Problems after installation

I installed the Auto Patcher program and I like the concept of it. I had a problem after I installed it though. I got this message

Explorer.EXE Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because UXTheme.dll

was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I couldn't get Windows to load up. Any clues to what happened? Good thing I backed-up

my drive before I installed the program.

Do this:

#1 get an original uxtheme.dll from a system that works and put it on a CD or floppy... if you have a network you can use that too...

#2 when windows give you the error, click on OK and then:

#3 press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up task manager, then

#4 New -> Task and type "cmd" (no quotes)... This will start the command prompt

#5 in the command prompt type this:

del %systemroot%\system32\uxtheme.dll

Hit enter, and it will ask yo for confirmation... Say Yes to that.

#6 Now type 1 of the following according to where you have the original uxtheme.dll

A. If you have it on a floppy:

copy A:\uxtheme.dll %systemroot%\system32\uxtheme.dll

B. If you have it on a CD:

copy D:\uxtheme.dll %systemroot%\system32\uxtheme.dll

C. If its on a network PC (make sure you got read rights for their system32 folder, or just the folder you will be copying this from)

copy \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARE\Path\To\uxtheme.dll %systemroot%\system32\uxtheme.dll

Now reboot your computer

/Raptor

Firstly I would just like to thank those responsible for putting together a fantastic prog to take all the hastle out of applying those updates, nevermind the hours saved by downloading them from the wu site!!!! WELL DONE :D

The problem... not a major one, just wondering if anyone else has had this as well.

The AP install goes smoothly (apart from the known messenger notification). I install the patches logged in as myself, with admin privilages, however, when I tried to logon in as a different user, the first time, when it creates the profile, i get a message similar to the following...

%NO%REMDIR%

It is in a box called Advanced INF Install....

Im not sure on the exact syntax, I am going to try a rebuild again, to see if I can replicate the problem, and take down the specifics. This has happened twice, after I have installed AP.

Anyone seen it, or something similar?

From what is happening, its like its trying to remove a directory, which does not exist, maybe because I hadnt logged into a user profile to create the profile directory?? Im just guessing...

Any ideas??

Yes..... I dont think its a messenger problem though, well, i suppose it oculd be anything. I get the OCX 11426 (or something like that) message, which is associated with messenger, as is noted in a post somewhere.

It only happens, when I first go into a new user account, when the profile is being created... as I said, its nothing major, and it only happens the once. Just wondered if it was associated with anythign AP does.

I will try again tonight, and document exactly what happens...

It may turn out not to be an AP problem, as I have also just been experimenting with unattended XP installs, and it is possible that I have an error in the winnt.sif.

Thanks

sometimes, windows runs a script to continue removing some files when pc restarts... so if you have other users, windows will run it on them too... But because it automatically ran on your account, the files it wants to remove do not exist... so thats why it gives an error... i remember this because i have two PCs, removed Windows Messenger on both, and both PCs have 2 users (network purposes)

It's from the Windows Messenger removal... it shouldnt worry you at all...

/Raptor