iTunes for XP?

Question

i never liked programs messing with my folders. can someone explain what exactly it does?

if i have my music in my D:\Music folder, and i set that as my music folder, and tell itunes to do it's thing, it's actually gonna rename folders and stuff?

or is this all done virtually just in itunes?

it will rename files acording to the id tags, for example:

it will rename c:\my music\A_Perfect_Circle\Mer_de_noms\A_Perfect_Circle_-_01_-_The_Hollow.mp3

to

c:\my music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de noms\01 - The hollow.mp3

i never liked programs messing with my folders. can someone explain what exactly it does?

if i have my music in my D:\Music folder, and i set that as my music folder, and tell itunes to do it's thing, it's actually gonna rename folders and stuff?

You can disable that in preferences. My songs were already organized, and i don't want iTune messing with my way of doing things :)

So far so good, great player.

Slightly slower being slower then regular windows = lag for me. Not to mention startup time, from double clicking iTunes.exe to the entire music library appearing is 5 seconds, that sucks. Especially as WMP9 starts in less then a second, as does foobar and winamp 5.

So for all of you resizing the iTunes Music store is fast? Fast like resizing an Explorer window?

That particular resizing is indeed a little slow. Anyway, it will sure be sorted out on future releases i guess.

I mean no one gets out a 100% bugless software, such thing doesn't even exist. :no:

Slightly slower being slower then regular windows = lag for me. Not to mention startup time, from double clicking iTunes.exe to the entire music library appearing is 5 seconds, that sucks. Especially as WMP9 starts in less then a second, as does foobar and winamp 5.

No problems here for the loadign up time and library. How many songs have you added ?

8196 songs but none of the other apps have a problem :/

Well i mean give them a brake ... how long did it take Microsoft to fine tune WMP ? Quite a time i'll say, winamp too!

Everyone should not expect this to be perfect, it's only the first release, there will be many updates anyway. :)

so is iTunes going to replace WMP and Winamp? + when you get an account for the music store, how much is it cause it asks for a credit card..

thanks

Edit: LOL can you see how much I don't know how it works :)

i wish iTunes minimized to the taskbar instead...ah well, it's still damn nice ;) ;)

I know! It is a great program so far through my explorations, but I just wish it would minimize to the systray.

Well is there any way to revert back my music, say i did the organize thing and it made so many folders and my mp3s are screwed, not how i like it can i revert back or do i have to redo the folders and just move things?

,Oct 16 2003, 16:34]
i never liked programs messing with my folders.  can someone explain what exactly it does?

it will rename c:\my music\A_Perfect_Circle\Mer_de_noms\A_Perfect_Circle_-_01_-_The_Hollow.mp3

to

ack itunes does that viseversa :|

,Oct 16 2003, 16:34]
i never liked programs messing with my folders.  can someone explain what exactly it does?

to

ack itunes does that viseversa :|

weird, it works perfectly for me

What it needs to be totally perfect:

get album info from internet for mp3 and acc files (including cover art)

give us more power over tagless files instead of making the unknow album forlder

,Oct 16 2003, 15:25] wow, I just noticed it renamed all my songs and folders and make then more cleaner, THIS APP IS INDEED THE BEST AUDIO PLAYER EVER WRITTEN :D

That's what I've been trying to say!

Isn't it so great, having all your music organized like that! I love it. No more manual filename changes...ever.

I do agree though that automatic cover art downloads would complete the package. It's the only manual thing I had to do when I was setting up my library on my powerbook.

,Oct 16 2003, 22:12] What it needs to be totally perfect:

get album info from internet for mp3 and acc files (including cover art)

give us more power over tagless files instead of making the unknow album forlder

iTunes is designed with Legality in mind. Audio coming from legit sources, so CD ripping is accompanied by CDDB, and iTMS has its own ID3 info ... i very much doubt iTunes would incorporate a system for detecting music's tags, after its been ripped, and likely illegally downloaded.

I downloaded it.

I installed it.

I used it.

I uninstalled it.

I didn't like it one bit. Saying that I don't really like programs like that. Winamp 2.x plays music and that is all I want. i don't want a big application that can burn music, etc. I have Nero for that so why do I need iTunes to burn music also?! Also I don't like QuickTime which also put me off. I have QuickTime Alternative installed can't it just use that ;)

I am sure it is a good program for those that like it, it felt solid and had an OK UI but just isnt for me. I wont buy any music with it as I rip from my own CDs or download from Usenet. Considering it has taken so long I guess I am a little disappointed :shrugs: