'This computer is never obsolete'

read the whole sticker ffs

it had a two year upgrade at heavily discounted prices. They were basically running the same deals that cell phone companies run so you would never have to run with wildly outdated tech for long.

Pretty sure I posted this last year.

Ah, yes, here is the picture. Thing is still sitting in my garage. :p

post-46379-0-78982600-1343501606_thumb.j

Not the same tower..

Okay, let's see:

?Windows 9x - check

?AOL - check

?Celeron - check

?Not even a flipping DVD drive - check

That machine was never on top to begin with! :laugh:

Glassed Silver:ios

• Like 2

Probably still works so its not technically obsolete

If you believe that, I have an 8 inch floppy I'd like to sell you...

• Like 2

OMG I HAD ONE OF THOSE TOO. Ran Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars, Diablo 1 and 2, and Starcraft like a boss.

I see your never obsolete base model and raise you the gaming model - the eMonster.

hpim0053j.jpg

I don't know where the power supply or hard drive are, but when I had them it still booted. Snappy machine for Windows 98. "The World's BEST Gaming Machine".

So many people have the permanent opinion that Windows "sucks" because of absolute **** hardware like this on the market. Nothing has destroyed Microsoft's Windows branding more than some of these crap-OEM "partners".

I have a 75X CD ROM drive. I was lucky to buy it before the drives were pulled of the shelves at the store.

75X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

So many people have the permanent opinion that Windows "sucks" because of absolute **** hardware like this on the market. Nothing has destroyed Microsoft's Windows branding more than some of these crap-OEM "partners".

To be fair, eMachines are decent. It goes without saying that some OEMs will try to push the limits of low cost hardware. For example, I've seen Dell laptops with 512mb of RAM running Vista out of the box. Just to save a few bucks, they skimped out on RAM, and then the consumer got the impression that Vista was bad.

These computers were probably good for the time. Like I said, my eMonster was fast with 98.

• Like 1

So many have that opinion for a few other reasons:

a) back in the day when consumer Windows was DOS based, it wasn't REMOTELY as stable or secure as the NT flavors.

b) people don't know how to maintain their machines and Windows doesn't take good care of itself - mostly when on FAT32 machines. (and of course FAT16 even further back in the day)

c) back then even more software had questionable codebase and or technologies borrowed.

Of course there are many more factors, some of them are due to OEMs, too, but seriously, Windows isn't all that innocent as your wording makes it seem.

Glassed Silver:ios

Actually, its pretty good example how CPU's of yester year became obsolite really quick. To the point where software and or the operating systems needed to have the cpu upgrade for a speed increase. But now days with modern Core 2's the i series of Intel CPU's and AMD cpu's, are so power full it will take years before an OS or software will slow them down.

I have a i7 920 I built when they first came out late in 2008. So that makes this PC a little under 4 years old. Since them i've upgraded the ram from 6gb to 12gb and added a 80GB Boot drive. It still handles EVERYTHING I would want to do. I don't plan on upgrading this machine for another 4 years.

Took my words of my mouth.

Now that basic software does not require humongous powerhouses to run.

Hell, is like you said. I'm still under a Core 2 Duo Mobie (2.4 GHz), which I'm still planning to upgrade next year, but it handles EVERY basic task very swiftly.

The only thing that it can't handle is Games at Max, and 720p+ Video Editing + Full Photoshop CS6.

Now on september 30th, I'll be having 4 years with my Dell XPS M1530, and the day I need more mobile power, I'll just throw it a new SSD to revive it.

I have a Toshiba A305 laptop that I bought for college in August 2008 - has 4 GB RAM, C2D, DVD burner, and 320 GB HD - ran Vista Home Premium x64 (I did an edition upgrade to Ultimate x64 2 months later), then Win 7 Ultimate x64 since Dec 2009. 4 years later it's still running fine.