OSX Lion GM Build does NOT detect Blank DVD's.

Is it normal 4 a blank disk not to show up in disk Manager?

Is it normal 4 a blank disk not to show up in disk Manager?

If you mean Disk Utility, I just put a blank DVD-R in my drive, and only the drive shows in Disk Utility (Snow Leopard), no DVD.

You must have gotten a dialog window asking what would you like to do if the DVD is blank (at least I did, again Snow Leopard).

works perfectly fine from here

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-13%20at%203.29.42%20PM.png

Yep, same dialog on Snow Leopard.

That is NOT the problem! Not only is it not showing up in Disk Utilities, it is also not showing up on the desktop as well!

works perfectly fine from here

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-13%20at%203.29.42%20PM.png

That is NOT the problem! Not only is it not showing up in Disk Utilities, it is also not showing up on the desktop as well!

have you turned on 'show cd's' in the finder preferences?

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-13%20at%203.33.17%20PM.png

have you tuned on the show cd's in the finder preferences?

Yes, and it is still not showing up!

[snipped]

In Snow Leopard, Blank DVD's do show up!

Edited by John S.

Yes, and it is still not showing up!

go into system information and check to see if the superdrive is showing up under SATA...

I will have to wait until tomorrow to get you guys that info. My dad does not allow me to get on the computer at night time (I live with my parents due to the fact that I am unable to work due to a severe mental disorder).

I cannot replicate this issue - I have an SL-to-GM upgrade and the empty disc detection works properly.

Perhaps you've checkmarked the action never to show the dialog when inserting an empty disc or possibly open another application?

This is not a bug, it's "feature"... or you are using it wrong.

Just quit already.

lol no actually he is right... the OP is doing it wrong (but no you are right, Apalis is doing nothing but trolling, i have further evidence that he is clearly a troll). They changed it up. Look...

Screen+Shot+2011-07-12+at+10.46.37+PM.png

notice how Superdrive is greyed out? now look...

Screen+Shot+2011-07-12+at+10.48.01+PM.png

it's not anymore.

same thing with CDs. It'll burn fine with programs that can burn and what not. it just won't show in finder anymore. Maybe it's a bug, but it's definitely different behaviour then the way snow leopard handled things. I burned a music CD a couple of days ago via itunes in Lion.

also the new rich text editor sucks... terrible when you are inputting images. /offtopic

yesterday I edited an xml file with text editor, and the "versions" feature renamed it to a txt :| Anyone can try this? get an xml file (mine was locked, so I unlocked it) then edit it, and exit from text editor. For me it's saved it as a txt and the xml file gone. And I got an error if I tried to go back to an older version of the xml file.

yesterday I edited an xml file with text editor, and the "versions" feature renamed it to a txt :| Anyone can try this? get an xml file (mine was locked, so I unlocked it) then edit it, and exit from text editor. For me it's saved it as a txt and the xml file gone. And I got an error if I tried to go back to an older version of the xml file.

what? blink.gifblink.gif

System Preferences -> CDs and DVDs. Make sure it says the appropriate thing under "When you insert a blank DVD". Works just fine in Finder.

post-330164-0-72483900-1310546459.png

So Lion does detect blank DVDs then? Not that I would care because I haven't used my superdrive in over three years but well...

So Lion does detect blank DVDs then? Not that I would care because I haven't used my superdrive in over three years but well...

Works fine on both of my machines so I'd say "Yes".

I burned my first DVD in a little under a year last week-end with Lion GM and it worked fine?

Wandering OT, but related to this post, I tried to burn a DVD a couple of months ago with Snow Leopard and it turns out my drive was broken and wouldn't burn. It then occurred to me that that's the first time I'd ever tried and the drive might have been broken when I bought it. The machine is over two years old!

Wandering OT, but related to this post, I tried to burn a DVD a couple of months ago with Snow Leopard and it turns out my drive was broken and wouldn't burn. It then occurred to me that that's the first time I'd ever tried and the drive might have been broken when I bought it. The machine is over two years old!

I?ve just learned in my industrial maintenance course that rotating things, they need to run once in a while, even if they?re not needed. So if we don?t use our Superdrive, we should put a DVD in there for an hour or so every month, just to say that the thing is still active and running perfectly, that components don?t solder themselves together just by prolonged contact and that components don?t go all rusty with the time.

Not using a new peripheral for 2 years and a half doesn?t mean it?ll still be brand new after that. More like on the opposite, it will be in worse condition than something that has been used every now and then. A LOT of people don?t know it though and globally the world loses a lot of money and resources because of this?

I can understand your frustration though, it?s not like it?s indicated somewhere?

It has nothing to do with Versions. Try unchecking this in TextEdit's preferences:

post-17580-0-52863600-1310563080.png

It has nothing to do with Versions. Try unchecking this in TextEdit's preferences:

Same thing happening. It saves it as a txt.