Chelsea FC wins the Champions League final on penalties

So here lies the question, do you need to splash the cash to win trophies?

Here is a compiled a spending table for the last 5 seasons featuring the most successful Premier League sides over the last 5 years. It makes pretty interesting reading.

Total spending over the last 5 seasons

• Man City ? ?528.6m
  • Liverpool ? ?281.6m
  • Chelsea ? ?270.3m
  • Man United ? ?198.6m
  • Tottenham ? ?194.4m
  • Aston Villa ? ?151.7m
  • Sunderland ? ?135.6m
  • Arsenal ? ?124.4m
  • Newcastle ? ?83.2m
  • Fulham ? ?72.7m
  • Stoke ? ?71.7m
  • Everton ? ?65.8m

Only 5 out of those 12 teams have actually won a trophy in the last 5 years, with Man City, Chelsea (3) winning the FA Cup, Spurs winning the Carling Cup. Chelsea, Man United, and this season, Man City have shared the Premier League titles. As regards Man City, ?500m plus for a league title, is surely way too much, not to many clubs can compete with that.

I guess all the big clubs, not only in the PL, spend obscene amounts of money as this is the only way to really ensure success on a regular basis! At a point, when big injections of cash are injected into clubs, and a dynasty is created then good luck to that club!

How does this table look if you factor in the players that have been sold, not only the ones that have been bought?

You dont like bayern?

I was quite disappointed when they lost. obviously a better team and they put so much effort into this but alas luck wasnt on their side. Should have taken more risk.

I can't stand Bayern M?nchen. Never have.

Liverpool (5)

Man United (3)

Aston Villa (1)

Nottingham Forrest (2)

Celtic were the first British side in 1967

I can't stand Bayern M?nchen. Never have.

Any particular reason you dont like em? I guess you like Schalke then? But they never perform well. Or Dortmund?

Days late, but still gutted that Tottenham was knocked out of Champions League. Bayern controlled most of the game and had an unbelievable amount of corners, Robben's strikes were off and even managed to miss a penalty kick in extra time. It was theirs for the taking! We had three games plus on Arsenal and they managed to sneak by because of an awful two months. As long as Arsenal ****s the bed next season in all areas, I'm happy.

Any particular reason you dont like em? I guess you like Schalke then? But they never perform well. Or Dortmund?

There's the attitude of 'Uh oh, team x with player could become dangerous. Better open our coffers and buy the player right now.' which has ****ed me and many others off for ages.

Also, this goes back to when I was younger: In the early to mid 80s the main competitor of Bayern M?nchen in the Bundesliga was the Hamburger SV. I happened to grow up in Hamburg, so... it came natural to dislike Bayern.

• 3 weeks later...