Segoe UI gets improvements in Windows 8

Did you re-boot like everyone has been saying?

How did you manage to get those new 5.24 segoe fonts to work on Windows 7? I copied the segoe fonts (17 ttf files) from my Windows 8 HD and installed them on Windows 7. I was asked if I really want to overwrite the existing ones with the new ones. I confirmed and restarted my PC. After that, everything looks like it does before. The 1's the Q's ... When I open the Fonts folder and click on the Segoe UI font container, I have two Segoe UI Standard fonts in there. One is the regular weight with version number 5.01, the other is Segoe UI Semilight version 5.24.

Please help! Thank you in advance.

OK, I found out that my problem with the newer 5.24 Segoe UI regular weight font must have something to do with the Windows file protection. The moment I replace the old Segoe with the newer version, Windows replaces it with the old one. I tried to start in safe mode: doesn't work either. Any ideas?

God helps those who help themselves :) Don?t ask me how but I managed it. I played around with various Group Edit Switches and other settings and at some point I was able to rename the old Segoe UI to segoeuiBAK.ttf and to copy over the new one. So - mission accomplished :) Thank you anyway.

Nice! Fonts are one of the big reasons I stick with Windows. It seems kind of silly, but it makes a huge difference. Linux is almost unusable, and OSX needs hacks.

Nice! Fonts are one of the big reasons I stick with Windows. It seems kind of silly, but it makes a huge difference. Linux is almost unusable, and OSX needs hacks.

It's not silly at all. I also stick with Windows as much as possible because of the font rendering. Ubuntu is great for other things, but font rendering is NOT one of its highlights.

To me the examples look like 2 different fonts, I don't get why they didn't just use a new name.

Exactly.. they are not "minor" fixes.. these look like 2 completely different fonts.

The first one looks more suitable for printing while the second one seems better for screen reading and interfaces. They should have them both.

The first one looks more suitable for printing while the second one seems better for screen reading and interfaces. They should have them both.

I agree, but only because more variety is better. I feel the opposite about the suitability of each font. That's the great thing about choice though, and it'd be a shame if MS took that away.

Something else I noticed is that in the RP they even use ligatures (combining certain letter combinations together, like "fi" and "fl") in UI text - I don't think that was in CP and in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen that in an OS before.

I'm glad people noticed. =] There's beefed up support (and usage) for standard and discretionary ligatures. And surrogate pairs.

To me the examples look like 2 different fonts, I don't get why they didn't just use a new name.

There is a level of separation provided using an OpenType feature specifier: I'd be curious at your experience comparing your UI in question between non-Windows 8 and Windows 8. The Metro UI explicitly opts into the newer version in most all locations.