Which services can I set to Automatic (Delayed)

Hi,

Sorry for the huge picture but I wanted to show which services I have running that are started. Can anyone tell me if any of these can be set to (delayed)?

Thanks,

services.jpg

why do you want to delay them? so you can boot your machine .02 seconds quicker?

things like print spooler can probably be delayed, since they aren't crucial for system start

Your picture is a little messed up seeing as most of those items have 2 instances.

he cut and pasted together since he can't screenshot a long list

The delayed start will be of no use. The system would get to desktop some milliseconds faster but after a minute (which, I believe, was this delay) it would start grinding anyway. That feature is not meant to be abused this way.

To permanently shave off those milliseconds, you'll have to find the services you don't need (there's a lot of them and even more if you hate Homegroups) and explicitly disable them. There's good guides on the internets, too. But take care. I've done it quite a few times since XP days and still can't get it straight :laugh:

why don't you just export your services via export list feature? You can export to a nice CSV and then open in your fav speadsheet software and sort, etc. etc.

I personally would not suggest you dick with any services unless your 100% confident in what they do, and how they interact with other services, etc. So you here asking tells me you really shouldn't be dicking with them ;)

Now if your interested in delayed start up of things, take a look at the free software http://www.soluto.com/ gives nice gui to work with showing you how long each thing adds to your startup, what others do with the service/application/etc.

But to your exporting your services via scrolling screencapture -- here this is much better way to do it ;)

post-14624-0-15187100-1322511437.jpg

why don't you just export your services via export list feature? You can export to a nice CSV and then open in your fav speadsheet software and sort, etc. etc.

I personally would not suggest you dick with any services unless your 100% confident in what they do, and how they interact with other services, etc. So you here asking tells me you really shouldn't be dicking with them ;)

Now if your interested in delayed start up of things, take a look at the free software http://www.soluto.com/ gives nice gui to work with showing you how long each thing adds to your startup, what others do with the service/application/etc.

But to your exporting your services via scrolling screencapture -- here this is much better way to do it ;)

Okie, I will give that Soluto a try.

Thanks again!

The system defaults are fine and are in the optimal state, but windows will change them by itself if needed. If you wanna try changing them then your playing fire, with fire.

Thanks so much Budman!!! Soluto got my boot time down from 5:49 to 1:54!

You rock!!

Can you please tell us WHY you want to delay these services?

See my reply to Budman.

@Budman,

According to Saluto the maim culprit was the google stuff, Toolbar, updater, some task checker, a few logon tasks and the Picasa update checker. That was the brunt of it. so I got rid COMPLRTELY of all of the google stuff. I had a few small stuff it said I could delay, Can't remember now and don't know where the log tbh.

But it worked WAY better than I ever thought. Now that's the boot from the first time I see the desk top to when it's basically ready for use right?

I am still slow at boot when the welcome screen is up with the rotating circle. Any thought on that?

Thanks, Again!!

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I have to say that I got very confused reading through this. Devnullore and Devnull are the same person, right? I didn't think that we were allowed multiple accounts? :shifty:

Back on topic, that is an huge drop in your boot time. Then again, things like the toolbar and update checkers are normally one of the first things I get rid of. The toolbar is useless to me, and since I manually check for updates I see no need to get bogged down by all the applications starting at once to do a check.

a 5 minute boot time, wtf i havnt touched any of my services and im to the desktop in prolly less than a minute

in windows 7 I get to the desktop from post in under 30 seconds... and I have tons of stuff installed, and on a rotational drive too!

@Intrinsica

Yes, sorry. After several boots the "Welcome" screen is no longer taking so long to present the desktop. I guess it's true. Windows 7 learns how you boot and optimizes it.

About the Devnull and Devnulllore, I will have to look into that. I am not aware of having multiple accounts but I will see what's going on and post my findings

Thanks,

@Intrinsica,

HI,

Yes I did in fact end up with 2 accounts. I have no idea how that happened. I messaged admin to delete the "Devnull" account and keep this account.

Sorry all...my bad somehow.

Other fast boot option is to just standby vs off ;) My main home machine is set to standby after like 10 minutes - I'm always on and off at all times sometimes 2 am in the morning if I wake up or get a work call, etc. Even remotely so I just wake it up via my vpn connection and can rdp to it in like 10 seconds or something.

Cold boot is around 1 minute or something - have to check my soluto logs. I keep toying with the idea of going SSD, but I don't have any problems with time of software to load, pretty much instant anyway. So since its normally only in standby the pretty much instant on you could see with SSD would not be something I would really notice. But SSD is on my toys to get list ;)