The Official NHL 03'/'04 Season Thread

what do you all think about the CBA? is there gonna be a lockout next year? will teams be contracted? the nhl has come a long way and it would be a shame for all that work to go to waste because of a lockout.. a lot of the fans in previously non-hockey markets like atlanta, nashville, florida, dallas, phoenix, etc. would be lost and im sure it would alienate some loyal fans as well.. hopefully the nhl will take a hint from major league baseball and get this thing worked out without a strike or lockout

Well, the CBA could make it a lockout year, but I believe it might go over pretty well. I hear the change is that teams that want to go over the salary cap that will be made will have to pay a tax for going over, so big money market teams will still be able to pay big bucks, but over time, will eventually even themselves out with other teams, or have to make more money in order to keep their team intact, or in a miracle situation, players take pay cuts to take their team to the Cup.

Dallas isn't a non-market hockey city, btw, they make a good penny, and I don't see Dallas leaving or Atlanta, but I think possibly Florida, Phoenix are iffy, but definitely the Canadian franchises are in trouble. The CBA, however, will be designed to help out low market teams such as Buffalo, Nashville, etc. and the Canadian clubs, but yes, I think contraction might occur.

I jsut found out that apparantly the top 3 players form minnesota's last season are out at the moment. Gaborik obviosly, Depuis (both are holding out for cash) and they aren't going to re-sign Cliff Ronning... Garbage!

OK, now I'm worried. The Wild kinda sucked last night. I think we were 0/8 on the power play and only made 3 or 4 shots. That's pathetic. Roloson looked good, but the rest of the team seemed kind of lost without Gaborik and Dupuis. Hopefully management will realize we need those two on the roster and get this financial stuff out of the way.

Tonight, opening at the Joe Lewis Arena for only the Third Time since 1986...

Your..............Detroit Red Wings!!!!

The board is set...

The pieces are in place...

Tonight begins...

The Stanley Cup Race.

LETS GO RED WINGS!

The board is set...

The pieces are in place...

Tonight begins...

The Stanley Cup Race.

tis a shame my dear

that you must fear

a team livin in the east

a group of men

that some refer to;

as the unrelenting beast

so go my dear

and have a beer.

why not make it a corona

'cause as sure as sh!t

when the story ends

"The Jersey Devils'll Own Yah!"

not bad for 30 seconds, made up on the fly :p

too bad I'm a Flyers fan...damnit :pinch:

thrashers win!! they said before the game they were gonna win that one for snyder, and chris tamer of all people, nets the game winner.. a big win for the thrashers as a team, now they go to the funeral tomorrow. they are going to bury snyder with a puck from tonights win.

yzerman wins it with 1.7 seconds left. now that's what i call clutch. :D

That was an AWESOME game!

Anahiem's loss wasn't a fluke, it was to the FREAKING PREDATORS! That's pathetic.

yeah heatley made a big mistake.. on a side note, he underwent successful knee surgery on tuesday and team doctors say he is likely to return to the ice this season if his legal troubles allow it.. read the article here

Yzerman's heroics lift Wings

NHL.com

Detroit opened its season in thrilling fashion as Steve Yzerman scored with 1.7 seconds left in regulation to propel the Red Wings past Los Angeles, 3-2, in Dominik Hasek's return. Hasek stopped 21 shots in his first game after a year off, while Roman Cechmanek had 35 saves in his Kings debut.

Also as has been noted...

Mighty Ducks - 1

Predators - 3

Good job to the Preds to take out the 'One Shot Wonders' of last season! Here's to a 0-82-0 season for the Mighty Schmucks!