Mall ordered USA flag removed from kiddie train

The Stars and Stripes will once again adorn the kiddie train at the Clackamas Town Center in Oregon after mall management rescinded an order banning the American flag.

A few weeks ago mall officials sent a letter to train conductor Thomas Phelps ordering him to remove the flags that decorated the train. The mall called them ?unapproved visuals.? :huh:

Phelps, a military veteran, refused ? and vowed to stand his ground ? even if it meant he was fired.

?Why would anybody ? anybody not want to see our flag displayed,? told KATU News. ?I may be fired. I may be thrown out of the mall but I am not taking it down.?

Phelps said he hoped people would rally around the flag ? and that?s exactly what happened. Local media outlets were flooded with hundreds of messages support Phelps.

As a result, mall management has had a change of heart, saying it never intended to offend or cause disrespect.

?We honor, support and respect what the United States flag represents,? the statement read. ?The actions and latter that were communicated certainly did not convey that. And for this, we apologize.?

The mall said the American flag would be displayed not only at the kiddie train but at other locations within the mall.

source & video

What is it with americans over the flag the UK doenst get so in a huff over a flag... HOWEVER I dont see why it cant be on a the train but i dont see the reason to be so upset about it.

• Like 2

What is it with americans over the flag the UK doenst get so in a huff over a flag... HOWEVER I dont see why it cant be on a the train but i dont see the reason to be so upset about it.

That's nice that you guys don't have pride in your flag, but most of us do. Especially those who have served under it.
  • Like 4

^ I tend to agree.

I like to see the flag, here and there. There was no reason to remove it from the train.

But I don't get all worked up if some idiot decides to burn a flag.

People should take notice what country they are in before they bitch about the flag.

I'm not bothered by the flag and I don't care. But when someone is in the US and Complains about the US flag being displayed, they need to get bent. Then I care.

That's nice that you guys don't have pride in your flag, but most of us do. Especially those who have served under it.

Were just used to having things taken away

• Like 3

They serve a country not a flag I dont care for some metaphysical symbology.

^ I tend to agree.

I like to see the flag, here and there. There was no reason to remove it from the train.

But I don't get all worked up if some idiot decides to burn a flag.

Indeed i dont get it.

People should take notice what country they are in before they bitch about the flag.

I'm not bothered by the flag and I don't care. But when someone is in the US and Complains about the US flag being displayed, they need to get bent. Then I care.

Well there is an international world out there and like in the UK how many dont like the "english flag" there can be internal objections.

Were just used to having things taken away

Like what I dont see what the big deal over flags is INTERNALLY within a home nation.

• Like 4

You obviously don't know very much about the USA but that's forgivable. Go look up the pledge of allegiance.

Really? You don't get what it means to serve under a flag?

Mainly that worship of real estate isn't indoctrinated into us from an early age.

Well there is an international world out there and like in the UK how many dont like the "english flag" there can be internal objections.

I see that as pretty sad. To have people move into your country and not appreciate it enough to respect the flag..

Mainly that worship of real estate isn't indoctrinated into us from an early age.

There's a lot of things indoctrinated into the British at an early age..

There's a lot of things indoctrinated into the British at an early age..

Not really, our people generally think freely.

I see that as pretty sad. To have people move into your country and not appreciate it enough to respect the flag..

Mexicans do it all the time, move to CA you'll see Mexican flags flying higher than the U.S flag sometimes. It's bullcrap, If you move here I have no problem with you being proud of where you come from but respect where you live. Want to fly the Mexican flag higher than the U.S flag? Go ahead but move back to Mexico first.

Not really, our people generally think freely.

Lol that's a joke if you're the poster boy for free thinkers than the U.K is pretty narrow minded.

Mexicans do it all the time, move to CA you'll see Mexican flags flying higher than the U.S flag sometimes. It's bullcrap, If you move here I have no problem with you being proud of where you come from but respect where you live. Want to fly the Mexican flag higher than the U.S flag? Go ahead but move back to Mexico first.

I acknowledge that it happens, it is unfortunate.

Oh please, if it's so "materialistic" and shouldn't be symbolic of a country then why do you have one at all? Why is a flag universally used to claim land/property in the name of a country?

Oh please, if it's so "materialistic" and shouldn't be symbolic of a country then why do you have one at all? Why is a flag universally used to claim land/property in the name of a country?

Identification purposes. And a way to breed obedience into citizens. Judging by the comments in this thread it clearly works pretty well.

Think of it this way: if it's not such a big deal why would they even make a policy addressing it? Is it supposed to be offensive or something?

Identification purposes. And a way to breed obedience into citizens. Judging by the comments in this thread it clearly works pretty well.

Heaven forbid we actually be proud of the country we're from.

Heaven forbid we actually be proud of the country we're from.

I have better things to do with my time than to spend it blindly worshipping real estate against reason and logic. Blind patriotism breeds obedience and oppression, the government are the only group that actually benefits from so many people's blind patriotism.

• Like 2

I have better things to do with my time than to spend it blindly worshipping real estate against reason and logic. Blind patriotism breeds obedience and oppression, the government are the only group that actually benefits from so many people's blind patriotism.

Pride does not equal blind worship

Even though I am proud to live in this country; I am still critical of things I see wrong with it.

That's nice that you guys don't have pride in your flag, but most of us do.

It's not a lack of pride, it's just that most people from other countries don't treat their national flag with the same reverence as Americans. A flag is just a representation of the national identity; it's not worthy of respect in and of itself, though it's a great way to show your support during international sporting events. The idea of pledging allegiance to a flag is ridiculous and I can't think of any other country that does it at all, let alone as a requirement of the education system. It's indoctrination, especially the use of the term "under God" - it's also ironic considering that American was founded on the principle of religious freedom.

I agree with Sylar0. It's strange that people are so obsessed with the American flag and that people would oppose a direct policy from management but there really wasn't any need to ask him to take it down.

• Like 2

...? There is no line between irritation, blind patriotism, and complete obedience?

...? There is no line between irritation, blind patriotism, and complete obedience?

Not to Javik, it's obvious that to him everything is black or white; no different shades in between.

• Like 1

In a country that browbeats citizens into pledging allegiance to a flag, not really.