Windows 7 Recovery Tools Without CD?

Hi guys,

Quick question. My friend needs to use the Windows 7 recovery tools to repair her machine, but the CD is back in the U.S. so she can't get to it right now. Is there another option? She has a Vista CD, but I doubt that would work.

Thanks for any advice.

only option i can think of is either to download the disk (which is technically illegal) or have someone send the disk.

only option i can think of is either to download the disk (which is technically illegal)

Except it isn't if you're not getting it from an unauthorised source. Such as Dell support:

Dell Community - Windows 7 Official .iso files (Digital River)

If you have a paid (but not cheap) subscription, there's Microsoft Technet and/or MSDN. There's also

a 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise free to download from the Technet Evaluation. All legal ways

of getting a Windows 7 .iso disk image file, especially if you only want to use the recovery options.

You could of course get it from other (unauthorised) sources, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Does it boot at all? or have access to another system that has Windows 7?

You can use Windows 7 itself to create a system repair disc. http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

Problem with that is this note

If you're prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc can't be found on your computer. Insert a Windows 7 installation disc.

Your best best would prob be to download the trial iso if still available - this would work for recovery options.

What exactly is the issue that they believe they need a recovery disk? What is not working, or what errors are being presented?

Problem with that is this note

If you're prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc can't be found on your computer. Insert a Windows 7 installation disc.

Your best best would prob be to download the trial iso if still available - this would work for recovery options.

What exactly is the issue that they believe they need a recovery disk? What is not working, or what errors are being presented?

It does say IF, just to make sure that is clear. Not 'you WILL be prompted', so I still say it's at least a possible option that shouldn't be dismissed so easily just because of the word 'if'.

Yes it's something they could try, but I would be very surprised if files are there...

edit: I just tried this on a clean install I had done of w7 ultimate and it worked.. Have to give it a shot on my wifes laptop that has a dell oem install on it.

But yeah give it a shot, worse case is you wasted 2 minutes. That is if there is a working 7 box around, etc. if only box is the one that is not working going to be hard to do ;)

So using Windows itself to create the recovery disc is out as an option?

^^^ This. Go to Backup and Restore and create a System Repair Disc.

So is the "System Repair Disc" the same as the "Windows Recovery Environment" on the installation disc?

Good question.

I have not had a chance to boot the one I created yet. But from the creation dialog it does state can be used to boot the computer and has recovery tools

post-14624-0-60768300-1333127046.jpg

The system restore disc is the same as WinRE which is what comes on the Windows 7 installation discs.

This is going on a slight tangent, but if there are important files on the hard drive you want to get first, you can run Puppy Linux straight from a USB stick. It's very simple to load up and once you boot into it and connect an external harddrive (or however you want to store the data), you can copy your information across. I'm just suggesting Puppy Linux because it's very small and fast and you only really want it to get files off the hard drive. If there aren't any files on the hard drive that you want and you just want to repair the system, then the other suggestions in this thread will hopefully help.

if there are important files on the hard drive you want to get first ...

Just to be clear, the Windows Recovery Environment tool being discussed in this thread does not delete user data nor does it reset the system to factory settings. It is used to diagnose and correct problems with an existing Windows installation and has minimal impact on the user experience.

Just to be clear, the Windows Recovery Environment tool being discussed in this thread does not delete user data nor does it reset the system to factory settings. It is used to diagnose and correct problems with an existing Windows installation and has minimal impact on the user experience.

Good point. I didn't mean to imply you'll lose your data, just that you can still access files if you need them right away :)