Classic Shell Works on Windows 8

So you like it because it uses more resources and is inefficient?

Read more, you might find out that it isn't either of those things.

Considering it has all the same function as the old clunky start menu implemented in some cases in exactly the same manner, I totally believe that.

Plus it look 100x better than the ancient ugly looking Windows 9x start menu that this classic shell crap is pushing.

In order to use the new Start screen as you would the start menu. You would need to type most everything instead of simply clicking on it. And I certainly wouldn't want to populate the screen with a tile for each and every function that the start menu has in one click. That would just make it messy.

You mean the one they already removed in Windows 7?

Its a Dev Preview. Have you ever used a pre-beta build before? Things are temporarily turned off...

In order to use the new Start screen as you would the start menu. You would need to type most everything instead of simply clicking on it. And I certainly wouldn't want to populate the screen with a tile for each and every function that the start menu has in one click. That would just make it messy.

No I wouldn't to either of those. In a matter of two clicks I brought up a listing of all the apps on my desktop. No typing or pinning involved.

Its a Dev Preview. Have you ever used a pre-beta build before? Things are temporarily turned off...

As I just said they removed the classic start menu in Windows 7. Why would they put it back in Windows 8?

No I wouldn't to either of those. In a matter of two clicks I brought up a listing of all the apps on my desktop. No typing or pinning involved.

There is more to the Win 7 start menu then just shortcuts to apps...

As I just said they removed the classic start menu in Windows 7. Why would they put it back in Windows 8?

I was referring to the Win7 start menu.

for ***** sakes.. its a damn start menu.... Installed apps.. user folder, docs, pics, music, control panel.. you can easily navigate using just the libraries folder... werent there threads months ago where people were saying since the new win 7 task bar, people were using the start menu less and less? Is it really going to kill you to use the metro screen to look at the weather for a few seconds, check email, search for apps and etc? Someone needs to create a comparison video between the too! start menu and start screen) This is tech forum? Most of you act like complete morons! Oh it takes up the whole screen... blah... for a few seconds!!! its the same crap when you maximize a window on your desktop and then switch to a another open window. Either stick with Win 7 or pin all your icons that you frequently use to the task bar in win 8 or simply sthu..

Of course it does! And Ivo will update it to fix what's broken currently on Windows 8 like the status bar features. This is the best app for Windows Vista/7/8. Fixes dozens of annoyances. It's even got a search now in the Start Menu and fixes screw-ups in Windows Start Menu, Windows Explorer and now IE9.

Ahhh so people are using the Windows 8 Developer PREVIEW to make it look like old Windows. Good testing you all! :)

I guess if Microsoft would do what most people wanted they would just replace the "7" with "8" and resell it. People would be all happy over how familiar it would be :)

Windows 8 is a GREAT change but it's just not polished, I am with you on that. Keep Microsoft updated of how they should make it better and stop just making really silly comparisons. We know they have to get involved in the tablet market och taking Windows there is important. Hopefully all of you who don't like the Metro GUI even when it's polished can change back to your familiar, ordinary, no change, classic - Start Menu ... just as you ALWAYS knew it ;)

No, it's for people who know a good thing when they see it.

NO, for people with a certain taste. Don't even make me think your taste is universal ...

• Like 2

Either stick with Win 7

May be someone will you never know.

Someone needs to create a comparison video between the too!

Or just use Classic Shell as originally indicated. There have been a few posts on this site about restoring the original Start menu in Windows 8 which by the way seems to be broken so I thought I would add my contribution to the pool of tips and tricks :)

Really Guys, you're arguing about the UI on a Developer Preview of an OS!!!

I'm not arguing.

I am also not going to let Microsoft dictate to me how MY computer's operating system looks.

I don't want loud, obnoxious, fruit salad on my screen.

I like a clean desktop.

I also don't want other people necessarily seeing at a glance, what programs I have installed.

I am not going to buy a touch-screen monitor, just to use some silly GUI.

I have no use for an easily damaged tablet PC, and am not going to buy one.

You should not need to buy expensive new hardware, every time a new Windows comes out.

I also see do not see anything new with Windows 8, that I can not do with my OS now.

New features should be Optional, not forced.

I would hope Microsoft would respect that different people have different preferences.

• Like 2

Yes, it is. The start screen will (depending on apps) give me more information about an application before entering an application. That alone is more "productive". Weather app, I can see what the weather is, without opening it. A weather app on the old Start MENU (the thing it is replacing) I would have to open the application.

The feature is already on Windows 7. That's desktop gadget. I guess everyone have forgotten it because it's ****ing useless.

Maybe, but some gadgets can be very useful, others not so much. I usually appreciate gadgets that show me things like weather, battery and CPU information, etc. Or ones that show recent sports scores. Most aren't that useful, but others are.

Seems that once Win8 really takes off, we'll get a lot more useful Metro apps.

Really Guys, you're arguing about the UI on a Developer Preview of an OS!!!You all need to go outside and get a life, there are far more important things to be arguing about than this!!!

Comedy at it's best!

I'm not arguing.

I am also not going to let Microsoft dictate to me how MY computer's operating system looks.

I don't want loud, obnoxious, fruit salad on my screen.

I like a clean desktop.

I also don't want other people necessarily seeing at a glance, what programs I have installed.

I am not going to buy a touch-screen monitor, just to use some silly GUI.

I have no use for an easily damaged tablet PC, and am not going to buy one.

You should not need to buy expensive new hardware, every time a new Windows comes out.

I also see do not see anything new with Windows 8, that I can not do with my OS now.

I would hope Microsoft would respect that different people have different preferences.

Wow, that is a great post! Well written! It's like you read my mind! I agree with everything you have said but especially this part!

+1000000000 -exactly my point!

MS can't (well they can because they have control but you know what I mean) just push us/force us to use what we don't want to use. One thing should not be forced upon someone if the thing is not desired. I am confident that if MS pushes Metro without giving us/power users an option to opt out, it will be another failure just like Vista was. Metro is *not* designed for power users and that is crystal clear.

Power users:

- Want to be able to point at the start button, click and launch the application.

- Want to be able to drag an icon from the desktop into the Start menu itself.

- Want to be able to right click the item from within the menu and delete/rename/copy/drag it

- Want to be able to double click a folder from within the menu and open it in Explorer or right click it and get a comprehensive context menu giving them options including Expolre

- Want to be able to tweak things around, add extensions etc

I have been using all of the above from the days of Windows 95 with the IE4 desktop update. Many of you that defend Metro probably don't even remember that the IE4 desktop update revolutionized Windows which carried on with ALL future versions of Windows and I have been using this so extensively, I am so used to it, I will never consider anything else. I am a tech, I am a power user, I am a programmer, I drag and drops icons from all locations, from any window, I use all sort of hot keys and you want to take this away from me? Not even any of the Linux desktops match the flexibility mentioned above. I think the above listed functionality is too complex for you which is why you want Metro so much, you want things simple and confined. Perhaps you should get a MAC (which I except for the command line, personally find it too simple to work with)

Face it, Metro is for mums and dads who have never touched a PC before. I think this is the type of audience MS wants to target with Windows metro! I will be truly surprised if they force power users to use Metro. That would be silly. I doubt Windows Server will use metro. Imagine an IT professional using Metro to be "more efficient' in his work LOL.

There should be a Metro Mode and a Non Metro mode. That is the only thing MS can do to make every one happy. So to make myself clear, I have nothing against having Metro as an option in Windows even selected by default during the installation as long as we can turn it off, for example during installation there is "Advanced" and you can turn it off from there and you get the traditional desktop.

P.S. Ok, Alt + F4 does indeed close the tile application but this changes nothing.

So you like it because it uses more resources and is inefficient?

LOL you need to get your facts straight before spouting nonsense, seeing as it actually uses LESS resources and is more efficient. But then again, you like saying unverified things all the time, don't you?

Wow, that is a great post! Well written! It's like you read my mind! I agree with everything you have said but especially this part!

+1000000000 -exactly my point!

MS can't (well they can because they have control but you know what I mean) just push us/force us to use what we don't want to use. One thing should not be forced upon someone if the thing is not desired. I am confident that if MS pushes Metro without giving us/power users an option to opt out, it will be another failure just like Vista was. Metro is *not* designed for power users and that is crystal clear.

Power users:

- Want to be able to point at the start button, click and launch the application.

- Want to be able to drag an icon from the desktop into the Start menu itself.

- Want to be able to right click the item from within the menu and delete/rename/copy/drag it

- Want to be able to double click a folder from within the menu and open it in Explorer or right click it and get a comprehensive context menu giving them options including Expolre

- Want to be able to tweak things around, add extensions etc

I have been using all of the above from the days of Windows 95 with the IE4 desktop update. Many of you that defend Metro probably don't even remember that the IE4 desktop update revolutionized Windows which carried on with ALL future versions of Windows and I have been using this so extensively, I am so used to it, I will never consider anything else. I am a tech, I am a power user, I am a programmer, I drag and drops icons from all locations, from any window, I use all sort of hot keys and you want to take this away from me? Not even any of the Linux desktops match the flexibility mentioned above. I think the above listed functionality is too complex for you which is why you want Metro so much, you want things simple and confined. Perhaps you should get a MAC (which I except for the command line, personally find it too simple to work with)

Face it, Metro is for mums and dads who have never touched a PC before. I think this is the type of audience MS wants to target with Windows metro! I will be truly surprised if they force power users to use Metro. That would be silly. I doubt Windows Server will use metro. Imagine an IT professional using Metro to be "more efficient' in his work LOL.

There should be a Metro Mode and a Non Metro mode. That is the only thing MS can do to make every one happy. So to make myself clear, I have nothing against having Metro as an option in Windows even selected by default during the installation as long as we can turn it off, for example during installation there is "Advanced" and you can turn it off from there and you get the traditional desktop.

P.S. Ok, Alt + F4 does indeed close the tile application but this changes nothing.

Call yourself a power user. If you actually knew stuff, you'd remember the Program Manager in Windows 3.x. The Start menu came in in Windows 95, people were saying the same thing. The luddites that refused to change got left far behind with their Program Manager knowledge. It's the same here. Accept change, or be left behind.

Actually, you are !right and I !take everything back. I am !not a power user. What was I thinking....:)

Hmm I wonder what rwx stands for....

I think there is no point arguing about this anymore and let it rest, we will never agree. Let's just wait and see what MS does. I think the argument here is which one is better Metro or Traditional.

Or those who think the metro change is junk...

If you thought Metro was junk, then you'd just use that registry key, (or app,) that disables the Metro UI. You use the Classic Shell if you like the Metro UI, but not the Metro Start Menu, like me.

Or those who think the metro change is junk...

If you think about it, the new Windows 8 UI isn't that different from Windows 7...

Windows 8: Windows Key + type application to search

- Quick launch apps by pinning the start screen

Windows 7: Windows Key + type application to search

- Quick launch apps by pinning to start menu

Microsoft hasn?t changed how Windows works, the only thing that is different is the GUI and the new start screen means you can structure apps better than merely looking at a boring list of apps. (Source)

I am a mouse centric user. The line "click start and type to search" is not how I wish to interface with an icon/charm based OS, I am not using a command line based OS.

For any that say "this is only a developer preview" as an answer to the issues, on the Microsoft forums they are thanking people for feedback about the new UI so it is being listened to in spite of it being "only a developer preview"

When I click start in windows 7 I currently have quick access to a large amount of content in a small area without needing to scroll.

I can access my computer, with a right click I can manage my computer or gain access to many other aspects of my computer without an icon needing to be pinned for each one.

In short I can do more in windows 7 with less mouse movements than I can in windows 8 and as a mouse centric user this feels like a backwards step.

Or C. I'll do something else instead of being a sad ****** and arguing over something that is likely to change and not join a non tech forum because you say so.

The fact is I have a life outside computers, do you?

awwwww you have to belittle random people on the internet to make yourself feel better...

bully.jpg

i'll let everyone here decide which one you probably are.