Classic Shell Works on Windows 8

Looks like Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) works on Windows 8 Developer Preview.

I have both the Classic Start Menu from Classic Shell and Metro running at the same time. In Classic Start Menu's Settings dialog, I selected the option to show all settings and then I associated my middle mouse button with the Windows traditional start menu when clicking the start button (which in this case is the metro UI) and the left mouse button with the Classic Start Menu. It's awesome!! :D :D

I can never go back to metro accidentally when I intend to bring the normal start menu and I go back to metro at will by pressing the Windows key or middle clicking the start button! All of a sudden, I like Windows 8 and I am back in action and have full control! I use Classic Shell on some Windows 7 PCs but on Windows 7 I associate it with the middle mouse button.

Thanks, it's a good app. Just to add: it adds the XP start menu! -----really classic.

I set start to open up Metro, because it's what should happen in win8, and winlogo to bring up the classic start menu.

It's just a skin! You can have a single column start menu (Windows 2000 and below) or a two column start menu which is XP and above but that's not all. You can also add a search box on the bottom pretty much like Vista/7. It's awesome. You can even make the actual appearance look like XP Luna so you have white and blue or you can make it look like glass/aero and there are other themes too. This little project is an absolutely cool!

For people who just can't handle change.

Yes correct because every change is better, right? Just because something is newer it doesn't mean it's better for the user. This classic shell is designed for power users without a doubt.

• Like 3

I guess we are lucky that the "click events" of the Windows Start Menu can be overridden. I am just afraid MS might consider disabling this programming hack in order to force us to go Metro and limit flexibility but if they do that, Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows for me and future upgrades will be non-Windows.

This classic shell is designed for power users Luddite's without a doubt.

You shouldn't be using computers if you can't handle progress. They aren't like toasters or microwaves which largely remain the same year after year!

How can you call yourself a power user if you are still using the old Start menu? It's clunky and inefficient.

• Like 2

For people who just can't handle change that are smart and intelligent, have a clue and know what they want.

:D

How can you call yourself a power user if you are still using the old Start menu? It's clunky and inefficient.

Oh puulllleeeaaaasee, seriously, do you seriously think the Metro UI is more productive than the Start Menu on a desktop PC?

You shouldn't be using computers if you can't handle progress. They aren't like toasters or microwaves which largely remain the same year after year!

The "new" way of doing things is easily 10x more clunky and 10x less efficient.

Oh puulllleeeaaaasee, seriously, do you seriously think the Start Screen is more productive than the Start Menu on a desktop PC?

Yes, it is. The start screen will (depending on apps) give me more information about an application before entering an application. That alone is more "productive". Weather app, I can see what the weather is, without opening it. A weather app on the old Start MENU (the thing it is replacing) I would have to open the application.

Yes, it is. The start screen will (depending on apps) give me more information about an application before entering an application. That alone is more "productive".

not when it takes over your entire screen and you can only run 2 apps at once via the metro UI... that's so productive. tablet sure, desktop, **** no.

Yes, it is. The start screen will (depending on apps) give me more information about an application before entering an application. That alone is more "productive". Weather app, I can see what the weather is, without opening it. A weather app on the old Start MENU (the thing it is replacing) I would have to open the application.

So you like it because it uses more resources and is inefficient?

The "new" way of doing things is easily 10x more clunky and 10x less efficient.

Because opening a menu, hovering over a selection, then picking an option from a fly-out is so much more efficient than clicking on a tile.

not when it takes over your entire screen and you can only run 2 apps at once via the metro UI... that's so productive. tablet sure, desktop, **** no.

You can run more than two applications at a time. Are you talking about having two applications visible on the screen at a time?