Just how many people hate Windows 8?

I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. No one is clamoring for touch on their computers. It's been available for a long time. People barely use Kiosks. Touch on smartphones and tablets isn't there because people a yearning for a more interactive experience with their computing device. It's there because that's the only viable input method for those devices. You can very well have a mobile device if you have to lug around input peripherals. This also limits the devices usability, but people only want quick consumption on mobile devices.

Children do want interactivity in all things. And they find it quite enjoyable to smudge a screen and move things around with their fingers and get snot everywhere.

I love these grandiose interactivity theories but it's much simpler than that. In fact, it's physical. I think the only place other than nice applications that people want touch is say the AIO at home in the kitchen for the casual users who watch a movie and want it big while cooking or exercising, and who just facebook and email, and web browse. Even then when they write something they want a keyboard.

That doesn't mean it isn't cool to look at, nor does it mean there aren't millions of these casual users who barely use a home PC and touchscreens may be more convenient for them.

Until we all basically do a bunch of nothing on a desktop, the physical limitations and requirements of touch will keep it from being for workstation computing. One day people who actually do a lot of productive stuff on a computer will be outnumbered by general consumers but we're not close to that yet IMO.

Touch on the desktop is an untapped market, it would be foolish to ignore it.

People do want touch, but before Windows 8, there hasn't been anyone pursuing it enough for people to take notice to it.

People hate because change scares them. I swear, the next person that tells me that the Office Ribbon was a bad idea will get kicked.

People hate because change scares them. I swear, the next person that tells me that the Office Ribbon was a bad idea will get kicked.

I couldn't stand that. The Ribbon is a million times more user friendly than those God awful 90s era drop downs. >_<

Office Ribbon was a bad idea

• Like 2

I think the Office Ribbon is a brilliant way to overcome a metric boatload of UI issues.

However I do sympathise with those that are annoyed that they have to redo their muscle memory.

The Best Windows is xp it has last almost 13 years old. Windows vista 7 8 or blue wont even last that long that long every windows system comes out now is crap people will just have to take the time to learn linux because i think will be the OS of the future thats just a opinion

The Best Windows is xp it has last almost 13 years old. Windows vista 7 8 or blue wont even last that long that long every windows system comes out now is crap people will just have to take the time to learn linux because i think will be the OS of the future thats just a opinion

7 will easily match XPs run if not beat it

I purchased a windows 8 computer a couple of months ago. Prior to purchase I did a great deal of research on the operating system so that I was prepared to use it. I found it was very simple to navigate and set up and extremely easy to use. There was no frustration and little confusion - it is NOT rocket science to use this system - I believe that the problem is that people just don't like to have learn something new - I find learning something new to be a fun challenge and one that always leads to new knowledge and better brain functioning. We can argue forever about whether this was a good or bad move for Microsoft and whether the functionality and changes were really necessary to the operation of our computers - however, the operating system is here - and is probably going to remain because of the touch screen market - so I believe its best to get over it and get on with progressing with the tech world as it is.

To the person who just could not adjust - I really have little to say except that my 13 year old runs my computer just fine and it took him about five minutes to navigate and enjoy windows 8

I purchased a windows 8 computer a couple of months ago. Prior to purchase I did a great deal of research on the operating system so that I was prepared to use it. I found it was very simple to navigate and set up and extremely easy to use. There was no frustration and little confusion - it is NOT rocket science to use this system - I believe that the problem is that people just don't like to have learn something new - I find learning something new to be a fun challenge and one that always leads to new knowledge and better brain functioning. We can argue forever about whether this was a good or bad move for Microsoft and whether the functionality and changes were really necessary to the operation of our computers - however, the operating system is here - and is probably going to remain because of the touch screen market - so I believe its best to get over it and get on with progressing with the tech world as it is.

To the person who just could not adjust - I really have little to say except that my 13 year old runs my computer just fine and it took him about five minutes to navigate and enjoy windows 8

How many more people are going to repeat and repeat and repeat that people are scared of change?

Its nothing to do with change, its nothing to do with the complexity of the OS.

And yes a 13 year old would be able to use it, it wasn't that long ago they played with fisher price toys.

Windows 8, so simple even a child can use it

Untitled-1.jpg

How many more people are going to repeat and repeat and repeat that people are scared of change?

And yes a 13 year old would be able to use it, it wasn't that long ago they played with fisher price toys.

Untitled-1.jpg

If it's not complexity, or change, then what is it?

Linux will never be more than a tinker toy. Linux lacks everything needed to become a mainstream OS.

If it's not complexity, or change, then what is it?

Retardedness.

There are two types of change, sensible and productive, and retarded and counter-productive.

The latter is 8

Touch on the desktop is an untapped market, it would be foolish to ignore it.

One man's untapped market, is another man's nonexistent market. Or a market greatly overestimated, since touchscreens have been available, which has been a long time. The demand for touch on desktops did not drive the creation of the Modern UI. The iPad did.

Yes, enthusiasts who code, build their own PCs from the ground up, overclock to the Nth degree, hack and crack all day long, are scared of change and Metro ... I get it now.

That simply isn't true, even if you were born in 1999 and only experienced smartphones with touch screens. Non-touch smartphones were viable and were around for many years until the software and hardware matured and supplied the experience we have today.

That alone makes your whole post, and argument, incorrect. You might just as well argue and be one of those people that say that physical keyboard smartphones will always be superior to touch keyboards...

The argument is not invalid. software and hardware matured on smartphones for touch, because the UIs prior to iOS were more or less unusable and the masses were not interested in styluses.

And phones with physical keyboards will always be superior to touch keyboards for those that type a lot and are able to do so more efficiently.

I'm not sure how you comprehended my comment, but touch is superior on phones and tablets do to the physical nature, the mobile nature, and the nature of the work the majority of people do on small mobile devices. They generally consume, that is why live tiles are appropriate there and originated, for all meaningful purposes, there.

I couldn't stand that. The Ribbon is a million times more user friendly than those God awful 90s era drop downs. >_<

The Ribbon still employs drop down where it is more efficient, as well as scroll boxes. And it is highly customizable, and you can hide it.

• Like 2

Yes, until he figures out not even "Send to->Email recipient" works because the Mail app doesn't even support MAPI. Awesome for businesses. Or that all the photos stay stuck in his camera/phone because the photo import doesn't allow deleting the photos. Intuitiveness as its best.

• Like 2

7 will easily match XPs run if not beat it

Not if MS fixes up 8. If 8.1 released by July, and they keep that pace of improvement, 7 will be overtaken by Christmas. That's a big if though. The Core apps still aren't up to par IMO. Not even close, but we haven't seen what will be in 8.1.

People with too much time on their hands that feel the need to complain about it every chance they get.

You don't like 8? Use 7. That simple.

Feels good

Gonna go back to Vista after my test in the morning

Not if MS fixes up 8. If 8.1 released by July, and they keep that pace of improvement, 7 will be overtaken by Christmas. That's a big if though. The Core apps still aren't up to par IMO. Not even close, but we haven't seen what will be in 8.1.

I think if you forget about the Metro side of 8 for now, and look at the normal side of it, there is a lot of things that need improving before it will match 7 imo

There are unexplainable bugs as there were in Vista that seem to be unique to the user, my major one was the entire explorer crashing if I disabled the Ethernet adapter, all drivers were up to date etc

Other things like not giving us a manual F8 safe mode option before boot, I enjoy overclocking and obviously run into bluescreens when I'm trying to stabilize an OC, Win 8 is a certifiable nightmare when that happens with its new AI that you can't disable or override, and it takes you through a 20 minute boot repair every couple of failed boots with no way to cancel them

Installing games that worked 100% under 7, would refuse to even launch under 8, just some exception error and CTD, even after a fresh install of OS and game

Been a while since I used it but I know there were a load more normal desktop side errors that made the whole experience unbearable for someone who uses his machine as much as I do.

The only 2 things I liked about 8 were ISO mounting (Which Daemon Tools Lite does fine) and the ability to scan C:\ without rebooting

The rest of it was no better than 7 in my experience, and there were a massive amount of cons that outweighed the 2 pros mentioned above.

I've never skipped an OS until now, I have always been the one who pushed my family and friends into updating their OS to the latest, even if it was not the greatest, but this time Im telling them all to stick with 7

Not only because imo it is the better OS by miles, but I really could not be doing with the headache I would have every day from them all wanting me to show them this and fix that and explain why this doesn't work normally anymore etc etc

Not if MS fixes up 8. If 8.1 released by July, and they keep that pace of improvement, 7 will be overtaken by Christmas. That's a big if though.

That's not an if, it's a what the hell are you smoking, crack?" :D

Retardedness.

There are two types of change, sensible and productive, and retarded and counter-productive.

The latter is 8

It's far from retarded. It's setting up for the next decade or so in computing. The 90s had the rise of personal computing, 2000s had the rise of mobile, now the teens will see those two come together in ways unimagined. Touch will transform the way we work. You just have to be open to it, and take a step outside of that box of mundaneness.

It's far from retarded. It's setting up for the next decade or so in computing. The 90s had the rise of personal computing, 2000s had the rise of mobile, now the teens will see those two come together in ways unimagined. Touch will transform the way we work. You just have to be open to it, and take a step outside of that box of mundaneness.

Did you read my previous posts?

I did open up to it, I embraced it with open arms and made it my sole OS for a long time.

It was terrible.

Even if 8 is a needed step to the 'future of computing' - it doesn't make it any less horrible to use.

Vista was a necessary step to 7, but Vista is still a terrible OS no matter what role it played.

-

"You just have to be open to it, and take a step outside of that box of mundaneness."

You need to open your eyes and see that the sun does not shine out of its colourful tiled behind, it is a hacked together and poorly designed OS.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, imo the reason MSFT decided to make the move to ModernUI and all that comes with it is that they saw how much money was being generated from apps by Google and Apple and realized that they needed to get something out there quickly in an attempt to get some of the app market pie.

Now this initial foray has been established they can start refining the whole way it works and give the end user the choice.

I`m pretty sure that`s what most people would like, i`m not saying you can`t do this now, but if the whole way it functions is made more pleasing then the OS as a whole would be more appealing (both for touch and keyboard and mouse).

Touch will certainly help in some areas, but in others it becomes a hindrance, it`s a fine balancing act which given time will hopefully improve.

• Like 3

Overtake Win 7 in 5 months, yea ok lol

Edit: Christmas of what year? 2016? 2017? 2018?

Not it's installed base, but in sales and Enterprise deployments yes. But I did say that's a big if. If MS shores it up and that's no easy task.

That's not an if, it's a what the hell are you smoking, crack?" :D

I don't know Warwagon, I'm pretty surprised MS is listening and is going to clean up Modern UI search and unify it. That's pretty significant. MS and their unapologetic supporters were stonewalling on that, and they have capitulated. Let's think positive.

At the end of the day, imo the reason MSFT decided to make the move to ModernUI and all that comes with it is that they saw how much money was being generated from apps by Google and Apple and realized that they needed to get something out there quickly in an attempt to get some of the app market pie.

Now this initial foray has been established they can start refining the whole way it works and give the end user the choice.

I`m pretty sure that`s what most people would like, i`m not saying you can`t do this now, but if the whole way it functions is made more pleasing then the OS as a whole would be more appealing (both for touch and keyboard and mouse).

Touch will certainly help in some areas, but in others it becomes a hindrance, it`s a fine balancing act which given time will hopefully improve.

Excellent post.

it is a hacked together and poorly designed OS.

That's an interesting statement. Is it hacked together? Absolutely. Is it poorly designed? I'm not so sure, ask again after a few point releases.

It is poorly designed for a desktop, but they have shown signs they are going to work on that.

I've been thinking about Modern UI and the expanded Snap Views in Blue. Take Photoshop, if you could 3/4 the main canvas, snapped to 1/4 that held all menus including a file picker, and dynamically switch to context sensitive options instead of tob/bottom context menus, that could work, maybe even well!

If you could drag and drop between snap views, that would be excellent as well. But if you do all that, I'm not sure why you would bother and not just keep the Explorer UI. Hmmm....