Windows XP mini SP4?

Then why did MS release SP4 for 2000? Presumably, they wanted everyone off 2000, and to get onto the XP train.

Except Windows 2000 SP4 was released in 2003 and like others said.

actually its not hard at all.. All u need is the right image program.

Universal Imaging Utility (UIU)

How the UIU Works

Your cloning process begins just like it would for any base image setup. First, you prepare your master machine with any applications, setting, programs etc. that you want to deploy to other workstations. After base image configuration, the UIU is run.

Second, the UIU begins by resetting your existing Windows operating system to a simple "pre-installation" state, allowing for correct detection of different hardware platforms upon image deployment without crashing the systems. No more BSOD.

The UIU then runs MIMIC (Master Image Machine Integrity Check) for base image best practices and a pre-deployment Discovery Tool allowing you to access your environment and make any necessary adjustments before continuing the process.

Next, a regularly updated driver database is installed, assuring greater compatibility with new hardware components. As you acquire new hardware, with new video, network and audio components, you need not maintain the necessary drivers; Big Bang does the work for you. Big Bang's driver database contains drivers and Plug and Play IDs for all the latest hardware and chipsets.

Then, Microsoft Sysprep is launched. Running Sysprep helps keep you in compliance with Microsoft's standards for disk imaging, and the UIU uses it to help detect the hardware components on a machine receiving a Universal Image. Additionally, Sysprep will change the Security ID (SID) on your recipient PCs, allowing for consistent interaction with any Active Directory domain structure. The UIU handles Sysprep answer files for you, (both XP .inf and the new Vista and 7 .xml format), so there is no need to build a custom Sysprep answer file.

Finally, during Windows mini-setup, UIU detects and installs the correct HAL (ACPI, UniProcessor or MultiProcessor), and handles all hardware driver installations, now including High Definition Audio devices.

PRODUCT LIMITATIONS

The UIU is not designed to function with Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003/2008 Server versions.

The UIU does not support RAID based systems.

A UIU image created on a fully ACPI compliant system will not be compatible with older, non-ACPI compliant (Standard PC) systems.

Deployment from a SCSI based system to an IDE/ATA/PATA/SATA system may fail. The UIU supports imaging to a non-RAID SCSI system, but not from a SCSI system.

Oh, I know all about UIU, and their exorbitantly over-priced software. :)

I didn't say I don't know how to do it. I just said it's not easy. I've already got a Windows XP Home sysprep that will boot and install on almost any PC, and install almost all the drivers straight off the bat. And I didn't need to shovel over any money to those ******** at UIU.

No. A lot of older hardware doesn't work properly in windows 7.

Exactly my problem..

First the Bios doesn't support the boot from the Win 7 DVD... ( Error code 5 )

Next after some Boot utilities ( Hell i used a Floppy disk :( ) ) Win 7 installed, but wouldn't show the boot animation (not even the older one)...

Next anything above 800x600 the system would reboot...

So yeah only XP on that machine... (It wasn't a bad machine (P4 3.0HT, 1GB Ram, 80GB of disk, nvidia 8*** something), but it had a old BIOS with no new firmware available since 2004/2005 from some crappy company that doesn't even exist anymore...

Windows 2000 is targeted toward businesses 'exclusively'

Doesn't change the fact that if it really has to do with keeping your corporate customers happy, XP is used by nearly every company out there.

Oh, I know all about UIU, and their exorbitantly over-priced software. :)

I didn't say I don't know how to do it. I just said it's not easy. I've already got a Windows XP Home sysprep that will boot and install on almost any PC, and install almost all the drivers straight off the bat. And I didn't need to shovel over any money to those ******** at UIU.

who said anything about paying for the software.

who said anything about paying for the software.

Well, seeing as I managed to do what they do without their help, I don't see any need to go down that route. I just need to make some scripts and GUI wrappers to better automate my process.

What sort of software do you run on Windows XP?

You might want to try a Linux distro called "Crunchbang Linux" its very lightweight and has most of the tools for entry level computer users.