Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

I'm going to have nightmares about supporting the home user.

Same here, but for just over 2,000 domain users, which many are still having difficulties going from XP into 7, I guess it's job security. I'm going to show this off, then ask for a raise. It's been a long time since I've had a bottle of aspirin sitting next to my computer.

Got .ISO - not sure which option is for keeping W7 and installing on empty partition

Well, I've installed it and, I HATE IT. I can't stand it, it's not for desktop users, at least, it's not for me. Windows7 will live long on my PC.

This could turn out to be a huge failure for MS. I did not read anything good about the Consumer Preview....

It may be good on a tablet, but that's about it.

Got .ISO - not sure which option is for keeping W7 and installing on empty partition

Boot from DVD / USB, choose Custom Install, it will ask which drive

No, more like, How do I autostart a program the way it used to be in Win 7, I know it can be done throught the task scheduler but the easiest way is just to drach a shortcut of the said program into the start menu (windows 7), startup folder.

That way it would be autoexecuted next restart... that still exist in windows 8?

C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

This location still works, the only problem I find is that the Start Screen takes focus at logon so I have to press escape on the keyboard to see the running app. (I have XBMC automatically running).

Most likely your company will never move to Windows 8 until Windows 9 release and even then. Windows 8 doesn't offer anything worth upgrading therefore no reason to burn money and waste time and more money on bull****. Just sit there and enjoy. This thing will die before Windows Vista. I believe this will boost Windows 7 sale so my predictions are that in two years Windows 7 will have 75% of Market Share, 10% Windows 8 and the rest Windows XP.

I wish this were true, but as it stands I must support any personal portable devices they have, including installing Office and network printers.

Boot from DVD / USB, choose Custom Install, it will ask which drive

So no way to install from within W7 without overriding W7?

As I neither have a USB drive or DVD atm.

i cant even to get the installer to go :/ it hangs on the blue fish with the rotating dots, and just hangs there, either off dvd or usb stick :/

:) So long Microsoft, I hope you've enjoyed your time with us. Who really thinks Microsoft can find a partner who can outsell the iPad and iPhone? Windows 8 has desperate painted all over it - Xbox integration to appeal to it's HUGE gaming market and all this Metro touch rubbish to appeal to touch screens and tablets. They've put Windows Phone 7 onto my PC with a 23" widescreen - WTF?!

Why wouldn't games work on the Consumer Preview when most (Exception - those that had specific OS-isms, such as any game that required PunkBuster) worked just fine in even the Developer preview?

Sounds like your real issue is the lack of the Vista/7 Start menu.

Well, I put it on my wife's laptop for the day, while I played with it in a VM.

She thought it was OK, but mostly irritated with it. The (current) inability to print from email was a real killer, but she found the start screen not productive for her. It should also be mentioned she LOVES her Windows Phone 7. So she get's the concept.

Restoring from last night's WHS backup and we'll be back to normal. I really was excited but... yikes.

Arrrgh. Where do I *begin*...

What a horrible, dumbed-down, ungodly MESS. I gave it it's hour of use. Some ideas in it are really entertaining/interesting -- file copy and delete dialogues are very good.

But the lack of Classic theme and inability to even change the font? ARGH.

Don't get me going about the Start Screen. Ugh.

I agree with the reviews: two OS's competing against each other, with neither one knowing what it's supposed to be anymore.

Sorry, but this is Vista all over again.

So no way to install from within W7 without overriding W7?

As I neither have a USB drive or DVD atm.

Dunno if you ran the installer from inside windows, it will just try to upgrade you, you`ll need to boot from it I think

I hate this force feeding attitude that MS is taking with Win8. If people don't like the Metro Start menu thingy then give them the option to go back to Win7 style start menu. It's not like they have to re-write that code from scratch.

Dunno if you ran the installer from inside windows, it will just try to upgrade you, you`ll need to boot from it I think

Holy hell that is retarted.

Of course. The hit target for the click isn't one pixel, once you've triggered the preview. And getting to the corner is literally the easiest thing you can do with a mouse. There's no targeting required. You don't even need to look at the screen.

But something feels wrong. I too somehow "missed" activating Metro a few times when I clicked in the lower left corner. It almost feels like there's a delay between when I move the cursor down there and before the click registers and that's a problem for people who use their mouse very fast (high sensitivity).

But something feels wrong. I too somehow "missed" activating Metro a few times when I clicked in the lower left corner. It almost feels like there's a delay between when I move the cursor down there and before the click registers and that's a problem for people who use their mouse very fast (high sensitivity).

I always ended up hitting IE. I think the problem is while, it only requires 1 pixel in the bottom, the little metro start window gives the impression you can click anyware in that box.

Holy hell that is retarted.

Install 7 on the new partition then run 8 installer and choose "Dont keep any files" for the cleanest install without USB or DVD, after that you could choose the " reset my windows" option to get a cleaner install

I've not used it and don't plan to until release (if I do then), but I'm wondering... can the colours of the tiles be changed by the user or are they a fixed colour?

I always ended up hitting IE. I think the problem is while, it only requires 1 pixel in the bottom, the little metro start window gives the impression you can click anyware in that box.

Exactly, the preview looks like the previews you get over the icons of running programs on the taskbar right beside it. And those are clickable or you can hover over them while the new one just disappears. I moved the cursor a few times to the right to click because there's no reason why this wouldn't work. The preview should be clickable 100% or at least disappear instantly when you move too far away from the corner.

And what about touchpads? I imagine it could be a nuisance to hit the corner and click because they generally aren't as precise as a mouse.