Segoe UI gets improvements in Windows 8

Sure, just install it like any other font and when it asks if you want to replace/overwrite, say yes.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it was going to say "Segoe UI is currently being used" or something.

Now I just need it... :/

Psst, check your inbox. ;)

Any chance you could send me the link as well? CBA to run through an install just to get the font file. Thanks!

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it was going to say "Segoe UI is currently being used" or something.

Now I just need it... :/

I'm still not sure about that, would be lovely if anyone here confirmed.

I can also confirm that overwriting your existing copy of Segoe UI with the new version (and rebooting) works. Thanks again, Marcin.

Any one care to send me the latest Windows 8 Segoe UI font (if possible, including its variant - light, print, script, semibold, symbol, etc). Thanks in advanced! :D

Just checked the new version against Zegoe UI and it seems to be virtually identical... will post a comparison shot up once I get Fireworks installed on here :)

Right; four differences by the looks of it... the uppercase I and Q, and the 1 and 2. The rest appear to be a perfect clone of Zegoe UI.

To be honest, I think the changes are for the better :)

post-447141-0-39389200-1338705842_thumb.

I still haven't managed to get clear type/antialiasing to work. The font looks horribly jagged in metro control panel. :(

Not like it's hard to get, everyone can download the Release Preview, install it in Virtualbox and get the fonts. So don't you dare remove these links mods!

If you don't want to/cant install it, can always use ImageX off of the Windows Automated Install Kit to mount the WIM image (similar to mounting an ISO into the file system) and extract them that way too. Clicking the link above is a lot quicker though.

Here. https://www.dropbox....Windows%208.zip

Not like it's hard to get, everyone can download the Release Preview, install it in Virtualbox and get the fonts. So don't you dare remove these links mods!

So I downloaded that and if I open segoeui.ttf from your zip archive, it says version 5.01... anyone else seeing this?

*EDIT* Though the letter "I" is sans serif and if I open file properties, it says 5.24... very weird... heh

So I downloaded that and if I open segoeui.ttf from your zip archive, it says version 5.01... anyone else seeing this?

That might be because the font viewer takes your local Segoe UI instead of the one from the file. Install all fonts in the folder and reboot, you'll notice it changed. Have a look at the numbers in the About System in Control Panel, you'll see.

It's nice to see Segoe finally have proper ligatures, but the kerning still is suboptimal, especially in cases like AV or VA.

That might be because the font viewer takes your local Segoe UI instead of the one from the file. Install all fonts in the folder and reboot, you'll notice it changed. Have a look at the numbers in the About System in Control Panel, you'll see.

That would make sense ;P

Damn stupid font viewer :)

*EDIT* Though the letter "I" is sans serif and if I open file properties, it says 5.24... very weird... heh

The version in the Consumer Preview is 5.16.

It's just the evolution in Microsoft's Metro design. Phase one was Windows Vista (and 7), where we only had the Media Center in an early Metro using Segoe UI / Segoe Media Center. Phase two was Zune, which used Zegoe UI. Phase three was Windows Phone, with Segoe WP, and now we have Windows 8 with Segoe UI v2, which will probably be used on Windows Phone 8 as well.

But the original Segoe UI was derived from Segoe, a font that Microsoft bought from another company. The new Segoe UI resembles the original Segoe a lot more, it looks like some of the changes were undone.

This image shows Segoe UI (v1) above, the original Segoe below. The Q and I for example have been reverted to the original Segoe in Segoe UI v2.

Xbu2j.png

After using it for a few hours now I'm not sure I like it. For The numbers look really out of place. When you've got really 'straight' letter glyphs the roundish numbers really don't make sense. At least not for smaller fonts, it might look better when it's big. But I've been staring at my taskbar clock all day and it looks weird.

After using it for a few hours now I'm not sure I like it. For The numbers look really out of place. When you've got really 'straight' letter glyphs the roundish numbers really don't make sense. At least not for smaller fonts, it might look better when it's big. But I've been staring at my taskbar clock all day and it looks weird.

The newer fonts do look weird, at first. I have gotten used to it though, been using the new fonts a couple months now, since the CP. In fact, seeing the original versions onscreen (especially the taskbar lol) is jarring to me now. Speaking subjectively, I've gotten very used to the 1 and its serif-less look, and rather prefer the rounded 2.

• 4 weeks later...