HDMI or component cable for 720p?

I have a Samsung 720p HDTV and I am looking to buy a 360. At 720p will i see any difference in quality using the component cable supplied with the 360 or buy a HDMI cable?

Get HDMI, you'll notice the difference. Just don't get an expensive cable, the cheapest you can get off eBay or anywhere else will always do.

"Component cable supplied"? I though they only pack in a cheap composite cable with the 360. I know mine had that.

With mine I got a cable which was component, composite, and twin phono for audio. A right messy cable that was. :p

"Component cable supplied"? I though they only pack in a cheap composite cable with the 360. I know mine had that.

Older Xbox 360s (up until late 2009 I think it was) used to come with a cable which provided both component and composite outputs.

So indeed, a new console won't come with a component cable anyway so it'll work out cheaper and more sensible to just buy an HDMI cable and be done with it.

Got mine hooked up playing some Gears of War 2 now (i know i know, late! Trying to catch up) and definitely got HDMI. For 720p it's not the difference will be huge anyways but as others already said, the new systems only come with component. My TV has VGA also so i could have used that but HDMI is so cheap, why not?

• 3 weeks later...

It should come with the hdmi cables now at least on the elite models. Also as the others have said do not pay more than $10 for a hdmi cable, doing so is crazy. No cable is going to give you better signal quality. With HDMI its either on or off there is no in between. Otherwise they will try to sell you crap like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+-+Chocolate+65.6'+HDMI+Cable+-+Platinum+White/9892794.p?id=1218202121644&skuId=9892794&st=hdmi&cp=1&lp=1

A $5 cable is just as good. The only thing I would say to check for is the version of hdmi, make sure its the latest version, I know the ps3 is kind of funny like that on hdmi if you ever go with 1080p.

I bought my 6ft cable from Newegg for $7 - not that I didn't know about monoprice but just had some credit there I wanted to use up. I'd definitely get monoprice cables though over any "Diamond HDMI" cable at BestBuy costing $999! LOL

Get HDMI, you'll notice the difference. Just don't get an expensive cable, the cheapest you can get off eBay or anywhere else will always do.

This, unless you need a long one (more than 3 feet / meters... Don't remember which it was)

No need to invest in cables that cost a fortune though! :D

Really, short & cheap cables will (pretty much) ALWAYS be fine.

Glassed Silver:mac

HDMI, digital.

Component, analogue.

Unless you have high power devices around your TV or devices with poor EMI shielding, you'll probably notice very little difference between the two though on the Xbox 360 component cable.

Grab a cheap HDMI cable after if you aren't happy with the picture quality.

HDMI, not only because of the quality but you only have to use one cable and not three using component for audio and video

Unless your display features "deep color" you won't likely notice a difference between component and HDMI.

I'd say that your audio setup is a bigger question. If you use an external receiver that doesn't have HDMI input/switching, you'll have to find a way to get your optical to it if you use HDMI (this can involve some difficulty with the 360). Same consideration if you game with "5.1" headphones. If you just run it to your TV, you'll have stereo analog with your component (most don't have optical in on component), or you can use HDMI and probably get some sort of fake surround effect.

AudioQuest has a line of "High Speed" HDMI cables; its packaging states that it "delivers 100 percent of the data required for 120Hz, 240Hz, 600Hz displays." It costs up to a whopping $229.99 for its 6-1/2-foot Carbon model (sold online from Bestbuy.com). The BB website states "High speed 1080p/120Hz/4K" ? there are no 4K consumer video signals.

With claims like these, I think I just may get into the HDMI cable business, buy HDMI cables in bulk from Monoprice and repackage them with silly claims as listed above.

maybe Supersonic Speed, Quad Primary Color, Compatible with new 4D technology, with Extreme HighSpeed Ethernet Technology, Carbon Silica anti magnetic shielding.

6' cable for only $99.99, 10' for $149.99 . and still be cheaper priced than Monster Cable :woot: