Can a PCI-ex1 card go into a PCI-ex16 slot?

Okay. I think I may have done a stupid thing. I thought I was being smart, but maybe not.

I have a TV Tuner card which is PCI-Express x1 (PCI-Ex1) and a Sound blaster titanium which is PCI-Ex1. I also have a PNY Nvidia GTX 550ti which is PCI-Express x16 (PCI-Ex16). I thought it would be smarter to get all PCI-Express cards when I can so I am ready when motherboards switch to all PCI-Express and no PCI slots. Turns out, in this regard, I am actually ahead of the curve.

I have been looking to upgrade my aging CPU/MOBO/Ram, which is usually exciting and fairly easy. I have found very few motherboards that can accomodate a 2 slot wide GPU, and 2 PCI-Ex1 cards. Most that I find with 2 PCI-Ex1 slots usually have 1 of the 2 PCI-Ex1 slots too close to the left most (closest to the CPU) PCI-Ex16 slot. Since I only have 1 GPU and probably won't have the funds for a Crossfire or SLI setup anytime soon, I was wondering if I could just plug one of the 2 PCI-Ex1 cards into a PCI-Ex16 slot and it will work fine, or does that not work at all?

I am going to browse the net a bit regarding this some more, but I was hoping someone with some experience trying this could give me answers or at least tips. Thanks.

Yes.

In fact most low-end-requiring cards still use the cheaper x1 standard.

Glassed Silver:mac

Technically, you could even put an x16 card into a x1 slot and it will work, if you could make it fit. The bandwidth to the CPU would be bottle-necked however, but it will still work.

Technically, you could even put an x16 card into a x1 slot and it will work, if you could make it fit. The bandwidth to the CPU would be bottle-necked however, but it will still work.

Ever heard of explaining?

You could cut a notch into the back of the x1 slot, but whatever card you put in there (x4, x8, x16), will be reduced to the bandwidth \capability of the x1, due to lack of pin connections. Won't really affect the CPU