Quick Sound Switch for Vista?

Question

Hi guys!

I've searched the forum and googled a lot but I don't find any solution. Maybe someone here can help me.

I'm looking for a small program that helps me switching between my soundcards in windows vista - either by hotkeys or a context menu on a systray icon. The only way I know is to open the list of playback devices and set one of the cards 'default'. It's not nice but it works quite quickly.

There are two great tool that do exactly what I want: Quick Sound Switch and System Tray Audio Device Switcher

(STADS). There's just one Problem: They both run on XP but not on Vista, because of the new audio architecture and the new APIs.

Does anyone of you know how to get them running under Vista or any other tool that does the same job?

Thanks,

-Mike

Windows 7 Update: Vista Audio Changer crashes and the hotkeys don't work (for me). Now I use Syl74's Gadget (THX!) and have links (to 'C:\Windows\SetVistaDefaultAudio.exe 1 Sound S' and so on) with shortcut keys in my start menu. The perfect solution for me.

Edited by bright-kuhni

5 answers to this question

If you right-click the speaker icon in the systray, and "Open Volume Mixer", you'll see a "Device" menu from which you can switch devices (is that the one you mentioned?). You can also try installing those programs and running them in XP compatibility mode by right-clicking the executable, then clicking the "Compatibility" tab (I guess that probably still won't work). I don't know of any other such programs.

Edited by Gus.

I've tried to run one of the tool in compatibility mode: doesn't work.

Changing the default device via Volume Mixer was new to me, I always right-click on the speaker icon and choose 'Playback Devices'.

Nevertheless, thanks for your try.

Changing the default device via Volume Mixer was new to me, I always right-click on the speaker icon and choose 'Playback Devices'.

That will not change the default playback device. It will just show you the device settings.

As for the mentioned programs, I downloaded the source code of one, and it so happens to work by changing a registry value to set the default audio device. Now, I've monitored the registry while selecting default audio devices "the vista way", and these values are unaffected, so I can only conclude that Vista uses a completely different method for keeping track of the default audio output device, so any program aimed for XP for this purpose will be useless on Vista, compatibility enabled or not.

I'll keep looking. -_-