Thumbnails Preview Error ?

Hi y'all.

First post, first problem with Vista, hope you guys bring me some help rolleyes.gif

Quick as possible: I used to have thumbnail previews on my mp3 and video files .

I mean, every single mp3 file with cover art attached to it used to show up clicking on the folder

view menu ("mosaic" and "large icons").

Video files behave the same way, a small thumbnail appeared showing the content of the

file (avi & mpeg included).

Now, both of them doesn't show anything but the file icon. Kinda messy because some older

files already show that preview, but the newer ones doesn't. The green bar on the top of the

explorer window used to search for new files and place the thumbnail over the newer ones, now

it doesn't come up anymore.

could be some kind of problem with new software installed?

I'm on Vista Ultimate x32, 5'9 on Aero. Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry about my english, i'm spanish laugh.gif

PS(2): Here's a screenshot of the problem. As you might see, some files

show the cover art (older ones) but some files not (newer with covers attached too!)

post-208988-1172682675.jpg

• 2 months later...

hm.. i'm having some kind of same problems... my *.avi videos don't show previews any more. mp3s and pictures (bmp, jpeg, gif, ...) work fine... I KNOW that avis USED TO work but now it stopped. i got divx installed and the videos play fine in wmp.

could the problem be connected to that my live folders previews dont work; i mean windows explorer doesnt show the contents of the folders in preview (see this pic: http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/103...dliveicons.jpg) or may be thats just another problem...

aprreciate any help guys ;)

This problem is codec related :)

It seems you are using winamp to play most your files and if so, winamp doesn't have the same charachteristics than wmp11 for thumbnails etc...

I Can advice you to right click on one of your files, select to "open with", choose open with wmp11 and make sure the box that says "apply to all media" is checked.

You will than see if you get thumbnails for everything, than it means that winamp is the troubleshooter.

I can also advice to uninstall any codec you installed previuosly and only install one single codec pack , such as the K-lite all in one package, which has done the job for me for a long time.

You will find the K-lite here: http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

Hope it helps

Regards

SFkilla

Well at first; the problem doesn't seem to be connected to the open-with-thing. All *.avi's are and always have been associated with WMP. Nevertheless, I do have Winamp, Nero and VLC Media Player installed... I did not install any codec packs; only the normal DivX distribution from DivX.com...

Should I still try to uninstall DivX or Nero or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into the same problem with Nero. Many other have as well. Unfortunately, uninstalling Nero didn't fix the problem for me. I looked around and couldn't find a solution. I tried reinstalling the codec pack that I use after removing Nero and that still didn't help. I ended up reinstalling Vista. Good luck with this problem. If you, or anyone can find a fix for this let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say it's an association problem technically, in that XP let you choose whatever program you like but gave you extra control to overwrite the icon independently allowing Winamp + Thumbnails. As in their infinite wisdom MS decided to remove this functionality you'll probably have to set it to WMP11 to get them back OR find a third party tool.

I have a similar problem using MPC for videos.

p.s - You re-installed Vista just to get thumbnails??? Wow that's overkill.

I'd say it's an association problem technically, in that XP let you choose whatever program you like but gave you extra control to overwrite the icon independently allowing Winamp + Thumbnails. As in their infinite wisdom MS decided to remove this functionality you'll probably have to set it to WMP11 to get them back OR find a third party tool.

I have a similar problem using MPC for videos.

p.s - You re-installed Vista just to get thumbnails??? Wow that's overkill.

As I said before, I can almost guarantee that the problem here is not Winamp, but almost definitely Nero. Secondly, yeah I reinstalled Windows, but my installation was only 2 days old. Lastly, the problem was more than just thumbnails. All of the media functionality built into Explorer was screwed up too. Not overkill at all.

on my laptop, thumbnails work fine....klite codec pack full, and nero ultra edition

but on my desktop, no thumbnails, same software installed

on my laptop, thumbnails work fine....klite codec pack full, and nero ultra edition

but on my desktop, no thumbnails, same software installed

Interesting. That does put a little twist on this. Out of curiosity, what version(s) of Nero are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting. That does put a little twist on this. Out of curiosity, what version(s) of Nero are you using?

Hi..I'm having the same problem..Lately any new avi. files don't have the preview thumbnail. Its not a big deal, but it does somewhat ruin the aesthetic..I don't have nero, and the only codec pack i have is the K-Lite mega pack!!

Here's a pic to show!!

Untitled.jpg

i don't know if thats really codec-related. had the same problem some time ago with my .pdf files and got it fixed by changing the default program for pdf files, apply, then changed it back to adobe reader again and after that i had thumbnails on every pdf file again.

• 1 year later...
I've run into the same problem with Nero. Many other have as well. Unfortunately, uninstalling Nero didn't fix the problem for me. I looked around and couldn't find a solution. I tried reinstalling the codec pack that I use after removing Nero and that still didn't help. I ended up reinstalling Vista. Good luck with this problem. If you, or anyone can find a fix for this let us know.

i have the same thing guys i installed Nero and then uninstalled it but the problem didn't go away and i don't want to reinstall vista that looks like alot of work do u have any other solution plz?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i have the same problem and it's very serious having a cover art for the mp3 files really saves time , nd i've been surfing the internet for days now trying to find a solution but i couldn't, i have Nero 7 Ultra Edition i contacted some pro. technician at a windows forum and they couldn't solve this.

Is there any other way,or u have to reinstall vista :no:

Hi y'all.

First post, first problem with Vista, hope you guys bring me some help rolleyes.gif

Quick as possible: I used to have thumbnail previews on my mp3 and video files .

I mean, every single mp3 file with cover art attached to it used to show up clicking on the folder

view menu ("mosaic" and "large icons").

Video files behave the same way, a small thumbnail appeared showing the content of the

file (avi & mpeg included).

Now, both of them doesn't show anything but the file icon. Kinda messy because some older

files already show that preview, but the newer ones doesn't. The green bar on the top of the

explorer window used to search for new files and place the thumbnail over the newer ones, now

it doesn't come up anymore.

could be some kind of problem with new software installed?

I'm on Vista Ultimate x32, 5'9 on Aero. Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry about my english, i'm spanish laugh.gif

PS(2): Here's a screenshot of the problem. As you might see, some files

show the cover art (older ones) but some files not (newer with covers attached too!)

[/quote

• 10 months later...

For those of you who purchased Nero 9 (not the newer Nero 9 Reloaded), here is what you'll need to do to install Nero AND get your thumbnails back:

Doing a Full Installation of Nero 9 (Pre-Nero 9 Reloaded) onto Windows Vista x-64

1. Create a folder on your desktop named "Nero 9"

2. Take a black marker (such as a sharpie) and write "DO NOT USE" on the original Nero 9 Installation CD. Do not throw the disk away.

3. Uninstall Nero 9.

4. Restart your computer.

5. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html#tab4" and download the Nero General Clean Tool. Save the file in "Desktop\Nero 9\Tools\General Clean Tool\"

6. UnZip and then Run the General Clean Tool.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-update.php" and download the Nero 9 update. Save the file in "Desktop\Nero 9\Nero 9 Installation\"

9. Run the Nero 9 update program. Three things will happen during the update (but I can't remember which order they happen in.):

a. You will be told you need to install an update program to continue the installation. Do so.

b. You will be asked if you want to purchase Nero 9. Click on the purchase button (or it might say "buy"), and enter the serial number that came with the Nero software you purchased.

c. You will be asked to choose which programs you want to install. I selected everything, so I'm not sure what happens if you only select some of the programs.

10. The Nero software will start to install. This process takes a long time (about 30 minutes in my case.)

11. Once the installation program is complete, restart your computer.

12. Go to your start menu, and find the icon for "Nero Control Center" (Go to Start > Nero > Nero Control Center).

13. Right-click on the icon (a menu appears), then Left-click on "Run As Administrator". (You will need to do this even if your user account already has administrator rights)

14. Now, repeat step 13 on all of the program icons in the Nero 9 folder.*

15. Ok, let's check our progress. Start the "Nero Control Center". (Go to Start > Nero > Nero Control Center)

16. Check the list of Nero Programs. The programs that SHOULD NOT be installed are:

- INCD

- Nero BackItUp 4

- Movie Templates (Pack 1)

- Menu Templates (Packs 1-3)

- Nero Live

- Nero Live Gadget

- All Help files

- All Manuals

17. Close Nero Control Center

18. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-backitup-update.php" and download the BackItUp 4 update. Save the file in "Desktop\Nero 9\BackItUp 4 Installation"

19. During the installation, you will be asked for your serial number. Use the BackItUp 4 serial that came with your purchased software.

20. Restart the computer.

21. Go to your start menu, and find the icon for "Nero BackItUp 4" and set it to Run As Administrator (the same thing you did in step 13

22. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html" and download the x-64 version of Nero InCD. (Do not download the InCD Reader)

23. The installation will ask if you want to restart. Do so.

24. From this point on, you can ignore the Nero Control Center, because it will not be showing correct information. InCD will still be showing as not installed.

25. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-helpfiles.html" and download the "All-In-One Download Package". Save the file in Desktop\Nero 9\Nero 9 Help Files"

26. Run the file.

27. Restart your computer.

28. OPTIONAL: Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero9-manuals.html" and download the *.pdf manuals. Save the files in "Desktop\Nero 9\Nero 9 Manuals"

29. Go to "http://www.nero.com/enu/nero9-template-packs.html" and download the template packs. As of 12/6/09, there are 5 packs. Save the files in "Desktop\Nero 9\Template Packs"

30. Install each of the template packs.

31. Restart your computer.

WARNING!!! Only do steps 32 through 41 if you are missing thumbnails for video files.

32. Go to "http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FIXMissingThumbnailsForVideosWMVAVIMPGInWindowsExplorer.aspx" and download Scott Hanselman's registry file. You will need to right click on the download link and left-click on "Save As".** Save the file in "Desktop\Nero 9\Missing Thumbnails Fix\"

33. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options. Click on the "View" tab, and make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked.

34. Go to "Desktop\Nero 9\Missing Thumbnails Fix\" and rename "fixvideothumbnails.txt" to "fixvideothumbnails.reg".

35. Click on the Start button, and in the "Start Search" box type "regedit". You should then see "regedit.exe" listed in the start menu. Run regedit.

36. Click on "File > Export". An "Export Registry File" window will appear.

37. Click on the "Desktop" button to save the file on your desktop.

38. In the "File name:" box, type "Backup"

39. Under "Export range", choose "All".

40. Click on "Save". (WARNING: It is very important that you don't try to multitask while the file is exporting. The registry file is quite large, and multitasking might cause registry editor to stop responding.)

41. Go to "Desktop\Nero 9\Missing Thumbnails Fix\" and Double click on "fixvideothumbnails.txt" to apply the changes to your registry.

Ok, that's all I have so far. Here are the problems I haven't worked out yet:

a) Installing Nero Live

b) Installing Nero Live Gadget

c) Fixing Nero Control Center to correctly show the programs, help files, and manuals that are installed.

* I don't know if this is really necessary for all the nero programs, but it is important to do this to Nero Start Center (it saves you from having to unlock it every time you run it) and Nero Burning Rom (it stops a Class ID error from appearing everytime you run it)

** (If you don't, the file will just open up inside internet explorer.)