SCREENSHOTS Build 9364

It's still Windows 8 with the slightly better Modern UI. Nothing more. Microsoft should have made the UI more attractive. And (FOR ME) the lack of the start menu is a killer and I don't like using a "fix" to bring a feature back.

It's not going to make me upgrade my Win7 PC to this.

• Like 1

General OS enhancements

• Looks like the overall memory foot print has gone down

That's pretty damn interesting considering its already low.

Didn't go through all the thread but has anyone checked the search. Currently it's split between the different local search categories and apps - have they changed that such that there is no distinction between the "apps", "settings" and "files" sections? Basically local search returns everything present locally into one screen, and then if I want to filter out stuff I can do that later on ...

They're calling this a early build which it probably is, not even M2 yet. Who knows what else is coming and for a free update I'll take it.

• Like 2

Everyone crying about desktop improvements...what else do you need. Start Menu/Button answers need not reply. The desktop in Windows 8 is better than in Windows 7 in basically every way.

And unfortunately, startisback does not work, looks as if Microsoft are trying to purposely kill start replacements. Let's hope Tihiy finds a way around it.

And unfortunately, startisback does not work, looks as if Microsoft are trying to purposely kill start replacements. Let's hope Tihiy finds a way around it.

startisback was said that it would probably break with some updates. can you test to see if some others like Start8 still work? i think Start8 is implemented differently from startisback so that it won't break due to updates (i'd say this is the perfect time to test that)

Thanks!

I wonder if they'll end up rethinking the search charm for other apps too...

I don't think that search box will make it into the final build. It looks like it's just there to assist developers just like the option to revert back to the old control panel. It doesn't make sense to have a per-app search box.

Didn't go through all the thread but has anyone checked the search. Currently it's split between the different local search categories and apps - have they changed that such that there is no distinction between the "apps", "settings" and "files" sections? Basically local search returns everything present locally into one screen, and then if I want to filter out stuff I can do that later on ...

I don't mind the apps, settings, files settings but I'd prefer it if they added an All section that acted as the default. You could then filter on apps, settings or files if you needed to restrict your search further.

• Like 2

I don't mind the apps, settings, files settings but I'd prefer it if they added an All section that acted as the default. You could then filter on apps, settings or files if you needed to restrict your search further.

This x1000000. They simply HAVE to add a universal search.

• Like 2

If Microsoft wanted to purposely kill start menu/button replacements for good, they could. This is just the result of changes in the OS, it could be something as little as version numbers preventing it from launching. Just because something breaks in a non-released early version of a windows build doesn't automagically mean Microsoft is trying to kill your precious app.

If Microsoft wanted to purposely kill start menu/button replacements for good, they could. This is just the result of changes in the OS, it could be something as little as version numbers preventing it from launching. Just because something breaks in a non-released early version of a windows build doesn't automagically mean Microsoft is trying to kill your precious app.

Someone was bound to jump to that silly conclusion the second one of the many start menu apps didn't work.

Yeah the search bar in the settings app is really buggy and overlays on many items and yes it isn't on the start screen!

Can you change your explorer colour to black and see if you can still make out the Text in the title?

What kind of black? Full?

Advanced Appearance Settings can change the font colour in 7, can't find it in 8

It was removed back in the betas.

Looks like .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 can not be installed, even running the installers manually, or add/remove windows features

Possibly the reason none of the 3rd party Start Menus work