Unofficial AutoPatcher for Windows 2000 Thread

i have a question,

why does ap 2000 need sp4?can't sp3 be used because i've had problems with sp4 like slowdowns n errors

i know sp3 is a bit older

Well, it's just because SP4 is the newest, that's all. (Y)

I know you have said that autopatcher needs sp4 installed, but is it absolutely neccessary? Most of the critical patches can be run on a minimum of SP2.

Its would seem its the same patch for SP2 ,3 or 4 in Win 2k.

It would be nice for autopatcher to be able to run on SP2 as a minimum. (for critical patches at least)

Btw, great work ppl. :D

the objective of AP is to have completely up to date systems...

is there any reason not to have all the patches?

and if it's because "it slows your system down" that is absolutely incorrect.

it changes things like network settings n stuff like that

i know it's newer than sp3 but sp3 is stable,sp4 ain't so stable

If SP4 is unstable on your computer, then you may have problems with the hardware. Many people find SP4 stable so I don't know what you are talking about...

"changes network settings"? Where?

If SP4 is unstable on your computer, then you may have problems with the hardware. Many people find SP4 stable so I don't know what you are talking about...

"changes network settings"? Where?

Well I beta tested it (SP4) and the few errors I had were all fixed, so I'm kinda curious what it does to everyone's systems so that they don't like it.

a poll sounds like a good idea

also it was ntoskrnl.exe that kept giving me problems n forced me to reformat a few times(network install of sp4,i don't use the express installs)

that ntoskrnl.exe is part of sp4 and the other service packs

oh and it's something to do with the network installation of sp4 that screws up and it gave me an explorer.exe error after i tried to installing ie6

the express sofar hasen't caused any problems and i can't wait for the autoaptcher 2000 for when it gets released,all in good time,strange the express install seems to like me?!? :laugh:

oh and it's something to do with the network installation of sp4 that screws up and it gave me an explorer.exe error after i tried to installing ie6

the express sofar hasen't caused any problems and i can't wait for the autoaptcher 2000 for when it gets released,all in good time,strange the express install seems to like me?!? :laugh:

did you ever consider that the network install you downloaded may have been corrupted during the transfer, and try to redownload it?

my copy of the network install installs right but afterwards my icons n stuff starts disappearing n don't show up(like under add/remove the text labels n icons disappeared wheras under the express it is fine(it upgraded from sp3 network install to sp4

strange that the express install don't do those weird things

i never had a problem with the network install of sp3 or express of sp3

maybe getting a fresh copy would probably help

Okay guys, I have a question for you (anyone willing to try, let me know what you find)...

If you install a Windows Server (or Advanced Server) patch on a Windows 2000 Pro install and install it silently.... will it actually install? Or will it just quit. And either way, will it bring up dialog? I have an idea, but I sorta need to know first. :)

Okay guys, I have a question for you (anyone willing to try, let me know what you find)...

If you install a Windows Server (or Advanced Server) patch on a Windows 2000 Pro install and install it silently.... will it actually install?  Or will it just quit.  And either way, will it bring up dialog?  I have an idea, but I sorta need to know first.  :)

The patches are same to the best of my knowledge and it wouldn't matter. Server-only patches are separate.

If you are really desparate for a definitive answer, I'll put my 3-in-1 into good use and see what happens :o

arrr me is a software pirate, avast we swab!

The patches are same to the best of my knowledge and it wouldn't matter. Server-only patches are separate.

If you are really desparate for a definitive answer, I'll put my 3-in-1 into good use and see what happens :o

arrr me is a software pirate, avast we swab!

Well if you're willin'.... give it a shot... install some server-only patches as a silent install on Win2k Pro and let me know what happens. :) Arrrr!!

Well if you're willin'.... give it a shot... install some server-only patches as a silent install on Win2k Pro and let me know what happens.  :)  Arrrr!!

Actually I remembered... I did that exact same thing long time ago.

Used Win2k updates I downloaded for pro to install on server edition. Worked fine.

GIV EME TEH FREAKIN DOWNLO A D LINKS @!!! NOW WF KNRNWI!!

what's up with this.. i'm thinking of doing a dual boot, or just going back to win2k for a bit

also the reason why i'm not posting in here anymore is that i'm using xP SP2 beta 1 build 2055

Edited by freakyfriday

FYI The sun java version in Autopatcher XP is out of date.

Is it? It's 1.4.2_03... what's the newest version? According to this site: Sun Java Downloads, the newest version is: "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_03". :huh:

Also, I'm workin' on it all... just been doin' other stuff too... don't worry. :)