I hit a parked car but there was no damage...

I was backing out and was trying not to hit the cars next to me it was a tight fit... I forgot to pay attention to the car behind me anyways I hit it going slowly and I checked for damage 2x and didnt see anything besides a dent on the other side of their bumper which I had nothing to do with. I was going to leave a note but was afraid I'd get blamed for the dent but I didnt see no damage and called 2 friends and they told me just to leave... what would u do?

Take pictures on your phone (to cover yourself) and leave a note would be the right thing to do, but if there was no damage then meh.

Some of these bumbers nowadays though are only meant to withstand a single hit, but if you were going slow as you say then wouldn't have hurt it.

Forget it. Trying to inform them would just be a waste of time and effort, and for all you know they might be a douche about it, possibly falsely blaming you for the existing dent.

Take pictures on your phone (to cover yourself) and leave a note would be the right thing to do, but if there was no damage then meh.

Some of these bumbers nowadays though are only meant to withstand a single hit, but if you were going slow as you say then wouldn't have hurt it.

Yeah, I would leave a note personally. I had a friend's roomate hit my car last year in front of their house and though it didn't look damaged at first glance, it certainly was. The bumper was cracked, the wheel well cover was broken and clips missing, which allowed water in to the headlight so that ended up needing to be replaced... Of course he mentioned this to me jokingly months after it happened and then I had to come up with the money to fix it.

Leaving a note is just the right thing to do.

It's a double edged sword, technically it's a hit and run if you left

If you left a note or stayed, the high % is the person will smash it into a tree and blame you for it, or say they got all kinds of damage. Most people look for any reason to make a buck or blame

Forget it. Trying to inform them would just be a waste of time and effort, and for all you know they might be a douche about it, possibly falsely blaming you for the existing dent.

It could be worse though if somebody saw him do it and drive off. They could have wrote down his license plate and put a not on the persons car. then he will be in more trouble by the police.

Last year someone put a slight scratch (1" maybe?) in my driver door from pulling into the next spot. They were kind enough to leave a name/number/etc. even though there was no dent or anything. I called them to let them know it was all good and thanked them for being kind enough to have left their contact info. Guess they felt the need to be nice. If your concious feels bad on the scene, go highbrow and leave some info and take good pics. But some people will be scumbags and try to say your incident caused all sorts of damage.

It could be worse though if somebody saw him do it and drive off. They could have wrote down his license plate and put a not on the persons car. then he will be in more trouble by the police.

Absolutely. I've done this for people. I'm not a fan of leaving like that honestly. And when you do something wrong and hit someone, you kind of have more responsibility than the victim to be honest. I'm not saying the victim shouldn't be honest as well, but that's a poor argument as to why not to leave a note.

you are a jerk and your just performed a hit and run... (i was just a victim of that, had to pay 300 deductible to fix it over something that i wasn't even there for, hence the anger)

Absolutely. I've done this for people. I'm not a fan of leaving like that honestly. And when you do something wrong and hit someone, you kind of have more responsibility than the victim to be honest. I'm not saying the victim shouldn't be honest as well, but that's a poor argument as to why not to leave a note.

Also if they then report any damage seen or made up to their insurance company with the witnesses note you will be even in more trouble. Insurance company lawyers are ruthless (i used to work for an insurance company).

you are a jerk and your just performed a hit and run... (i was just a victim of that, had to pay 300 deductible to fix it over something that i wasn't even there for, hence the anger)

In your case they did do damage and drove away... I didnt do any damage

But he says there was no damage at all caused by the bump.

If someone accidentally reversed into my car gently enough not to do any damage at all and I saw a video that they got out and checked there was no damage and left the scene I would be fine with that.

If there was obvious damage I could understand your reaction, but in this case telling them would do no good and would more than likely cause a problem that didn't exist

At my old job, I noticed someone reverse into one of our customer's bumpers, and then got out of the car to quickly inspect the damage. I went outside at the time because I had a feeling they were going to drive off and remembered the license plate, and wrote it down to give the customer when she got done with her appointment, which she later gave to the police. She later told me there was several hundred dollars worth of damage behind the bumper, which wasn't apparent at all when looking at the car from the front. She never thanked me though, although the cop did. :s

Jeez seems like you deserved it.

shouldve left a note or something... a smililar situation happened to my wife before we got married, she accidently backed into a parked car, and there was no damage, but a witness reported it as a hit and run, and the car ended up getting impounded in the end

There was no damage if there was I would of put a note on it....

If I punch you in the face, but don't leave a mark, is it still assault?

You hit and ran. Regardless of damage or not, you should've left a note. It is up to the "victim" to decide if you caused damage or not, and to excuse you from liability. Just because you didn't see damage, doesn't mean there aren't flex cracks in the paint, etc. Take photos, leave a note, and let the victim decide if they're going to pursue compensation through insurance or not, or excuse you. You are wrong for leaving.

At my old job, I noticed someone reverse into one of our customer's bumpers, and then got out of the car to quickly inspect the damage. I went outside at the time because I had a feeling they were going to drive off and remembered the license plate, and wrote it down to give the customer when she got done with her appointment, which she later gave to the police. She later told me there was several hundred dollars worth of damage behind the bumper, which wasn't apparent at all when looking at the car from the front. She never thanked me though, although the cop did. :s

So she took here car to a repair shop, told them "someone apparently hit my car and may have done hidden damage to it that I can't see", and surprisingly the repair shop found several hundreds dollars worth of damage... I'm sure no car mechanic would ever lie even if given such a golden opportunity to get free money ;) not saying there wasn't real damage, but...