iTunes for XP?

Question

WMP doesn't play nice with AAC files. You can download the Direct Show codecs over at 3ivx, associate M4A files with WMP and then double click your favorite AAC file and it should play (after asking you if the file is safe).

I imagine someone will get around to writting a WMA plugin for quicktime on windows, but at the moment the only apps I know that can deal with windows media files are xine, mplayer, and vlc - none of those have quicktime compatible plugins. Until this time Windows users had no real need for quicktime to do more than just play MOV files.

Without sounding too much like a jerk: this is the issue of encoding in non-standard audio formats. Using WMA puts up barriers to the non-windows world. Using Mpeg4 does the same, but the standard is well documented - so at least it was easy to make aac work on non-mac platforms.

If re-encoding using MP3 is an option for you - that might be something to consider. It will work everywhere, it's reasonably good quality/megabyte if you use LAME, and though not free - it's still free (as in beer).

So I can play AAC files in WMP, but can't put them in my library and stuff like that? I was looking forward to having AAC files on my comp since they're so much higher in quality than mp3s (space wise anyways) but I don't want to devote myself solely to iTunes, yet anyways.

Fixed my issue that i had posted about earlyer. Seems i had a album that iTunes did not like so i removed it.

I then tried again to add my mp3 folder to the iTunes library and this time it worked perfect.

Also iTunes has not changed any of my folder or file names which is a good thing.

This has a nice playlist layout but my god, it sure is a memory hog. IT is a CPU hog when Audio Enhancements are enabled. It adds 2 services that aren't even nessicary(iTunes Helper and iPod service). IT should only turn on the iPod service if you actually have drivers for an iPod installed on your system(meaning you have an iPod). At least you can disable the iPod Service which also disables the iTunes Helper. It doesn't automatically retrieve and display album art(you have to manually drag album art pics to the album art popup), It doesn't have a taskbar player and It doesn't even play video. I think I'll stick with WMP9.

post-12-1066348065.jpg

Edited by Zombie9920

I have heard that it will still be the clean versions of the albums :(

Dunno how true it is though.

I haven't bought any songs, but I've seen many labeled with an 'Explicit' icon

,Oct 16 2003, 22:33]
Anyone else having iTunes crash when adding a large folder of music to the library.

When i tell iTunes to add my mp3 folder which has well over 40 gigs in it, iTunes starts adding then after about a minute it crash's. If i add the folders one by one it has no problems but i'll damned if im adding that many folders maunally.

Will say that iTunes seems to have a much cleaner sound.

Yep, that happens to me too... I already uninstalled it, it?s not superior to WMP9 anyway.

Im not having any problem with adding large folders.

btw, care to explain how its not superior? :rolleyes::

1 - Well, for starters, apparently it has a bug (happened to somebody else that posted here, so it WILL happen to a lot of other people as well).

2 - And then it?s a slower, heavier piece of software than WMP9 (it also adds a service and a startup executable, whcih gobble up RAM). It doesn?t sound better than any of the media players I know IMO and the equalizer is pointless to me, as I like the sound as pure as it comes.

3 - Its media library philosophy is different from WMP?s but not better IMO, it?s a even a bit more confusing. It doesn?t retrieve Album cover art or media info from Mp3s, which is something that WMP does...

4- Also, it has that Mac look, which doesn?t combine with Windows at all.

It doesn?t have any feature that I need that WMP9 doesn?t have... and for the ones I need I?m better off with WMP.

1 - Well, for starters, apparently it has a bug (happened to somebody else that posted here, so it WILL happen to a lot of other people as well).

Yeah, like WMP's security problems are the best display of programming in the world :rolleyes: I'm suprised a peice of software like this, developed in under a year, doesn't have more bugs, to be honest...

2 - And then it?s a slower, heavier piece of software than WMP9 (it also adds a service and a startup executable, whcih gobble up RAM). It doesn?t sound better than any of the media players I know IMO and the equalizer is pointless to me, as I like the sound as pure as it comes.
I'll give you this one, it's not as streamlined as WMP or other players, but it *is* new, so I think it's fair to give a chance in this regard.
3 - Its media library philosophy is different from WMP?s but not better IMO, it?s a even a bit more confusing. It doesn?t retrieve Album cover art or media info from Mp3s, which is something that WMP does...

I think the WMP way is confusing, personally. iTunes puts search and browse right next to each other. Browse is a three-paned format that narrows down choices as your select from left to right. It's a proven usable format, and you probably don't like it just because you're stuck thinking of WMP. Unfortunately, no matter how well you design the use of your applications, users may be stuck with another paradigm in mind. So, there's a hurdle to overcome there. Regardless, for people not as set in mind as yourself, the iTunes layout provides for more clear organization of your music without creating clutter (like the tree view of WMP can lead to very easily). Open up several trees in WMP and things start to get confusing from the end-user's perspective quickly, even though you may be used to it by now.

4- Also, it has that Mac look, which doesn?t combine with Windows at all.

Ok, so use a different theme or get over it. I could care less if it was purple and flashing as long as it plays the music I bought just fine. While there are options to spruce up our computer's appearance out there, as long as it's usable, it's done well, IMO.

Usually Apple will go to the CLEAN versions of songs if they're on the front panel of the Music Store.

Here's an example of one... the 2Pac album.. if you click on the image on the front of the iTunes Music Store page, it'll take you to the clean version.

help1.jpg

and then select the correct version you would like to browse/download.

help2.jpg

and sometimes Singles will appear like this, so you can see what's what...

help3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Can anyone help me, I am getting a error message that reads like this:

Unable to create InstallDriver instance,

Return code: -2147024894

that's why I clicked on the install icon. I ahve redownloaded just in case the file was curupted but no it still does the same thing. I have windows xp pro and a amd 2000+ with a 5600ultra.

Question...We can share music right?

I'm on a network (my PC has the router) and I wanna share music with my bro (eachothers music)

I activated my sharing and his...now what do I do?

imho its

slow,

looks butt ugly,

seems to use 100%cpu when u have audio enhancements on,

pretty big gui.

It has a nice media libary layout tho

think i might stick to wmp9

funny, itunes rarely goes above 6% on my cpu...

thats whack... it shoulda asked you or something. hmm.

i glady formatted mine... all my good tunes are on my pc here rather than my mac at the workplace.

Yeah, like WMP's security problems are the best display of programming in the world :rolleyes: I'm suprised a peice of software like this, developed in under a year, doesn't have more bugs, to be honest...

I'll give you this one, it's not as streamlined as WMP or other players, but it *is* new, so I think it's fair to give a chance in this regard.

I think the WMP way is confusing, personally. iTunes puts search and browse right next to each other. Browse is a three-paned format that narrows down choices as your select from left to right. It's a proven usable format, and you probably don't like it just because you're stuck thinking of WMP. Unfortunately, no matter how well you design the use of your applications, users may be stuck with another paradigm in mind. So, there's a hurdle to overcome there. Regardless, for people not as set in mind as yourself, the iTunes layout provides for more clear organization of your music without creating clutter (like the tree view of WMP can lead to very easily). Open up several trees in WMP and things start to get confusing from the end-user's perspective quickly, even though you may be used to it by now.

Ok, so use a different theme or get over it. I could care less if it was purple and flashing as long as it plays the music I bought just fine. While there are options to spruce up our computer's appearance out there, as long as it's usable, it's done well, IMO.

Dude, he asked why I uninstalled it, and I answered him... a program that crashes in its first and every run is not promising... WMP9 is not perfect, but it works much better for me. We?re just in the first hours since ITunes?s launch... it might be more buggy than you think.

And if a program is purple and flashing... I?ll never use it:whistle:le:

Does anyone know whats going on here, or how I can fix it? It keeps giving me this error message everytime i load it... :-\

What theme is that? :)

I'm not finding anything either, blargh.

the resources must be somewhere, its obvious, maybe someone can track what files are installed and then we can look into each of those files