ADSL & Router Questions

Hello I Have just got broadband installed, and was wondering what are Errored Seconds and CRC Errors,

Many Thanks

Richard :rolleyes:

post-32-1067986570.jpg

CRC errors are caused by packet loss. The seconds are the number of seconds in which they occured.

When data is sent from your PC to anotehr PC, or vice versa over the internet it is broken into 'Chunks' and then rebuilt at each end and an algorythem is used to calculate that this operation was completed sucesfully this is the CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check).

1 CRC error in 5 minutes wont have an adverse effect on your ADSL connection. If you get excessive CRC errors try tweaking you MTU size that your PC uses, and that your Router uses (if possible).

More about MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) here : http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

those errors are on a lower OSI layer.

tcp/ip values have nothing to do with those errors..

those errors are on your DSL line.

however like Inertia said, 1 error in 5min isn't going to make any difference to your connection.

here are stats from my modem.

as you can see in 15hours i have 6.5k errors :D

that's on about 100megs uploaded, 1gig downloaded

post-32-1068008256.png

Edited by MxxCon

well I did forget to add that the packet loss would be on the ATM on the line, but inevitable this causes packet loss on the Point to Point Protocol, and hence does result in slight latency on the TCP/IP protocol , but only for the miliseconmd that it happens.