Jimi Hendrix named greatest guitarist of all time

What?

Nirvana wasnt the first grunge band. It was one of the first grunge bands that got popular, along with Pearl Jam, but he did not create anything.

I think what he meant was that they were pioneers of grunge. Kinda like how people say how Metallica invented thrash metal. Clearly wasn't the case, but they were the pioneers.

I think what he meant was that they were pioneers of grunge. Kinda like how people say how Metallica invented thrash metal. Clearly wasn't the case, but they were the pioneers.

By definition a pioneer is someone who explores new grounds first than anyone, so again, wrong.

Hendrix definitely deserves to be high up in the list. The greatest though? It depends on which style of guitar play you prefer. One could also name Clapton or Santana (to name but two) as 'the greatest'.

Those of you saying Cobain should be among the greatest are on crack in my opinion.

I'll leave you with a prime example of Jimi Hendrix's virtuosic guitar play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3JbKimTdMg

Guys, I really worry about your comprehension skills. The title on this article clearly says "the greatest", not "the best". There's a huge difference.

Greatest always involves not only playing skill, but also iconic status and how influential the person was. Considering all three aspects together then there's no one as great as Hendrix (And please, if you say Slash I will send someone to kill you).

By definition a pioneer is someone who explores new grounds first than anyone, so again, wrong.

Pedantic. :p You know what we mean.

finally. He was and he would be always the #1. Most of the so called best guitarrist copy the style and the way he used to play. I wanna see how many will remember slash if werent for guns and roses.

finally. He was and he would be always the #1. Most of the so called best guitarrist copy the style and the way he used to play. I wanna see how many will remember slash if werent for guns and roses.

Slash is better know for the cigarette permanently sticking out of his mouth than for his guitar skills :D

Technically speaking there's no such thing as a pioneer. There's almost always someone who did it before or thought about it before.

Guys, I really worry about your comprehension skills. The title on this article clearly says "the greatest", not "the best". There's a huge difference.

Greatest always involves not only playing skill, but also iconic status and how influential the person was. Considering all three aspects together then there's no one as great as Hendrix (And please, if you say Slash I will send someone to kill you).

Ha ha ha ha this WAS funny! Excellent post!!

Technically speaking there's no such thing as a pioneer. There's almost always someone who did it before or thought about it before.

But also technically speaking grunge strictly as a music genre (style, presentation, ideology) have very specific traits that some bands before Nirvana already had.

I'll skip the three pages due to lack of time, sry.

Jerry Garcia - Electric, Acoustic, Banjo, Mandolin, steel pedal... pick one and he could put on one hell of a show. I think the term "greatest" is open to interpretation. Everyone has different play styles and uniqueness to their playing. However, I'd personally rather see "greatest" go to someone who can be flexible on any platform and still entertain audiences across different genres of music. Or have the flexibility to pick up any of the guitars I listed above and just start playing songs. For anyone who's read his autobiography, he "forgot" how to play guitar after suffering a diabetic coma and then retaught himself (and with help from friends).

Jimi was great but, imo, only good at one style. Most of the others in this list follow that same category.

I'm sure there may be others were/are as flexible as Jerry and I'd consider them tops as well.

No one trick ponies plox.

Jimi was great but, imo, only good at one style. Most of the others in this list follow that same category.

What was that one style, exactly? If you really listen to what Hendrix was playing, he could go from blues, to jazz, to a rock style that was 10 - 20 years ahead of what others were playing. The accounts of what he did are numerous, and if you listen to everything he recorded, he certainly wasn't a one trick pony.

Greatest ever? Sure. But obviously that's a combination of talent + fame + legend of dying young. I personally think Jeff Beck is the greatest, but he was never popular enough to have a magazine come out and say, "yup, he's the best".