Cisco RV082 V3 or something better?

Ok so we have a RV082 v1/2 - not even sure how to tell. It doesn't say V2 on the sticker on the back. Eitherway it's about 7yrs old now (based on a review done in 2004!)It's starting to show it's age because according to the review it has a whopping 20Mbps routing throughput. Our internet speeds are supposed be 30/5Mbps x 2 (Dual WAN).

Under the hood, the Linksys RV082 is equipped with a 533 MHz INTEL XScale IXP425 processor, 32MB of DRAM and 16MB of flash memory. Its 20Mbps or so routing performance is decent, but by no means best-of-breed for current generation routers.

1486281769.png

(NOTE - ISP guy just left, i think that's why it's this high, earlier the downstream was at 5-7Mbps!)

So with that noted I saw that the RV042/RV082 v3 looks decent from that same site:

http://www.smallnetb...outers-reviewed

As for usage - there are say 1-4 remote users at any given time, via PPTP to the 2003 SBS (i know about PPTP, can't change it yet :(). There are also about 7-10 users in the office all connected via LAN during work hours with email servers and such. Here's a map:

post-698-0-15090700-1316190581.png

So for say the price of a new RV082 - right now about $350. Is there anything better (say even up to $100 more) for the office or you think the RV082 as according to that it gets about 93Mbps routing speeds (probably limited to it's 10/100 ports). Gigabit would be a nice option for the day we eventually go to the "Ultra" tier at 110Mbps speeds.

Also note - The RV082 is now mounted with the brackets with the a Cisco 1Gbps switch so something with the same mountings would be nice as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like we'll be getting that one as this is as of now:

1490855417.png

There are only about 4 people here actively using the internet but not actively downloading anything, just doing research and emailing off some reports. If anything it's worth a try to see if it'll be better anyways. :)

• 10 months later...

Update- Figured i'd add this since people never update! :D

The RV082 v3 been working great since I got it. Only upgraded to the 50/8 Boost Plus plan today as well and it's doing just fine and handles everything nicely.

2074525867.png

Since I got it that week it's been running since this week when we moved office and got the updated speeds. I also upgraded the firmware to the latest version too so will see if the new one is stable as last, so far just been the same :)

FYI- The RV082 does do link-aggregation i guess you can call it. It can run both WANs at the sametime or 1 as a backup. Maybe the load balanacer isn't as smart as the one you linked and it seems to sometimes cause issues with some secure sites so just running it in backup mode now because we don't even really need 50Mbps. Right now have 2 other modems on backup (used for voice but they have data enabled as well no cost) at 30Mbps each (max DOCSIS 2.0 speeds).