again. And i think they are definatly playying the same stratergy they did with the PS2 launch as like the guy said at the presentation, its been 9 months since they announced the PS3.

Thanks for the news, Scazza. Interesting that the design is not final because the PS3 they showed was ugly, in my opinion.

Spring release only means one thing: :drool:

Spring release yet so much is unfinalised?

Yeah, right...

It's gonna be interesting to see this release though. From the information put out by both parties (MS/Sony) they seem to be going different routes. MS have been about the experience whereas Sony have more of a hardware bent.

just because he said the design that WE saw wasnt going to be the final design, doesnt mean that they havent chosen a final design yet.. and the controller isnt going to be a boomerang.. they already said LONG ago that that wasnt the final design

Yeah, right...

It's gonna be interesting to see this release though. From the information put out by both parties (MS/Sony) they seem to be going different routes. MS have been about the experience whereas Sony have more of a hardware bent.

but tbh, i think the reason he was saying it was "Unfinalised" is because he hasnt had the offical word to say anything to the public because then we cud just do what i did here but with all the information people want. So he is just saving his back, thasts what i think but then again i might be wrong.

Highly surprising that it's still set for a spring release yet there are so many things unannounced and unfinalized. Spring is just a month away--when's DevStation? E3 is in May I know.

Highly surprising that it's still set for a spring release yet there are so many things unannounced and unfinalized. Spring is just a month away--when's DevStation? E3 is in May I know.

http://www.devstation.scee.com/ :D

Where/When

This year DevStation is taking place in the Atlantis Gallery at the Old Truman Brewery, in the vibrant surrounds of London's Brick Lane. The event takes place over two days, Wednesday, March 1 and Thursday, March 2 2006. There will also be entertainment on the evening of March 1.

DevStation is next week.

Yeah, right...

By unfinalised it doesn't necessarily mean everything is incomplete. All the hardware could be finished, it could be something stupid as the decision of what final controller design they want to go with or maybe the console's case. Or even I think the last we heard the blu-ray group couldn't decide on some standard, which was holding things up.

Nice info though.