Classic Shell Works on Windows 8

That has to be one of the funniest things i've read in these forums. The only thing bad about MS releasing a publicly available Dev. Preview is having to put up with this kind of response.

Well,Windows XP,windows Vista and Windows 7 are very similar to one another. Windows XP has a lot of nice software-Windows Movie Maker 2.1 and WMP 9 and the 2 hidden version,WMP 6.6 and WMP 5.1. Type mplayer 2 for WMP 6.4 and mplay32 for WMP 5.1 to find the 2 earlier versions of Windows Media Player,that run alongside WMP 9.

Windows Vista has a lot of nice stuff too. Windows Mail windows Calendar,Windows Sidebar and Windows Movie Maker 6 and 2.6.You can install all of this software on Windows 7. I have done. But windows Vista is a more stripped down version of Windows than Windows XP. But windows 7 is more stripped down,with more software removed. But you can reinstall most of it in Windows 7.

In Windows XP it is all there but in Windows 7 you have to install it yourself. Which is time consuming. But you can still run most of the things you had in Windows XP. Except for IE6 and 7,Outlook Express and WMP 9 and 10. But you can run Windows Vista's Windows Mail and WMP 11 for Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Well,Windows XP,windows Vista and Windows 7 are very similar to one another. Windows XP has a lot of nice software-Windows Movie Maker 2.1 and WMP 9 and the 2 hidden version,WMP 6.6 and WMP 5.1. Type mplayer 2 for WMP 6.4 and mplay32 for WMP 5.1 to find the 2 earlier versions of Windows Media Player,that run alongside WMP 9.

Windows Vista has a lot of nice stuff too. Windows Mail windows Calendar,Windows Sidebar and Windows Movie Maker 6 and 2.6.You can install all of this software on Windows 7. I have done. But windows Vista is a more stripped down version of Windows than Windows XP. But windows 7 is more stripped down,with more software removed. But you can reinstall most of it in Windows 7.

In Windows XP it is all there but in Windows 7 you have to install it yourself. Which is time consuming. But you can still run most of the things you had in Windows XP. Except for IE6 and 7,Outlook Express and WMP 9 and 10. But you can run Windows Vista's Windows Mail and WMP 11 for Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

yes, and you know why all that was removed? because MOST people don't use those programs, so they're not installed by default now and using up space and resources. if you choose to you can install the programs, they're there for you to do so

and I have a question for you. why would you want to use all those older programs in Windows 7 anyway? you're obviously not knowledgable enough about computers to be a programer or web editor (considering you don't even know what UI stands for, it stands for User Interface btw) so you're not using the old versions for testing

it's seems to me you're just afraid of change

What we have in Andrea, I believe, is a pretty crystal clear case of the dangers of the Internets. This isn't meant to be an insult to you Andrea even if I have a firm suspicion that you're a troll, but rather a commentary on how geeks and non-geeks handle technology in general.

The vast majority of your points seem to be that you like the way your computer works and you want to be able to keep using computers the same way...and every time you learn about new technology or features or additions that it's somehow tinged in negative light or coming from someone that hates whatever is being added. That's not wrong, per say, it's a perfectly valid desire. Whats awesome are these tools, which Microsoft's platform allows, that will do this. They will continue to do this on any major Windows OS, i'm guessing, for a long time to come unless Microsoft enters a radically different - iOS like state which... I don't see happening.

Why? Because Microsoft has more developers working on it's OS than many other platforms have users. That's not an exaggeration. To encourage this and keep it being true, they're going to have to keep courting them, and that includes keeping the platform open and developer friendly. Meaning these tools will keep coming out.

My Issue comes from misplaced ideas that Metro is "Wrong" and "Slower". Note that I didn't say I disagreed with people that disliked the new UI on aesthetics, and certainly anyone can find anything "ugly" because it's a taste thing. I'm sure there's someone somewhere that finds David or the Mona Lisa ugly, much less a UI designed mostly by committee.

The slower argument is where things get hazy, because -- and I believe this -- More manhours have gone into analyzing usability ALREADY in this OS then will EVER go into people arguing about weather it's actually faster to accomplish a task. So, I'm going to guess at least from the Microsoft perspective, things are pretty damn fast. If you're an edge-caser, fine, whatever, thats what these plugins are for, but seriously -- You do not have the raw unfathomable data that Microsoft does from it's usage-tracking statistics, so why would you put more faith in yourself in determining new features for their new OS that is sold to HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF USERS then they would in terms of helping every single person, power user to grandma, get the most out of their computer.

Windows Movie Maker 2.6 the next version after 2.1, is a clone of Windows XP's Windows Movie Maker 2.1 and is exactly the same. Windows Movie Maker 2.6 works on Windows 7 along with Windows Movie Maker 6. And I use both Movie makers as they each have different features. I saw several You Tube videos which showed WMP 9 running in Windows 7 and it appeared that they used a software called Resource Hacker to install it and to get it to run. I was amazed they got WMP 9 working in Windows 7 but as the videos I saw were not in English,I did not understand the instructions of how to get it to install and run. But it did show WMP 9 running in Windows 7. So maybe there is a way to get it running, but I don't know how to.

There is no reason why you should not take your favourite software with you when you upgrade to Windows 7. And most software for Windows XP will work on Windows 7.

And because I only got my first computer last year. Which was a Windows 7 netbook. And before that I was using Internet cafes. And I did not even though that they were using Windows XP there. As I did not know about different versions of Windows until now. So my first experience on a home computer was Windows 7. Windows XP came later this year. When I bought my two Windows XP netbooks and I discovered Windows Movie Maker. Which I did not even know existed before that. Andrea Borman.

For anybody that does not want the Metro tiled theme on Windows 8. There is a software that can disable the Metro theme. It is called Windows 8 Metro controller. See here- http://winaero.com/news.php

It is made by the same people that make Personalization Panel for Windows 7 Starter. Which changes the wallpaper on Windows 7 Starter. And now they have made a software that can disable the Metro theme on Windows 8.

Of course I have only got Windows 7 and Windows XP. I do not have Windows 8.So I cannot tell you if it works or not.

Well, I cannot tell you how to use Windows 8 either, as I don't know how to use it myself.

But for those who want Windows 8, but do not want the Metro theme.Maybe this software could be the answer along with Classic Shell of course. Andrea Borman.

^ again hilarious.

But more importantly, could we get back on topic? This topic relates to making the old classic shell work on the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

To clarify, this topic relates to making the third-party application named Classic Shell work on Windows 8.

• 4 months later...

Do you still want to use old school start menu in 2012 even though it is not the part of OS? Okay the choice is yours but that step is actually funny. At least for me.

For people who just can't handle change.

And for people that won't accept unnecessary work and loss of productivity.

And for people that won't accept unnecessary work and loss of productivity.

For people who say this but have yet to give examples of how they are losing productivity.

Now, since you all are computer geeks, I know not a one of you... Let me rephrase. I hope not a one of you has installed a beta version of an operating system on a work computer. That is a computer AT your job you do actual work on OR a computer which you have that you use for actual work.

If you have done one of the above, do you believe that was a smart thing to do?

If you have not done one of the above, how can you claim, with any certainty, that it has a negative impact on the way you work?

I'm truly curious here. I'm hearing this repeated ad nauseum yet I see nothing which reinforces what I believe to be premature indictments based on very little evidence.

Or who want to be productive in their work day.

I'm just as productive on 8 as I am on 7. Once people get over the learning curve, Windows 8 is a whole different story. All this crap was said about Vista's UI too, and we've all gotten over that, and we'll all get over the UI changes in 8 too.

For people who say this but have yet to give examples of how they are losing productivity.

You haven't been paying attention to the voluminous threads with many examples. To make it easy, just start on the Start Menu/Start Page. For some things it's more productive, like seeing your facebook notifications. For others, not so much. Do you know how fast you can get anywhere, find anything, from the Start Menu? Just this alone will never be as productive on the start page. I can scroll through the whole start menu in 3 inches. Hell, by the time I drag to the second page of the Start page, I can go through the entire Start Menu and Computer and Documents if they're displayed as menus on the start menu.

Keep in mind, Windows 7 is optimized and MS' best operating system. It's not saying Win 8 Start is garbage, but you are moving backwards in many areas as of today. This may improve. I am happy search is unified and since changing my though process to look at it as an exposed start menu, it's much more useful. Having hot corners all over, two, no 3 bars, not as efficient as 1. Not as clean as Autohide. I'm not going to rehash it.

And professionals yes, install it in a test environment that replicates the production environment. And to professionals, some things are apparent. I think most here really have no idea. Do you know how much the overly sensitive hot corners is going to cost organizations?

No one is saying trash it, but it's not MS' best. And until input devices catch up, I'm going to say barely useable on desktop. But, mapping pageup/down has alleviated my biggest issue. At least now I can tolerate it more to keep giving it a chance.

All this crap was said about Vista's UI too, and we've all gotten over that, and we'll all get over the UI changes in 8 too.

Actually, in my world, that's not what was said about vista and that's not what doomed it. Windows 7 isn't that different from Vista as far as UI goes.

Actually, in my world, that's not what was said about vista and that's not what doomed it. Windows 7 isn't that different from Vista as far as UI goes.

Maybe not in your world, but a lot was said of Vista's UI. All those traditionalists that bitched and moaned about loosing their drop down menus, really stirred up a storm over the cleaner UI.