Adblock Plus will show 'acceptable ads' by default from v. 2.0 on

Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

What is this about?

Starting with Adblock Plus 2.0 you can allow some of the advertising that is considered not annoying. By doing this you support websites that rely on advertising but choose to do it in a non-intrusive way. And you give these websites an advantage over their competition which encourages other websites to use non-intrusive advertising as well. In the long term the web will become a better place for everybody, not only Adblock Plus users. Without this feature we run the danger that increasing Adblock Plus usage will make small websites unsustainable.

Why is this feature enabled by default?

Because that's unfortunately the only way to reach the goals outlined above. If we ask users to enable this feature then most of them won't do it ? simply because they never change any settings unless absolutely necessary. However, advertisers will only be interested in switching to better ways of advertising if the majority of Adblock Plus users has this feature enabled.

But I hate all ads!

No problem, you can disable this feature at any time. Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose "Filter Preferences" from the menu. Uncheck "Allow non-intrusive advertising" and you are done.

Which ads are "acceptable"?

We currently have the following requirements:

• Static advertisements only (no animations, sounds or similar)
  • Preferably text only, no attention-grabbing images
  • At most one script that will delay page load (in particular, only a single DNS request)

These criteria are not final, we are working on improving them. In particular, we want to require that user's privacy is respected (mandatory Do Not Track support). However, we are not yet in a position to enforce that requirement.

Will all "acceptable" ads be unblocked?

No. Unfortunately, it isn't technically possible to recognize "acceptable" ads automatically. We have agreements with some websites and advertisers that only advertising matching our criteria will be used, their ads will be unblocked then. We hope to grow our list significantly over time.

What if an ad is allowed that doesn't meet the requirements?

Please report it as you usually would. If an advertiser abuses his placement on the exception list we can always remove him from the list.

How can I see what you are allowing?

The "Allow non-intrusive advertising" checkbox simply adds one more filter subscription to your list. You can view the filters here. Also, the special treatment of this filter subscription (which was added for reasons of usability) can be disabled by going to about:config and changing extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox preference to false. This will allow you to view the filters for this subscription as usually.

Do you have questions or suggestions concerning this list? Feel free to contact us.

Are you stupid? Nobody wants this!

The results of our user survey say something different. Only 25% of the Adblock Plus users seem to be strictly against any advertising. They will disable this feature and that's fine. The other users replied that they would accept some kinds of advertising to help websites. Some users are even asking for a way to enable Adblock Plus on some websites only.

Source: Adblock Plus website

You have always been able to white list a site.

Yes, but from version 2.0 a whitelist will be on by default. That's the main difference.

Sounds like the plugin author got in bed with some advertisers. Ads are a security risk these days since server admins won't be bothered to properly vet content to insure malicious ads don't get into rotation.

You can always report those unsecured ads or you can edit your whitelist.

You can always report those unsecured ads or you can edit your whitelist.

LOL! And why would I want to have my system compromised beforehand? I'd prefer avoid the risk altogether.

Long ago, Ad-Aware got into bed with an advertiser/adware Co. and allowed them into their antispyware consortium. They went to crap after that.

Good. I only block ads to remove the ridiculously annoying Flash/video/audio/moving image ads and I would be perfectly happy to support sites that use non-intrusive non-moving ads by showing them.

...except I use Opera so it doesn't really apply to me

"Some users are even asking for a way to enable Adblock Plus on some websites only." um then disable adblock on sites you want to view ads, like NEOWIN :shiftyninja:

Ad-supported Adblock Plus. How ironic.

It's sort of like extortion when you think about it. Company uses ads to support website, add-on blocks ads, company pays add-on to show ads.

I can sort of see the twisted logic behind doing it, but at the same time, I'd rather choose the websites I want to whitelist than have someone else pick for me.

Its a good call, for a site like us that prides itself on ads that don't pop up or under, overlays and all the other crap you find on other sites it's only the ignorant that installs it and doesn't know how to whitelist that makes us lose out.

If we see any changes with this update remains to be seen however, animated surely means gif or flash ads? which we display, but don't overlay or have sounds enabled by default.

Just to add, in the case that overlays do appear, thats our advertiser not playing by the rules we've set out, and we always get them removed once they are reported ;)

I like the idea of unblocking ads which aren't obtrusive. That is the only reason I use adblock due to the intrusive ads some sites use. I hate animated ads, flash ads, pop overs, pop unders and all those. But if they are going to allow text ads and static image ads that don't move then I'm fine with it.

Looks like its time to change to new addblock plugin :/

Why? If you read carefully on the first page it tells you can disable the feature anytime (when ever Adblock Plus 2.0 gets released). It's no big deal, no need

to dump Adblock plus over that.

• Like 1

Sounds like the plugin author got in bed with some advertisers. Ads are a security risk these days since server admins won't be bothered to properly vet content to insure malicious ads don't get into rotation.

I guess you don't want neowin and such sites to exist then. And are happy to stick with cnet quality articles...

Also, consider running a secure browser.

Just get something like Ad Muncher and you won't have to worry about crap like this. Install it and forget about it. No ads, cookies, pop-ups... nothing. See the web the way it was meant to be seen -- without the crap. (Wow, that sounded like an ad in itself!)

I've got no problem with non-intrusive textual ads like those seen on Google, but animated gif/flash and blinking adverts are a nono. Fortunately, I turn of all animated images in about:config animation=none, and blink=no. Nevertheless, if sites want to get us to whitelist / and/or support, they need to make major changes.

I block Ads from all sites, even Neowin, i know this is not going to be looked on positively but at least im honest.

Whilst i favor this change as i dont mind some ads at the top or the bottom of a page, what really annoys me is ads in the middle of a page or posts (Neowin does this sometimes, possibly before login) or ads that take up a huge portion of a page or an ad which pops up before a page im going too.

IF none of the above are present i'be be quite happy to whitelist a site i use frequently, but yet again i probably never would as Adblock is just install and forget. If its on by default for simple unobtrusive ads then theres a chance i'd see them. BUT - is this going to be on by default?

How does the advertising work anyway, dont i have to click the link for sites to get paid (I NEVER do) or is just ads served? I also use ghostery so that prevents targeted ads as well, so for me at least, ads are pretty useless even if they are seen.

I block Ads from all sites, even Neowin, i know this is not going to be looked on positively but at least im honest.

Whilst i favor this change as i dont mind some ads at the top or the bottom of a page, what really annoys me is ads in the middle of a page or posts (Neowin does this sometimes) or ads that take up a huge portion of a page or an ad which pops up before a page im going too.

IF none of the above are present i'be be quite happy to whitelist a site i use frequently.

We don't do this, and thanks for not contributiing to our costs (paying staff for content and sendiing them to tech events) all paid for by the unobtrusive advertising.

I guess you don't want neowin and such sites to exist then. And are happy to stick with cnet quality articles...

Many sites are their own worst enemy. Allowing malware, blinking, flash animated with sound ads. Is it any wonder we have all installed adblock plus? They should take a note out of Google's book.

Also, consider running a secure browser.

No browser is secure. Every piece of software has bugs and security holes. If less content is loaded (especially ads), the risks are reduced significantly.

We don't do this, and thanks for not contributiing to our costs (paying staff for content and sendiing them to tech events) all paid for by the unobtrusive advertising.

I think he means your inline text ads tha inject themselves into article text. Adding security issues and significantly slowing down page loads.

I don't believe they're there when logged in though, and not on mobile.

I think he means your inline text ads tha inject themselves into article text. Adding security issues and significantly slowing down page loads.

I don't believe they're there when logged in though, and not on mobile.

Maybe hes got them blocked and forgot about them :)

Thats exactly what i mean and the ads that appear between posts before login, i was editing my post to show that as Neobond replied.