Windows 8 RTM in July/Aug, GA in Sept/Oct

Software giant Microsoft Corporation (

MSFTtiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-halfstar.giftiny-blankstar.gif) on Friday received some additional bullish commentary from anlaysts at Nomura Securities.

The firm maintained its ?Buy? rating on MSFT as well as its $37 price target, which suggests a 15% upside to the stock?s Thursday closing price of $32.12.

A Nomura analyst commented, ?Meeting Tami Reller, the head of marketing and CFO of the Windows and Windows Live Division at Microsoft. Microsoft will not be adding back the Start Button. They will add a tutorial to show keyboard/mouse users the new commands that they need to orient themselves with in the new OS. We have not seen the controversy on the touch (Metro) side, and this is where all the industry growth will come. Our next look at the product will be the Release Candidate (RC), which we have expected by June, followed by the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) in late July or August, and finally the release to General Availability (GA) in September or October.?

Microsoft shares rose 20 cents, or +0.6%, in premarket trading Friday.

Source: http://www.dividend.com/blog/?p=44765

So, the same time as usual is estimated. Not too shocking.

Not bad, that gives them enough time to re-add the start menu, yes MENU not SCREEN. And a way to disable the metro interface. Those two changes are the only requirement I have before moving from 7 to 8.

Not bad, that gives them enough time to re-add the start menu, yes MENU not SCREEN. And a way to disable the metro interface. Those two changes are the only requirement I have before moving from 7 to 8.

+1

and by disabling metro u have windows 7 :p so why would u bother moving to windows 8?

bring onthe nice changes i really like them =]

No, see windows 8 has a bunch of core improvements, faster boot, faster game preformance, better file management, better power management. The OS itself is an upgrade, but the Interface slapped onto it is not.

Get over yourself, the start screen is not a big change at all, if anything it makes it easier to find the apps you are looking for.

You just keep repeating yourself in any thread slightly related to Win8, it's getting boring

• Like 2

Get over yourself, the start screen is not a big change at all, if anything it makes it easier to find the apps you are looking for.

You just keep repeating yourself in any thread slightly related to Win8, it's getting boring

I'm over myself, I'm not over the stupid tile/metro start screen. It is a big change actually, turning a nice clean menu into a big ass screen. And no, in no way is it "easier to find the apps" the start menu is extremely easy to use especially in 7. And feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like my opinion.

• Like 1

It isn't going to happen. Adapt to the Metro start screen or stick to Win7. Or switch to OS X/Linux/FreeBSD/whatever.

and by disabling metro u have windows 7 :p so why would u bother moving to windows 8?

bring onthe nice changes i really like them =]

+1

I'm over myself, I'm not over the stupid tile/metro start screen. It is a big change actually, turning a nice clean menu into a big ass screen. And no, in no way is it "easier to find the apps" the start menu is extremely easy to use especially in 7. And feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like my opinion.

Then stay with win 7... no one cares...Microsoft will not bring back the start menu..Metro is way better..

Haha. The menu is gone dude. Give it a rest. Start Screen is more functional.

• Like 2

Then I suppose you are sticking to 7 then aren't you? They have said time and time again that they are not restoring the Start Menu and Start Button! ;) The fact that they are including the tutorial will be a huge help and should help people get oriented fairly well.

I see a lot of "suck it up or gtfo" posts here, but I have yet to see anyone make a compelling argument as to why the Start Menu cannot be an option.

The Classic Start Menu vs "Modern" Start Menu (classic being removed in Win7, IIRC) is slightly different, since that was pretty much the same thing being duplicated. Metro and the Start Menu is wildly different and most likely uses entirely different code base, so having the Start Menu would be like any other added feature - not a duplicated feature.

Just because Apple / MS / Google / Facebook / <etc> says it should be so, doesn't make it gospel. It's not a crime to actively speak up against something - how else would the companies making changes hear about our discontent? :)

• Like 2

I see a lot of "suck it up or gtfo" posts here, but I have yet to see anyone make a compelling argument as to why the Start Menu cannot be an option.

Because there will come a day where the menu would disappear once more, and people would still moan and complain. They took the "classic" menu away in Windows 7, and people *itched and moaned, even though the classic menu was two generations outdated by that point (Heck, some of you here still can't get over the fact that the 9x Start Menu is gone).

Basically, people resist change, and sooner or later have to fess up to it. You could clearly see first time using Windows 7, that the Start Menu was either going to face a massive overhaul or be killed off completely, if not in Windows 8, then Windows 9. Seems Microsoft choose Windows 8 to do so.

I see a lot of "suck it up or gtfo" posts here

I see a lot of ignorant trolling posts here by firey, techguy77, etc. No amount of moaning and complaining is going to change the fact that the Start Menu has been replaced and Metro is here to stay so stop spamming these forums with irrelevant crap.

• Like 3

Because there will come a day where the menu would disappear once more, and people would still moan and complain. They took the "classic" menu away in Windows 7, and people *itched and moaned, even though the classic menu was two generations outdated by that point (Heck, some of you here still can't get over the fact that the 9x Start Menu is gone).

Basically, people resist change, and sooner or later have to fess up to it. You could clearly see first time using Windows 7, that the Start Menu was either going to face a massive overhaul or be killed off completely, if not in Windows 8, then Windows 9. Seems Microsoft choose Windows 8 to do so.

Classic Start menu was deprecated away over 2 releases (2000->XP-Vista). metro start was not.

Classic Start menu was deprecated away over 2 releases (2000->XP-Vista). metro start was not.

No, the classic Menu was depreciated in Windows XP, then even more so in Windows Vista (with the introduction of search). Windows 7 killed it off for good. And even then a few people complained out the wazoo (If I remember correctly). Heck, people were even afraid of the new taskbar.... First reactions in many was "OMGWTFBBQ! Where did my taskbar go!?!?!?!?!?!1111 People are never going to use this! It's ugly! How am I supposed to know what windows I have open!?? How am I supposed to be productive learning an new UI!?!?!? F*CKING MICROSOFT!"

• Like 2

Then stay with win 7... no one cares...Microsoft will not bring back the start menu..Metro is way better..

I think metro looks nice for a tablet, but Metro is in no way "better" on a desktop. The start menu already had search capabilities, replacing it with a shoehorned touch interface is lazy.

Its not necessarily bad or unusable, but its certainly not an improvement over the win7 interface for a normal desktop/laptop system. The metro screen is also rather awkward to navigate with the mouse/keyboard.

As someone that does tech support I'm REALLY not looking forward to windows 8. Getting some of these computer illiterate people to click the start menu is hard enough, but now we get the metro screen, hot corners, gestures! Fun! To get to the real control panel I have to either attempt to get them to open the sidebar with a hot corner and go to settings there, or have them hit win + r. People will end up being confused when the start screen switches to the classic desktop and vice-versa. Headaches incoming.

No, the classic Menu was depreciated in Windows XP, then even more so in Windows Vista (with the introduction of search). Windows 7 killed it off for good. And even then a few people complained out the wazoo (If I remember correctly). Heck, people were even afraid of the new taskbar.... First reactions in many was "OMGWTFBBQ! Where did my taskbar go!?!?!?!?!?!1111 People are never going to use this! It's ugly! How am I supposed to know what windows I have open!?? How am I supposed to be productive learning an new UI!?!?!? F*CKING MICROSOFT!"

For me, I liked the classic start menu, hated the XP start menu, and loved the vista/win7 menu which was a huge improvement over both.