The Official NHL 03'/'04 Season Thread

red wings signed steve thomas to a 1 year, $1 million contract after hearing hank will be out for 4-6 weeks after that cheap shot from allen. great pickup, imo. (Y)

well its good to see these sun belt cities who arent so keen on hockey doing so well :)

Anything is possible in the East.

Traditionally, even more so in the South-East.

where have you heard this? :huh:

they were talking about it on the thrashers broadcast this evening. i think it was mainly interest from colorado, i doubt detroit has given much consideration to it. i know i wouldnt if i were detroit.

well its good to see these sun belt cities who arent so keen on hockey doing so well

im doing everything i can to get people into it down here. once i get someone to actually go to a game, they are converted right away, its such an exciting game in person, theres no way you cant enjoy it. and now that we actually have a competitive team, more people will be curious and go to the games, hopefully a good fan base will get built up.

colorado desperately needs a goalie, but i highly doubt detroit is gonna send Cujo to their #1 rival in the western conf.

There is no way that Colorado will enter the playoffs with their current crop of goaltenders.

There is no way that Colorado will enter the playoffs with their current crop of goaltenders.

they may make the playoffs. but as we see every year, to make a run at the cup, you have to have a dominant netminder. they will have to pick up someone else if they plan on playing into late may

Are you people crazy? I think you may need to watch Colorado to play to fully understand anything about this team, and since my Dad is a season ticket holder, and I've been to a few games in the past, none this year, but watched them on Center Ice, here the facts:

Aesbicher has been decent, 2.5 GAA, which isn't that good, 91% Save Percentage, not great, but not bad. They have a stellar defense, but now, injuries have killed the Avs. Last few games, they've had a few D-men out, Forsberg, Kariya, and Selanne were out, I mean, once they are all back, which seems like they have all been placed off the injuries list except for Selanne.

Their goaltending isn't that great, but damn good enough to get them to the playoffs, and the defense is punishing enough to get them to a Cup Final, they have a good team, saying they may not make the playoffs is ridiculous.

But yes, I believe Lacroix will pick up a goaltender at before the trade deadline or earlier if the goaltending severly struggles.

aebisher is good, i say, colorado trades him to philly for hackett :)

edit; flyers beat the caps 4-2 :)

watching the sharks/bruins game on espn2, pretty good so far.

Edited by ace135cc

when it comes down to it, Aebischer doesnt have the experience and that will kill the Avs in the playoffs. its not easy playing such intense hockey every other day. i agree, Colorado will make it to the playoffs but i cant imagine them even winning the western conf let alone the stanley cup.

man u americans are lucky ESPN and ESPN 2 have the best hockey, better than the 1930's style announcers and play by play we have in Canada

when it comes down to it, Aebischer doesnt have the experience and that will kill the Avs in the playoffs. its not easy playing such intense hockey every other day. i agree, Colorado will make it to the playoffs but i cant imagine them even winning the western conf let alone the stanley cup.

although, the same thing was said about j.s. giguere last season.

man u americans are lucky ESPN and ESPN 2 have the best hockey, better than the 1930's style announcers and play by play we have in Canada

you guys dont get espn in canada? i thought it was all across the us and canada. yeah espn does have good hockey, steve levy, darren pang, barry melrose, and gary thorne are all great.

thats true, i cant really explain anaheim though. I hope Avs do well, but im kinda doubtful with such great talent their season so far hasnt impressed me much. You could also say that with anaheims talent, their regular season reflected their talent whereas colrado, wich such a strong team, they should be doing better, on 2002/03 Anaheim standards

anyways it's too early to judge now, maybe theyre in an early slump

nope, we get ESPN only through satelite here, we have TSN and a couple of sports channels that are like Headline Sports which show games sometimes. on "The Score" or whatever that station is caleld thier hockey games are insanely boring. ESPN does a great job at making hockey even more exciting than it already is

what a game!! bruins and shark tie 5-5.

samsonov scored with 14 seconds left in 3rd to force ot :D

cant wait til sunday to see my other 2 favourite teams play each other. avs at blackhawks :)

i love sports, jus not into hockey much.. i guess my fav. team would have to the Thrashers tho since they are close to alabama..

1. I agree about Aebischer. He's got good enough stats but he won't inspire enough confidence for the rest of the team. I fully expect Colorado to get an experienced playoff goaltender by the deadline.

2. Sportsnet, TSN, Global and The NewVR may have some mediocre hockey broadcasts although I do think that Nick Kyprios is coming along nicely. However, nothing compares to HNIC (with or without Don Cherry).

avs just beat the blackhawks 4-3 in ot, less than 10 seconds left too. great game, two of my 3 fave teams, so it was fun to watch :)

they said tampa got a point off of their 1-1 tie with the canes, and that puts them past boston for first in the east :o

i love sports, jus not into hockey much.. i guess my fav. team would have to the Thrashers tho since they are close to alabama..

there you go, good choice (Y)