AutoPatcher XP - SlipStream - How To?

Hello, I read through much of the AutoPatcher XP thread and all I saw was folks asking once inawhile how to "slipstream" autopatcher into an XPsp1, but no answers.

So, I'm here to gratefully ask if some would be kind enough to post a tutorial on how to "slipstream" AutoPatcher XP into a CD and it work of course? ;)

Of course, such a tutorial would be a great Sticky as well.

Thanks..... :) And thanks to the Developers, I look forward to using it.

actually, we said this:

slipstreaming is a process where you make Setup install updated files right on the fly during the setup process... Hotfixes cannot be slipstreamed.

the only way to automatically install hotfixes etc during a windows setup is if they install AFTER the sertup process has finished, thus you need to do an unattended installation.

then, according to where the autopatcher xp.exe file is located you should have this into the RunOnce section of your unattended answer file:

"DriveLetter:\Path\To\AutoPatcher\autopatcher xp.exe" /unattend /noeula

the /unattend switch will tell AutoPatcher you dont want user interaction, so it installs the defaults (what the database maker has picked as defaults)

the /noeula switch forces AutoPatcher not to show the End-User License Agreement (which would need user interaction!)

If you think of it, it doesnt differ from using the 'regular way' (call batch file in RunOnce) only now its a GUI version...

If you need help creating unattended installations (you wont need the parts where you have to create batch files and setup programs) search on the neowin forum, and i bet you will find heaps of info... Basically you will need the Windows XP Deploy Tools, which will help you create an unattended answer file... The wizzard will ask you about the RunOnce section when its time...

/Raptor

no, unfortunately, AutoPatcher cannot slipstream to a CD... the reason is that it includes a wide range of hotfixes (which cannot all be slipstreamed), os components and registry tweaks... furthermore, if you had AutoPatcher add info in files (too much info there for only one of the file we include!) you would prolly end up with a completely useless file, which would then be no use after SP2 or something...

/Raptor

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to slipstream the update we want from autopatcher into a CD. This way we could save time from having manual type all the switches for every update into CD.

And........ Would their be other featues like replacing Notepad with Metapad ?? ( just an idea :D )

Slipstreaming is not possible, because hotfixes themselves cannot be slipstreames into the CD... The closest match to 'slipstreaming' process is the unattended install.

About the notepad replacement: Right now I dont know if we will ever include such thing, but if you want, you can add it yourself, by editing the database file. You will have to find the batch file commands you will need to do it, and then use look at our batch files/database for some examples on how to do it...

We might write a "How To Add entries in AutoPatcher XP" guide soon...

/Raptor

So let me get this right.... Autopatcher can be used to make a fully customised XP unnatended CD, with ones own selection of applications (provided they can be supported with the appropriate switches) - is this what autopatcher does? If not it would be cool if autopatcher did this - allowing for full automisation of the proceess of building a custom Windows XP CD - and even went as far perhaps as creating the final ISO for you too... That really would be a killer application with a lot of very relevant uses.

Its a pity I'm having trouble downloading it - but it seems quite popular on Emule, so i guess I'll get it eventually.... :)

Anyway thanks for the good work....

Q

So let me get this right.... Autopatcher can be used to make a fully customised XP unnatended CD, with ones own selection of applications (provided they can be supported with the appropriate switches) - is this what autopatcher does? If not it would be cool if autopatcher did this - allowing for full automisation of the proceess of building a custom Windows XP CD - and even went as far perhaps as creating the final ISO for you too... That really would be a killer application with a lot of very relevant uses.

Its a pity I'm having trouble downloading it - but it seems quite popular on Emule, so i guess I'll get it eventually.... :)

Anyway thanks for the good work....

Q

thats exactly what AutoPatcher XP is... a prebuilt database of all known hotfixes, os components, and popular tweaks, all configured to run silently, without bugging the end-user with questions and prompts... Administrators can really benefit from this, as they can pick exactly what to install and what not to install... they can also add their own tweaks/programs by just adding a few lines to the database...

/Raptor