Windows 7 SE?

Microsoft needs to release a Windows 7 Second Edition. Microsoft would slim down the amount of code in Windows 7 and make it as fast as Windows 8, but without Metro. They could also include all of the new features that is in Windows 8 like the new ribbon interface and task manager. It would be Windows 7 with all of the new features of Windows 8, but it would retain the start menu and the start button for desktop users! They did this back then like Windows ME and Windows 2000, so why not do it with a second version of Windows 7 and Windows 8? Windows 7 is a more serious OS for productivity unlike Windows 8 that has silly apps like Angry Birds!

Microsoft needs to release a Windows 7 Second Edition. I am using Windows 7 on a desktop. I still cannot get used to not having a start menu. The interface is a sloppy mess, things that are supposed to open in the desktop, oddly open up in the metro ui. I had to change all of the file associations not to open in metro. To serve the Windows users like me, Microsoft should further slimline the kernel of Windows 7 and release it as Windows 7 Second Edition. There was nothing wrong with Windows 7, nothing. The start menu is better because everything is in one thing. Windows 8 works on any devices, but it severely shortchanges actual pc users. Microsoft really should have released two OSs instead of making Windows 8 this tablet/PC hybrid monster!

Think you need to edit your post a little.

I am saying that Windows 8 is a disaster. Microsoft should release a Windows 7 second edition, Microsoft would slim down the amount of code and everything and make it as fast as Windows 8, but keep the start menu and button. Microsoft could also add the ribbon interace and new features like the task manager!

I am saying that Windows 8 is a disaster. Microsoft should release a Windows 7 second edition, Microsoft would slim down the amount of code and everything and make it as fast as Windows 8, but keep the start menu and button. Microsoft could also add the ribbon interace and new features like the task manager!

re-read your main post and look at your topic title. you constantly say Windows 7 when you mean Windows 8

I'm pretty sure you mean Windows 8 SE and not 7. it would make no since going backwards for a new version

either way, it's not going to happen

You're right, there is nothing wrong with Windows 7, meaning there is no need for a Windows 7 SE. Regardless of that, it would never happen anyway.

If you can't live without the Start Menu, the various third party Start Menu replacements (I prefer Start8) do the job just fine. Start8 and two check boxes later you'll never see the Modern environment or the Charms bar ever again.

re-read your main post and look at your topic title. you constantly say Windows 7 when you mean Windows 8

I'm pretty sure you mean Windows 8 SE and not 7. it would make no since going backwards for a new version

either way, it's not going to happen

No, he actually wants them to not improve Windows 8, but release some crazy Windows 7 SE because they took away one button. :laugh:

No, Microsoft had two operating systems released concurrently back then like Windows ME and WIndows 2000. So they should have a Windows 7 Second Edition and a Windows 8 released, one for actual pc users and one for less serious pc users.

Yeah his idea is to scrap Windows 8 and continue working on Windows 7.

But that will never happen... When have Microsoft ever taken a step back? If things don't work they just bring an improved version out and then all is well.

No, Microsoft had two operating systems released concurrently back then like Windows ME and WIndows 2000. So they should have a Windows 7 Second Edition and a Windows 8 released, one for actual pc users and one for less serious pc users.

the home and business versions were running separate for awhile before those 2 versions. XP combined the 2 kernels for the reason of making a more stable OS all around

there's no reason to separate things again leading to more work to be done and 2 most likely lower quality products

It is not taking a step back. It would be taking a step forward with Windows 7!

Windows 7 SE, would basically be Windows 8 with the Windows 7 start menu and button. I've been using Windows 8 on my desktop since 2012, and I still think Windows 7 is better, although Windows 8 is slightly faster. The interface in Windows 8 is very messy, I had to change all of the file associations in Windows 8 not to open in metro. Also, when you put a usb drive in windows 8, a metro like sub menu comes up rather than the regular desktop one.

It makes 100% sense to me, and I agree. I just can't get used to Metro.

I have Windows 8 and rarely use any of the apps. I click Chrome after startup and take it from there. And when I do need to access the start screen, it is as easy as using the start menu.

The only time MS have done a second edition is with Windows 98. I doubt there will be another "Second Edition" Windows. Besides, I'm fairly certain that MS isn't going to drop the Start Screen, just because some people can't get used to change.

Really, if you set the Start Screen up in an efficient manner, it can be even more effective/efficient than the start menu. Either that, or use a 3rd party app, that lets you get the start menu back in Windows 8.

Windows 7 SE, would basically be Windows 8 with the Windows 7 start menu and button. I've been using Windows 8 on my desktop since 2012, and I still think Windows 7 is better, although Windows 8 is slightly faster. The interface in Windows 8 is very messy, I had to change all of the file associations in Windows 8 not to open in metro. Also, when you put a usb drive in windows 8, a metro like sub menu comes up rather than the regular desktop one.

once again, just install Start8 and be done with it

there's no logical reason to release 2 versions for that small of difference. no company would do something like in this day and age

Here is a list of things that should be fixed in Windows 8

1. Fix the messy monstrous combined metro/desktop ui

2. Make it easier to shut windows 8 down

3. Allow desktop users to boot to the desktop automatically.

4. Put an option in the setup to for either desktop pcs or tablets.

5. Put back the DVD playback capability.

If Microsoft issued W7 SP2 with some of the good features of W8 then most if not all W7 users would be happy.

However, Microsoft has stated that SP2 will never be issued which leaves us techies several hundred megs. of

updates to download. Shame on you Microsoft, we paid you good money for W7 and now we are forgotten.

Perhaps they could scale metro down and make it so it is not full screen! They could scale metro to one side of the screen in the desktop!

Here is a list of things that should be fixed in Windows 8

1. Fix the messy monstrous combined metro/desktop ui

2. Make it easier to shut windows 8 down

3. Allow desktop users to boot to the desktop automatically.

4. Put an option in the setup to for either desktop pcs or tablets.

5. Put back the DVD playback capability.

1. is being improved in Windows Blue

2. charmbar > settings > power. what's so hard about that? or ctrl + alt + del then power down in the corner same place it's been since vista

3. this is the only thing me and many other people will agree with you on

4. no real point

5. they explained why it was removed. so few people used it that it was costing more to have the codec included than it was worth

• Like 2