Nokia N9 gets Android ICS and Meego dual-boot

What?s more fun than modding an Android smartphone? Well, lots of things, but one of them is modding a competing smartphone to run Android. There are many who admire Nokia?s beautiful hardware and industrial design, but lament its home-grown software (or the Windows Phone 7 platform they?re now stuck with). A group of like-minded modders at the NITDroid forums dedicated to bringing Android to Nokia hardware have shown off their latest and certainly greatest project: fully functional Android 4.0 on the MeeGo-powered Nokia N9.

nokia_n9_ice_cream_sandwich-476x500.jpg

This is no small job, either. All the essential functions of the phone are working, including calls, texts, data, WiFi, Bluetooth, et cetera. Sound and video are working fine, though YouTube playback seems a little choppy. The only real features that seem to be missing are the camera (wasn?t mentioned in the forum post) and automatic rotation (though the accelerometer is working, so that could be just a matter of time). The ROM is in its first Alpha release, so expect a lot of the bugs to be ironed out eventually.

The best part is that this ROM can be installed with a custom boot partition, preserving the original MeeGo OS in a fashion similar to the Android ports on the HP TouchPad. There?s even a work-around method that allows users to mount MeeGo?s My Documents folder as Android?s virtual SD card, giving some rudimentary cross-platform file access. This isn?t quite the same as getting Android on Nokia hardware like many of use were hoping for last year, but it?s about as close as we?re likely to come.

http://androidcommunity.com/nokia-n9-gets-ice-cream-sandwich-and-meego-dual-boot-hack-20120322/

• Like 3

I can only wonder why, considering Meego blows the **** out of Android in performance in the first place and there's pretty much nothing the "avarage" user needs that isn't available in the first place.

It's like buying a Ferrari and putting a 1.5l Lada engine in it.

• Like 2

My dream would be to see WP7 running on the iPhone 4S.

Not going to happen in a million years unless the source code of WP7 is released by Microsoft which they wont..

Also, the hardware for WP7 devies and Iphone are different so even with source code developers need to do a lot of work to get it ported.

So, your dream wont come true...

I can only wonder why, considering Meego blows the **** out of Android in performance in the first place and there's pretty much nothing the "avarage" user needs that isn't available in the first place.

Large quantities of apps?

Apps. Qt didn't work as Nokia had hoped.

Incredible work.

This is why Android exists.

Now leave the rest of us alone to use viable commercial products please.

Android is the first dominant Linux in a consumer space and the average consumer loves to hate it.

I like the Apple mantra but not the company.'

That's why I use a windows phone.

Quit trying to troll. You never used it, so how can you complain Qt is the "problem"?

Nokia's new CEO and the board members who supported him never gave Qt the chance. This is the most irresponsible CEO a company ever had. He has no interest and trust in his company's products unless it is running his favourite 3rd party OS.

Nokia shouldn't have killed of Meego. If it would have been available slightly earlier on perhaps one or two more devices it would've been a killer OS. I've tried it (we sell the N9), and it's absolutely brilliant to use. Incredibly intuitive and fast.

It shows what's fundamentally wrong with Linux, yes.

What would that be?

I've got my hopes on Open webOS though for an OS that's actually good and follows FOSS ideals.

WebOS is also Linux.

Nokia shouldn't have killed of Meego.

They didn't really kill it - there's still hope that Windows Phone flops completely and they'll go for Meego instead.

Which of course won't happen

I wouldn't be so sure. Microsoft is very restrictive to developers with Windows Phone, and developers don't like restrictions.

Even though as part of the deal Nokia has full access to WP7 and can change stuff?

So yeah, unlikely to happen.

I wouldn't be so sure. Microsoft is very restrictive to developers with Windows Phone, and developers don't like restrictions.

Of course not. No one can be.

As for the restrictions, look at where iOS is standing

What restrictions??