Major Explosion In Oslo Government Building

An explosion in Oslo has blown out most of the windows of a 17-storey government building which contains the Prime Minister's office, according to reports.

A witness reported that as many as eight people had been hurt, although the Prime Minister is believed to be safe.

Nearby offices in the Norwegian capital are being evacuated.

Large amounts of glass and metal have been seen in the street.

Police and fire officials have declined to comment on the cause of the explosion.

One radio journalist reported from the scene.

"I see that some windows of the government headquarters have been broken.

"Some people covered with blood are lying in the street."

More to follow ...

Sky News

Looks very much like a terrorist attack, although no reports of it being a suicide bomb. Thankfully it was national holiday in Norway.

I can't say that I'm up on the current affairs of Norway but, if it is a terrorist attack, what's happening in there that someone would want to do this to them?

978x.jpg

Hope all the Neowin Norwegian'ers are Ok. :| Reminds me of the IRA attacks.

I can't say that I'm up on the current affairs of Norway but, if it is a terrorist attack, what's happening in there that someone would want to do this to them?

Well they are in Afghanistan, and could be related to the 'Muhammad cartoons'. Although it hasn't been confirmed as a bomb yet.

another coward attacks by those terrorist outfits... why can't they live & let others live... hell awaits them!!

I thought those cartoons were created in Denmark.

They were, but the cartoons were also reprinted by newspapers in Norway. Its all just speculation right now.

Norwegian Air Force dropped bomb number 500 over Libya just yesterday I believe. Could be related to that. Norwegian newspapers have also printed the Muhammad cartoons, also the presence in Afghanistan. Don't really know why those ******** did this, but they are *******s for sure!

OMG why???? what has Norway done that was bad?

Terrorists don't care what you have or haven't done. They irrationally hate everyone equally.

OMG why???? what has Norway done that was bad?

they do not do these for any reason...they just wanna make their presence felt & take lives

OMG this kinda **** shouldn't exist in this day and age.

Terrorists don't care what you have or haven't done. They irrationally hate everyone equally.

they do not do these for any reason...they just wanna make their presence felt & take lives

I know you guys have an image in your head of a bunch of "rag headed muslims" running around and blowing people up but in reality many of the "terrorist" attacks are planned and executed by people with a clear motive and a target they've chosen for a particular reason, in this case it was clearly to send a message to the Norwegian Prime Minister over some recent activity - they don't randomly hate you, there's almost always a justification in some way.

OR

It could be a single person that has gone coocoo in da head. Building a bomb isn't as hard as you might think and depending on the compound and materials available/used pretty much anyone with even basic understanding of chemistry could build a very, very effective explosive device (with a guide).

****ing cowards.

Lets ignore the fact that we don't know what caused this and assume that it was a terrorist attack. Now consider this fact:

Norwegian Air Force dropped bomb number 500 over Libya just yesterday I believe.

Perhaps you can explain why planting a bomb in a building and then activating it is more or less cowardly than dropping a bomb from a plane or firing a missile from a ship or other remote location?

Lets ignore the fact that we don't know what caused this and assume that it was a terrorist attack. Now consider this fact:

Perhaps you can explain why planting a bomb in a building and then activating it is more or less cowardly than dropping a bomb from a plane or firing a missile from a ship or other remote location?

Really? You're defending an act of terrorism? That's either some fine trolling or some weapons grade DERP.

Sky Sources: Widespread reports of gun attack on children's summer camp in Norway.

Reuters: Norway Police say shots fired near Oslo at Youth Meeting.

Sounds like somebody is dressed as a police officer firing an automatic weapon, at the youth summer camp of the ruling labour party. :/

This is really sickening, I don't know what to say. This event is really making me reconsider my position on the capital punishment.